Dippy's S5

I also had to sort my insurance renewal. For several years A-Plan has found me the best deal. However this year they increased my premium to £790! This is with Ageas and includes legal assistance and courtesy car. As I'm 52 with full NCD and no points etc, and live in a good area (car in garage), this seemed too much (especially because they also subtly increased my compulsory XS) so I shopped around.

Adrian Flux were promising at £582 and lower XS.
A-Plan called and I told them what Adrian Flux had quoted and they "magically" reduced their's to £585, but kept the high XS.
Chris Knott wouldn't quote due to the level of the stage 2 power increase.
Prestige Keep Moving couldn't complete with Adrian Flux's quote.
Sky insurance won with £560 and the lowest XS.

Reactions: Meemo and V6_Man
MOT complete with no problems. Offside headlight washer jet diagnosed faulty and will be replaced under warranty.

Tash - on the dealer healthcheck report it advised that my gearbox should be serviced at "from 20K to 36K". It's the first time I have seen Audi advice differ from the 38K in the service book. I don't know if this is Audi UK advice or just dealer advice, but it seems to be another reason why we should be getting our gearbox services done early!

Cheers mate. The service advisor told me the same when I had the washer jet replaced back in Feb. He said it is good to do it early given the age of the car. I will call Mark on Monday and book in the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had to sort my insurance renewal. For several years A-Plan has found me the best deal. However this year they increased my premium to £790! This is with Ageas and includes legal assistance and courtesy car. As I'm 52 with full NCD and no points etc, and live in a good area (car in garage), this seemed too much (especially because they also subtly increased my compulsory XS) so I shopped around.

Adrian Flux were promising at £582 and lower XS.
A-Plan called and I told them what Adrian Flux had quoted and they "magically" reduced their's to £585, but kept the high XS.
Chris Knott wouldn't quote due to the level of the stage 2 power increase.
Prestige Keep Moving couldn't complete with Adrian Flux's quote.
Sky insurance won with £560 and the lowest XS.

That sounds just about right. I renewed mine with Adrian Flux and paying £575. I didn't check it with anyone else though as AF gave me multi-car discount; my wife's A3 is insured with them at the same price.

Thanks for the update @Dippy. I was trying to hang on until June for my gearbox oil change as the car will be 4 years old and have done about 28k miles by then. It'll also be the last service before the extended warranty runs out. The intent had been to let the dealer do it whilst still (just) in warranty. However @Tashfeen has me wondering if that's wise. :) Newbury Audi have been OK so far but June will be my last visit before returning to the indie network. The thinking was that if the gearbox went pop before the next service at 5 years old I might have a case with Audi (with enough moaning).

Reactions: V6_Man
I shall be using MDM Technik for all my servicing from now on. I only went to Audi Basingstoke for the MOT for precisely the reason I needed to - so that I can "log" any faults before the warranty runs out. I have had good service from both Basingstoke and Newbury Audi, but I feel compelled to report that now Basingstoke have upped their game. Their service this time was outstanding and the staff were fantastic - welcoming, friendly and helpful. They now have expanded their customer waiting area with dedicated areas to work at. I lost count of how many times one of them asked me if I wanted a coffee.

Reactions: scotty76
which Indie you recommend Dippy? I am only down the road in Winch, only on 19k miles but think I will get the gearbox service same time for peace of mind as is 3 years old and on a variable service plan.. dont know the history other than it belonged to audi finance on the log!
I need to stop reading your thread... makes me stage 2 itchy...

I have used MDM Technik in Marlow for many years and thoroughly recommend Mark. Not necessarily cheaper than a dealer for everything, but I have the confidence that the work will be high standard and Mark will look after the car. Mark lives in Basingstoke so he collects my car in the morning and takes it to his workshop, and then brings it back in the evening (he works long hours). You might be able to come to a similar arrangement since you're not far from Basingstoke.

Reactions: Meemo
had a lil compare, and there is like £5-£20 difference in his prices compared to Audi's fixed service, however as you very well mention, you want someone competent so worth the extra. I have very little trust for main dealers, spent my late teens working at a japenese main dealer (wont mention names)... I know how it is behind the doors eeek.
Does he do the electronic service stamps?
Sorry complete hijack here!

Does he do the electronic service stamps?
Sorry I don't know - but I'd be surprised if he does. Personally I don't really care about that anymore - since my car is tuned a FASH has no value. Plus there have been enough stories of people looking to buy used cars and being told it has a FASH and/or a specific item being done such as gearbox service, but then it turns out that was untrue, that any serious buyer should expect to see the invoices for proof of service.

