Audi A4 dump valve , convertible 1.8 t sport

hjboss

Reaction score
What difference will adding a dump valve make part from the turbo whistle ?
Any difference in performance ?
And will it set upo the dash warning lights ?

Some advice needed thanx

Usually makes VAG 1.8T's run like sh*t, & puts the EML on

Damm u sure ??
What's the deal with them then ??
I thought it would be better for the turbo ... Help it cool down or something ???

The standard engine has a recirculating dump valve already.

The purpose is to divert boost pressure thats built up when you shut the throttle and it has no where to go. Without it there would be a large pressure spike which causes damage to the turbo.

What your probably thinking of is an atmospheric dump valve. Instead of quietly recirculating the boost pressure, an atmospheric dump valve releases that air into the engine bay, making a loud "tisshh" noise.

Theres no performance benefit whatsoever, its simply a way of making a loud noise every time you close the throttle. Furthermore, because the valve releases air that the ECU has already measured and calculated the fuelling for, it causes a rich condition every time it dumps, which can cause stalling or rough running. This is why they're generally regarded as a bad think on 1.8T's.

Reactions: pauldazzle
Thanks for the explanation as this is helpful towards my modding plans also. My understanding is you would need to go after market DV or Re-circ if going for stage 2 power as this what im shooting for.

Meaning, Owners would need some form of after market dump or re-circ valve to accommodate the De-cat, 2.5'' exhaust and TIP upgrades.

Would you be able to offer some insight into this?

Sorry for veering off topic..

In my experience the standard OEM recirc DV should is fine for stage 2. It's only when you get to stage 3 where a aftermarket recirc DV becomes a must.

Ah ok, I see. I will of course be asking the mapper when it comes to this sooner the time.

Cheers Paul and Aragorn.