Embedded Sim fail

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Morning everyone.

Having dramas with my eSim. It's fell out and back in loads of times since I bought it but, now the online services are permanent unavailable. Pictures paint a thousand words below but I've tried hard reset and factory reset. Still not working. Permanently greyed out.

Any ideas? Where 'is' the embedded sim? Couldn't I just take it out and pop it back in?

Cheers guys.

240a0255b0e5f6d41ebbf67351d54329.jpg
11dcfd781a1fb22e026a39227fb22c2f.jpg
2657f0233a8141fe3f3d0abf05f42b41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a crappy IT-style response, but I presume this is happening in areas where it previously worked and it's not just lost signal? I don't have a car to try bits and pieces out on to compare or anything I'm afraid, so my 'help' is limited. Haha.

Hope you manage to get it working though, this kind of thing would really get on my nerves!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
That is wrong information as the 'embedded' Sims is being talked about.
Having said that I cannot see why the Sims would fall out in the first place and I would suggest, unfortunately, a trip to the dealership.
Embedded is what it says, embedded within the MMI.

If you insert a SIM card your display should show LTE, see below:
Upload 2017 4 26 9 41 33

@Thundercliffe81 dont suppose you have a separate data sim you could pop in to see if that's works? At least that way you would know if it's the esim at fault?

Something else to potentially check - On your Audi Connect licenses, what does the eSim one say? I remember you saying that some were showing as 12 months, rather than 36. Has the eSim one expired?

@Thundercliffe81 dont suppose you have a separate data sim you could pop in to see if that's works? At least that way you would know if it's the esim at fault?

Yeah I do. At home though and I'm staying at work all week. Unless it doesn't need to be unlocked? Could just whack my EE in from my phone then?

Something else to potentially check - On your Audi Connect licenses, what does the eSim one say? I remember you saying that some were showing as 12 months, rather than 36. Has the eSim one expired?

All due to expire December 2017. Should be 2019.

Ok - at least we can rule that out.

I emailed connect.license@audi.de to get mine extended. Think they just required my VIN and they sorted it almost immediately.

You based in U.K. Though yeah? Still use the .de?

Yeah, I'm in Doncaster. I originally got in touch with UK customer services and they told me I needed to have an S4 to have the 3 year Connect features. Ended up going round in circles. Someone on here (Mistac I think??) then kindly gave me the .DE address, so i tried that. Within an hour the license end dates had been corrected.

Yeah, I'm in Doncaster. I originally got in touch with UK customer services and they told me I needed to have an S4 to have the 3 year Connect features. Ended up going round in circles. Someone on here (Mistac I think??) then kindly gave me the .DE address, so i tried that. Within an hour the license end dates had been corrected.

Speaks volumes doesn't it?

Cheers.

Reactions: Jabba1980
Have you whacked it in yet????

Haha. Put my boot on it. Nahhhh. Micro sim isn't it? My mate has an adapter so going to try that at lunch. I've emailed Audi Germany as advised. But probably need to book in at dealer Daft problem to have.

Got told "****** off" by Audi Germany and to go to my local dealer. Awesome.

No way! That's customer service for you.

Good look with the local dealer...let us know how you get on...

Its weird because mine set itself for a three year subscription without having to do anything.

Its weird because mine set itself for a three year subscription without having to do anything.

Very temperamental from what I've seen on the forums.

The esim on mine drops in and out quite a lot, but then my trip to work is through a load of poor signal areas so it's to be expected I suppose. The message that pops up is most annoying, wish I could turn the notification off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The esim on mine drops in and out quite a lot, but then my trip to work is through a load of poor signal areas so it's to be expected I suppose. The message that pops up is most annoying, wish I could turn the notification off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had that a lot too. But past two weeks it's become more frequent and then it just cut off. It's ****** annoying. Phoned Audi to book it in but their booking system was down. Waited with baited breath for the "call back" I was supposed to get.

