Incoming A4 Avant S-Line 1.4

Nickfrog

Reaction score
Hiya. I couldn't resist the recent lease deals so car coming in a few weeks, flat black, no options.

Couple of questions:

I have a Samsung S7 Edge, does it play nicely with the MMI thing ?

I'd like to be able to play my Spotify music off-line. What's the best method ? Bluetooth or Android Auto ?

With Android Auto, do I have plug the phone in for that to work ?

Thx

Nick

Hiya. I couldn't resist the recent lease deals so car coming in a few weeks, flat black, no options.

Couple of questions:

I'd like to be able to play my Spotify music off-line. What's the best method ? Bluetooth or Android Auto ?

Thx

Nick
I hope you enjoy the car, can't answer the questions about spotify but my S8 works fine with the mmi for my purposes however with android auto it has to be physically connected.

Reactions: Nickfrog

Couple of questions:

Thx

Nick

Congrats on the new car!

I'm afraid I'm an Apple guy but the principal is the same and I find that the music quality is better when the phone is plugged in, so I'd definitely recommend that if you have the choice. :)

S7 works fine with MMI and plugged in via android auto for Spotify.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - Does Android Auto only works when plugged in ? If not plugged, does BT takes over and still allows Spotify playing ?

If my Spotify is set to off-line playing, will Android Auto use any data to play music ?

Sorry for the avalanche of candid questions ! I am in my 40s'!!

Thanks guys - Does Android Auto only works when plugged in ? If not plugged, does BT takes over and still allows Spotify playing ?

If my Spotify is set to off-line playing, will Android Auto use any data to play music ?

Sorry for the avalanche of candid questions ! I am in my 40s'!!

Yes, Android Auto will only work when your device is plugged in otherwise it will default to BT and still allow Spotify to play.

I also tend to download stuff on Spotify and leave it in offline mode so I don't burn through data and I can confirm that works perfectly fine without using additional data.

Hope that helps! :)

It massively helps indeed !!! Cheers. Looking forward to the car actually, my last Audi was a B6 130 tdi Sport about 12 years ago.

Other question if I may : does anyone routinely fit a mountain bike in the back of an Avant B9 ?

I am planning to fit a bracket near the inside of the hatch to take the 15mm front forks (front wheel off of course) so that I can put the bike standing longitudinally in the middle of the car with the rear wheel through the 20% middle seat opening. Isthatgonnawork ?

I have just found out that the car will arrive at a fairly local dealer to me (Tunbridge Wells Audi). It's a lease through a broker.

Are dealers happy for me to pick up after PDI without any prep (assuming the broker doesn't insist on delivery) ? I tend to prefer that as they normally swirl the car and I'll do the prep myself anyway. It's flat black so that's all the more important.

Car to be delivered on Monday. £212 for insurance with £500 excess (safe post code, 48, no claims/points, 10 years NCD) - is that a fair price for a 1.4 Estate S-Line ?

Reactions: Theonenonly, DohNut and cuke2u
Cheers. I have no doubt they will have cleared the snow with a gritty yard broom though, the flat black paint will love that !!

Had assumed you were already in your car Mr Frog. Good luck for Monday then! I'm not a million miles from Tunbridge Wells, getting the car detailed/protected there in fact when it arrives.

In the end the car was originally one of Audi TW's allocation nicked within the retail group by the Swindon dealer to supply my broker so it has been PDied at the AUDI TW Centre and sent to Swindon for them to deliver it to me back in Sussex, logistically absurd but no other way around it... I have asked them not to prep it as I will DIY... but not holding my breath !!

Car to be delivered on Monday. £212 for insurance with £500 excess (safe post code, 48, no claims/points, 10 years NCD) - is that a fair price for a 1.4 Estate S-Line ?

I paid £289 for 1.4 saloon (350 excess) with 4 years ncd and no points and that with Aviva, so might be worth giving them a try as you may get better with your extra ncd (I have a 28% discount via using the my aviva app, you have to drive like a granny for 200 mile in any car to get the rating and discount, it really does work as my quotes before we’re a lot larger, even got my Mrs in on the action too, new driver, no ncd and £396 all in for a 1.0 107)

Thx. Good to know for future renewal. Aviva are great Company to deal with too so it makes sense.

Reactions: Theonenonly
Yep I'm with Aviva and use the app - can recommend them/it. Got my house & contents and travel insurance with them too, so its nice to be able to see all my policies in one place. Get good discounts if you have multiple policies with them as well.

When I got a quote for replacing the smax with the A4 the policy went down by some £70 pa.

Yep I'm with Aviva and use the app - can recommend them/it. Got my house & contents and travel insurance with them too, so its nice to be able to see all my policies in one place. Get good discounts if you have multiple policies with them as well.

When I got a quote for replacing the smax with the A4 the policy went down by some £70 pa.

I work for the Assistance provider of Aviva Travel Insurance so I hope we won't hear from you...! I have some of my pension with them and I think I can get discounts that way through the online portal so will give that a go. It's so easy to think you have saved £12.50 and when you claim...

Thinking about it my work pension is with them too. I must look like some sort of Aviva fanboy!

Ok so I just ran a motor quote from within MyAVIVA for a laugh. FM, £132 with a lower excess.

Tbf, £212 was based on what we paid 4 months ago for the Tiguan as I assume the A4 would have been inherently a bit more - cancelling would have cost like £50. Will deffo switch in 8 months time.