Reactions: Meemo
The s-tronic UOA results are back as below. The great news is that there is nothing to indicated abnormal wear - the metal content is low. I only partially worked out what the TAN is referring to. Unlike engine oil where the TBN starts high (maybe around 8) and then reduces as the additives which protect the engine degrade, the TAN for ATF should I believe start around 1 or less, and then increase as there is oxidisation. I have tried to confirm what the TAN should be for new G052529A2 ATF should be but failed. Nor could I get any definitive information about whether or not my TAN is low, normal or high. But I learnt enough to suggest that my TAN indicates that there was acid content in the used oil and so it certainly wasn't a waste of effort and money in having it replaced. The other thing I looked into was the PQ index (a magnetic method of indicating what sort of iron particulates are in the oil sample). Apparently this is low, and because it is very similar to the iron ppm, it means that the particulates should be fine, and so wear is normal.

Attachments

• DippysS5GearboxUOA1.png
    484.5 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: V6_Man and arad85
So my warranty claim is done. However it didn't go as expected. Based on advice I decided to ask for the nearside headlight washer jet to be replaced as well and was pleased that they said I would only be charged for the part. I double checked that they would be ordering two jets and they confirmed.

Today started well, with Audi Basingstoke staff being as polite and courteous as usual. But when the service advisor went through the job sheet I had to get him to write down that both jets needed to be replaced because it wasn't clear (although 2 parts were shown). Then 90mins later he came to me and and said that the offside one had been replaced. I was surprised it was so quick and was told that the "master tech" had done the job without removing the bumper, despite it being stated on the job sheet that it had to be removed. However there was a problem - they didn't have the part for the nearside - but were willing to send one of the parts staff over to the Reading dealer to get one.

Well having seen that my car had been brought out to the front, and not knowing for sure if and when they could get the part, I decided that I'd rather not risk having to wait at the dealer all day (and the worse case that only then would they tell me that they couldn't fit it back into their schedule for the day), and so I declined the offer. Was I being told the truth or had they realised that there was no benefit in their doing the work to change the nearside one and so they set me up to make the decision that I made? I guess I'll never know, but if the nearside one ever fails I'll be going to MDM Technik to have it replaced.

So my warranty claim is done. However it didn't go as expected. Based on advice I decided to ask for the nearside headlight washer jet to be replaced as well and was pleased that they said I would only be charged for the part. I double checked that they would be ordering two jets and they confirmed.

Today started well, with Audi Basingstoke staff being as polite and courteous as usual. But when the service advisor went through the job sheet I had to get him to write down that both jets needed to be replaced because it wasn't clear (although 2 parts were shown). Then 90mins later he came to me and and said that the offside one had been replaced. I was surprised it was so quick and was told that the "master tech" had done the job without removing the bumper, despite it being stated on the job sheet that it had to be removed. However there was a problem - they didn't have the part for the nearside - but were willing to send one of the parts staff over to the Reading dealer to get one.

Well having seen that my car had been brought out to the front, and not knowing for sure if and when they could get the part, I decided that I'd rather not risk having to wait at the dealer all day (and the worse case that only then would they tell me that they couldn't fit it back into their schedule for the day), and so I declined the offer. Was I being told the truth or had they realised that there was no benefit in their doing the work to change the nearside one and so they set me up to make the decision that I made? I guess I'll never know, but if the nearside one ever fails I'll be going to MDM Technik to have it replaced.

Hard to not be skeptical with the stories you hear....

Hopefully it doesn't break in the near future!

Exactly what the Doc said. I wouldn't trust the dealerships at all.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts the service manager at my local dealership didn't order the part for four weeks and I only found out after I called Ox Audi 9 times during that time. On one occasion when I did manage to get hold of the service manager I was told that the part wasnt delivered and that he will call me as soon as the part arrives. I disconnected and called the parts guys immediately after and I was really annoyed when I found out that the part was not ordered at all. My next call was to the dealership manager, the receptionist was pushing me to talk to the service manager and I adamant to talk the dealership manager. To cut the long story short, I vented it all out on the manager and told him I would never bring in my car to them again, that it wasn't not professional and simply not acceptable at all!

It was only then that the part was ordered and delivered the day after and car went in for replacement and I paid 'dealership' prices for the labour involved.

I'm glad you guys share my cynicism. Despite the excellent outward customer service I get from Audi Basingstoke I always fear that it is exactly that - superficial. Whilst so far the actual car service has been good. I worry that it is only good luck. That's why I'm not too bothered about if the other jet fails. It's not a huge repair bill and I have no worries at all about having MDM Technik do the work.

I think you're right to be sceptical. My Dad uses a local indie who is an Audi Master Technician and was a roving troubleshooter for Audi in Lancashire. He set up on his own as he felt pressured to rush jobs and finish within tight timescales rather than doing a proper job.

Agreed.

My warranty T&Cs are now very simple: I pay for everything.

I got another warning light today. After hearing the beep I guess what it might be and I was right! It was the washer fluid level low again!