Booked into Audi on the 8th. I'm away next week. Anybody else in the North having any issues with data connection?

Plot thickens.

So, reading another forum about this, somebody took their car in and after a while, it was determined the 'turn Data module' on/off had been deactivated.

This is, strangely, found in the Telephone menu. Ha. So...can I even get into the telephone menu now? No! What on Earth is going on? Tried Bluetooth search, the car finds my iPhone and when I click on it, 'the connection could not be made' comes up.

Absolutely no telephone options or screen available. Just an endless buffering circle. At no point did I turn off this data module as I use carplay for my calls etc. But now, I can't even ****** get into it to activate it! Any advice other than wait a week to get into dealer? Haha.

@Thundercliffe81
Sounds like you're having a mare mate!
Time to cut your losses me thinks and pre order that RS4 :rockwoot:

....sorry I can't actually offer any helpful advice!

Reactions: TripleD and Thundercliffe81
@Thundercliffe81
Sounds like you're having a mare mate!
Time to cut your losses me thinks and pre order that RS4 :rockwoot:

....sorry I can't actually offer any helpful advice!

Not going B9 RS4. Back to basics. B8 RS4 for me next. In all honesty? The crazy amount of tech in this is a bit much at times

Reactions: Keef
Wellllll, no joy from from the software update, as anticipated. New control unit ordered in and should be fitted by end of day tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Q5 loaner is boring me to death haha. Comfy though. I will say that. Is it better to register with the app code or the key fob for MMI and audi connect. Doesn't appear to be any difference.

Don't suppose you've got the deails of the software update? Would be interesting to check against by system version.

I'm getting the data message more and more frequently.

I used the app code/ pin - doesn't seem much point in using the key fob code as we cannot active the other connect services.

Don't suppose you've got the deails of the software update? Would be interesting to check against by system version.

I used the app code/ pin - doesn't seem much point in using the key fob code as we cannot active the other connect services.

I don't know mate but once I pick it up, I'll check the version number. It's the one that the S5 has apparently

Mine keeps dropping out in exactly the same spot as I come off the A421 exit ramp to Bedford and stays dead until I hit GoOutdoors further down the road, especially annoying as it's close enough to home that I've seen it ****-up the downloading of Google Maps data even after the signal returns. On Sunday I drove for an hour through roads laid over a green blur, it wasn't until the return journey it sorted itself out.

Thinking of grabbing a Three SIM card and see if that's any more reliable...

Mine keeps dropping out in exactly the same spot as I come off the A421 exit ramp to Bedford and stays dead until I hit GoOutdoors further down the road, especially annoying as it's close enough to home that I've seen it ****-up the downloading of Google Maps data even after the signal returns. On Sunday I drove for an hour through roads laid over a green blur, it wasn't until the return journey it sorted itself out.

Thinking of grabbing a Three SIM card and see if that's any more reliable...

Could be the way to go but, it's not the point. They've put a product (a £50k product) out there and it's failing. Anyhow, let me know how you get on? May be a matter of time before most peoples MMI control units fail. Probably not MY18 onwards though.

Am I right in thinking I can just run satnav from my phone (Android Auto), does it work better than MMI plus? Have very few data dropouts and if I do it carries on off-line quite happily.

The part arrived this morning at Harrogate Audi...Broken. As am I now haha. End of day tomorrow now.

The new girl is back in my possession. Audi very apologetic and MMI now working correctly. @Keef I'll post the software version in morning dude. Reminder set.

Reactions: Daggerit and Keef
Yes interested in knowing what version the firmware is as well please...

9017 or...0917, can't remember. But sure it's the first one. That's the Software version. Anything else to look for?

9017 or...0917, can't remember. But sure it's the first one. That's the Software version. Anything else to look for?

It will start with an '0', see here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4...mmi-entertainment-options-summarized-2898830/ which does seem to mean you have a version one down from the cars in america, but that might be down to regional differences. Did you have a setting for the subwoofer before, if not have you now?