A4 Sport Convertible Help Wanted West Sussex-Surrey

AJC

3rd Gear
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm contemplating buying a 2003 A4 3.0 petrol cabriolet from a dealer who has taken the car in part exchange. The car has a number of faults (mostly cosmetic) but is cheap. I'd like the help of an A4 convertible expert who can help me assess whether the car is a bag of nails or worth saving. Can anyone recommend someone in the West Sussex/Surrey area?

Any more details? miles, price and faults? then it comes down to price paid + cost to fix all the bits, is that cheaper than buying a good one?

1. Roof is inoperative as are all 4 windows.
2. Lacquer peeling on offside rear quarter.
3. Front wings have been poorly resprayed.
4. Leather seats pretty worn.

Listed at £1700 ono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a shame its got so many faults as I quite like the idea of cleaning it up.

IMG_1246_zpsjfcog0vg.jpg

IMG_1248_zpssp2dwwyi.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsformhack.jpg

It's not that cheap for all that's wrong with it.. It would need to be a good bit cheaper to make it worth your while.. Do you have access to VCDS? sometimes the roof just needs a manual reset and clear of the error codes.. also windows could just be a simple switch..

1. Roof is inoperative as are all 4 windows.
2. Lacquer peeling on offside rear quarter.
3. Front wings have been poorly resprayed.
4. Leather seats pretty worn.

Listed at £1700 ono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Roof is inoperative as are all 4 windows. Could be a manual reset, and a fuse for the windows, or regulators and roof motor, from free - £££
2. Lacquer peeling on offside rear quarter. - Will need a respray
3. Front wings have been poorly resprayed. - Will need a respray, you could plasti dip it or have it wrapped, £600-£2000
4. Leather seats pretty worn. - The side bolster repair is £50-£100, then clean and redye the seats, that would cost about £500 professionally, £100 if done yourself and buying all chemicals. So £150 - £600 depending on the route you take

You're talking £750 - £3000 depending on if you do the work yourself and the roof is free, if roof isn't free add £100-£500 on top mate.

I'm selling mine though, and yeah it's a bit of a shameless plug but my roof works perfectly, it's just been resprayed with plastidip (including lacquer), all the electronics work too!
Here's the link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Audi...0068&clkid=2390739529947633609&_qi=RTM2063723

Reactions: technics100
If both front wings have been badly painted it's maybe been in a bump? If it's sound a vinyl wrap could be an option to cover that and the peeling clear coat? Seats look like they'll scrub up.

Roof and windows could be cheap or expensive, there's a thread on here by vagpro on roof problems and repairs which might be worth looking at.

Edit Pops' post added whilst I was typing this.

It's not that cheap for all that's wrong with it.. It would need to be a good bit cheaper to make it worth your while.. Do you have access to VCDS? sometimes the roof just needs a manual reset and clear of the error codes.. also windows could just be a simple switch..
Thanks, yes I do have VCDS and the guy was going to put it through the MOT and spend some time on it before inviting me back for another test drive.

1. Roof is inoperative as are all 4 windows. Could be a manual reset, and a fuse for the windows, or regulators and roof motor, from free - £££
2. Lacquer peeling on offside rear quarter. - Will need a respray
3. Front wings have been poorly resprayed. - Will need a respray, you could plasti dip it or have it wrapped, £600-£2000
4. Leather seats pretty worn. - The side bolster repair is £50-£100, then clean and redye the seats, that would cost about £500 professionally, £100 if done yourself and buying all chemicals. So £150 - £600 depending on the route you take

You're talking £750 - £3000 depending on if you do the work yourself and the roof is free, if roof isn't free add £100-£500 on top mate.

I'm selling mine though, and yeah it's a bit of a shameless plug but my roof works perfectly, it's just been resprayed with plastidip (including lacquer), all the electronics work too!
Here's the link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Audi-A4-Cabriolet-Convertible-full-service-history-well-looked-after/112292734500?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p5197.c100068.m2280&_trkparms=ao=1&asc=20140211130857&meid=a9ee539dba1d48f49b4200794db12107&pid=100068&clkid=2390739529947633609&_qi=RTM2063723
Thanks and agree with your assessment. Your car looks great but want an auto.

If both front wings have been badly painted it's maybe been in a bump? If it's sound a vinyl wrap could be an option to cover that and the peeling clear coat? Seats look like they'll scrub up.

Roof and windows could be cheap or expensive, there's a thread on here by vagpro on roof problems and repairs which might be worth looking at.

Edit Pops' post added whilst I was typing this.
Yes thanks, I think I can get the car for around £1k, which with an MOT makes it more interesting.

Thanks Sandra, this is good info. :readit:

Reactions: Sandra
for £1k it may be worth a punt, do a vcds scan and maybe a manual reset of the roof, see if it works.. how bad are the wings an quarter panel?

If you want the paintwork sorted try
http://www.abs-paint.co.uk
They are in Redhill
Mark the owner is a top painter and very reasonably priced and he uses a guy who does leather seat repairs as well

Thanks for all the advice and comments but seller not prepared to drop price with an MOT so have bought a B7 cab from a trader.

Reactions: technics100