Audi Connect e-sim vs PAYG data

craigomills

Reaction score
Just getting to grips with my new Avant and loving it. What are the benefits to using a PAYG sim card over the e-sim with the three month trial. Understand you can use it as a hotspot but are there any other differences ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

More reliable connection? My tech pack came with a three year licence, but I would see if you can get yours extended...

Reactions: craigomills
I put a Three 12GB/12month SIM in mine just before going on holiday to Kent a couple of weeks ago, much better than the built in Sim (which is with EE I think?) I've found so far.
  • Signal consistency is much better, I did get disconnected a couple of times that I noticed while driving around but it reconnected without issue and the system never had any issues resuming data streaming (previously I'd experienced Google Maps loading seemed to get stuck and was stuck with blurred maps or just falling back to standard maps).
  • Speed seemed much faster, Google Maps loaded in faster, street view was quicker, and Audi Connect seemed to pull data down faster
  • This probably ties in with the first issue but I've not seen any 'SIM Card not available' errors popping up on the main screen when signal was lost
Only thing I've not seen is the Hotspot option, assumed it would be under Audi Connect but not seen it, then again I've lost the 'data used' information somewhere so probably just me...

Do you need an active subscription to audi connect to use google maps or just a SIM card with data allowance available ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the hotspot get switched off with the ignition?