I have probably made the assumption that switching every year through an aggregator kept me within the market but clearly not...

Ok so I just ran a motor quote from within MyAVIVA for a laugh. FM, £132 with a lower excess.

Tbf, £212 was based on what we paid 4 months ago for the Tiguan as I assume the A4 would have been inherently a bit more - canceling would have cost like £50. Will deffo switch in 8 months time.

I have probably made the assumption that switching every year through an aggregator kept me within the market but clearly not...

Wow thats mega cheap!!

Exactly and using Confused has hidden the fact that premiums should have been going down rather than merely stagnate in my late 40's. I am paying £290 for the Megane Cup-S which should also come down although I am probably 3 times more likely to crash that. ..

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Theonenonly
Exactly and using Confused has hidden the fact that premiums should have been going down rather than merely stagnate in my late 40's. I am paying £290 for the Megane Cup-S which should also come down although I am probably 3 times more likely to crash that. ..

Haha, I'm not quite that far yet (early 30s) but my last insurance (10 plate c4) was nearly £800 compared to £286 for the A4.

I just don't know who makes the rules up, its barmy!

They say never auto renew but my premium went up £6 this year so couldn’t be ***** trying to find a better deal.

Best £6 I spent! Find insurance such a bore.

Car being delivered at 8.00am on Monday on a transporter. I was planning to wfh but looks like I might have to test drive it to the orifice.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcb27, DohNut and Theonenonly
Car being delivered at 8.00am on Monday on a transporter. I was planning to wfh but looks like I might have to test drive it the orifice.

Nice! Remember to post some pics when you get it! Let me know if you instantly fall in love with it! I sure have!

With regards to aviva i wrote my
A4 off 1st week of December..

My fault... as it was less than 12 months old brand new car delivered within 3 weeks.

Only hold up was the audi internal transfer between garages!

Reactions: Theonenonly and Nickfrog
With regards to aviva i wrote my
A4 off 1st week of December..

My fault... as it was less than 12 months old brand new car delivered within 3 weeks.

Only hold up was the audi internal transfer between garages!

Did Aviva cover you under their policy for the replacement, (without GAP) They say they do so just wondering what the process was like?

Hope the only casualty was the car and everyone was ok?

Nice! Remember to post some pics when you get it! Let me know if you instantly fall in love with it! I sure have!

I'll make a confession. This really is not my kind of car. I come from a line of trackable road cars (GT86, M135i, Megane Cup-S), which is my prime criteria up to now, even with the detriment of poor road refinement, including running semi-slicks. But I am 48. It's probably time to grow up and be sensible. I now have a 25 mile commute and I do a lot of mountain-biking too so the idea is to have a comfy frugal commuting car with very good lights that can take my mtb without being too much of a faff.

And the clincher is also probably that the car will cost me just over £6k in total over 2 years on a lease, including VED. And the insurance is £132.

So my expectations are very low - I am prepared to hate it - but I hope I can be open minded enough to appreciate it for the reasons other people seem to love theirs.

I'll report back either way!

Suppose the small engine was chosen because the price of the lease is so good?

I must say that I am used to driving 2.0 diesel's and I have never owned a fast car but the 1.4 gives me the grunt I need when I need it, I've had it in comfort since I got it and yes its a little slow off the mark but changing gears is smooth and its just a pleasure to drive. I have mapped the * button on the wheel to the drive select and sometimes put it in dynamic and the car totally changes, higher revs, faster gear changes so it's like having a sporty car (although not massively fast) on demand lol

I did want the 190 and was very apprehensive on the 1.4 but didnt think the price jump justified it at the time but I really do love the 1.4, just thinking when its time to replace I will probably look at the 190 or may even the 252 Quattro but think that would be far too expensive!

(I have to have petrol as I nearly completely ruined the last diesel I had due to a job change, I only work down the road and do 6 mile per day max)

Did Aviva cover you under their policy for the replacement, (without GAP) They say they do so just wondering what the process was like?

Hope the only casualty was the car and everyone was ok?

Only damage was my car and the road sign that I hit!

The car was basically written off at the road side when I described the damage, I rang them again while at hospital and asked about the vehicle replacement as it was less than 12 months old (I had no gap).

They agreed and put me in contact with the vehicle replacement team, they are a third party that Aviva and others use, they use their own preferred dealer for a quote and then give the supplying dealer (my local) chance to quote...

They struggled to find a car that matched my spec (comfort and sound pack 150tdi s line) but my local dealer managed to find a 190 tdi with comfort and sound pack..... Aviva got permission from VW finance they would be happy with the change in car and I paid the difference between the 150 and 190...

Car delivered in 3 weeks after the accident, but 2 weeks of that were waiting for Teesside to confirm they could supply and for the car to be moved from Swansea to Teesside

End result my finance continued but I am driving a car that's a bigger engine and 10 months newer

Ah sounds like the process is nice and simple, I hope you got GAP on your new car? a 1 year deferred policy costs pennies and if your crash was outside the 12 month you would have been ******** :(

Just had a mate lose 6k on his Golf as he didnt even know about it!!!

Friends don't let friends have a new car without GAP ;)

Reactions: cjp2k
Yes i got gap on the new one....massive wake up call

Biggest annoyance i put 2 new tyres on the car 2 weeks before the crash lol