After I got back from Audi Basingstoke who replaced the offside headlight jet, I made sure to fill the washer reservoir to the brim. And I am 99% sure that I did not use windscreen wash since (I haven't use the car much this week). So its got to be leaking still!

Anyway naturally my first thought was to blame the dealer, and I started to argue in my mind whether or not to bother going back only for them to mess up again or to cut my losses and get it done by MDM Technik. However when I got home I carefully filled up the reservoir again, making sure I did not spill any water. Then I looked under the car. There were a couple of small puddles under the front corner and some drips from the bumper. So it appears that the nearside jet might have failed already? The trouble is I decided to mop up the puddles and wipe the underside of the bumper so that I could be sure that it is definitely leaking, but since then the drips have stopped!

I got another warning light today. After hearing the beep I guess what it might be and I was right! It was the washer fluid level low again!

After I got back from Audi Basingstoke who replaced the offside headlight jet, I made sure to fill the washer reservoir to the brim. And I am 99% sure that I did not use windscreen wash since (I haven't use the car much this week). So its got to be leaking still!

Anyway naturally my first thought was to blame the dealer, and I started to argue in my mind whether or not to bother going back only for them to mess up again or to cut my losses and get it done by MDM Technik. However when I got home I carefully filled up the reservoir again, making sure I did not spill any water. Then I looked under the car. There were a couple of small puddles under the front corner and some drips from the bumper. So it appears that the nearside jet might have failed already? The trouble is I decided to mop up the puddles and wipe the underside of the bumper so that I could be sure that it is definitely leaking, but since then the drips have stopped!

It is annoying! Did Basingstoke Audi fill the washer fluid to the brim, I doubt they did. If I was you I'd take it back to them as it was a warranty work they should have done right in the first place. And I'll continue doing it until it is fixed properly.

Re: the leak although you have said you did not use the washers to be on the safe side I'll try it at least once to make sure there is a leak. And I'll do that at night, again to make sure headlights washer are working (they won't if the lights are not 'on'). It is worth noting that whether the washer jets come out and wash the lights or not there will be some drip as the fluid will flow down from the water outlets from the front. By running at night you are making sure you are testing the jets. If there is a leak, the warning light will either come up in the morning or after one more use.

Yes I need to confirm that there's a leak and I think you're right that I need to activate the jets to be sure. I can imagine that it could leak once the system is pressurised, and then may or may not continue due to a syphon effect.

It's a fair argument about the warranty claim - I asked them to investigate the leak, but after their repair it is still leaking. So I could go back. However both MDM Techik and Audi diagnosed that it was the offside jet that was leaking and by inference the nearside was not. But more importantly its a matter of convenience and confidence - in which case MDM Technik wins - the cost is not much and not that important.

Yes I need to confirm that there's a leak and I think you're right that I need to activate the jets to be sure. I can imagine that it could leak once the system is pressurised, and then may or may not continue due to a syphon effect.

It's a fair argument about the warranty claim - I asked them to investigate the leak, but after their repair it is still leaking. So I could go back. However both MDM Techik and Audi diagnosed that it was the offside jet that was leaking and by inference the nearside was not. But more importantly its a matter of convenience and confidence - in which case MDM Technik wins - the cost is not much and not that important.

I agree. In the end it all comes down to trusting the trusty rather than untrustworthy!

I feel much the same sentiments about my local Audi dealer (which supplied the car from new) and my local independent. The car has only gone back to Bexley Audi once since I got it. That was for the first scheduled AVS service at two years old. I had decided I wanted to preserve a dealer service record for the duration of the warranty and PCP, whilst using Sanspeed in Bexleyheath for all the additional discretionary work.

Within a minute of parking the car on the dealer forecourt, even before I'd walked away from it to go to Reception, I watched as one of their parking monkeys banged the door of the car in the adjoining bay into mine. Thankfully no damage ensued, but the resulting conversations with the service manager didn't make for a long and heart-warming customer relationship. Soon after that I had the car re-mapped anyway, so, like Dippy, the needs for a FASH became redundant. But it made me regret the decision to put the car in the dealer's hands for just that one occasion.

The only time I've been back to my dealer since I bought mine was for a "engage the customer" free BBQ where I told the guy who sold me my car that I'd tuned it to beyond an RS5...

Reactions: jdp1962
I guess if my car did not have the CREC engine or if the tuners had cracked its SIMOS 16 sooner, I may have got it tuned before the 1 year anniversary and so not have used a dealer for the 1st service. However I doubt it. I think there was something about that 1 year anniversary which would have made me delay tuning even if it was available.

Your recomended Indi does do the electronic log stamp.. waiting for my service light to beckon me on. Cheers for the details for Mark!

Reactions: scotty76
FIS control MMI not available yet - seems to be going through beta. There's this video for a taster on configuration and for anyone who wants to practice German comprehension. :)

Mark at MDM Technik has replaced my nearside headlamp washer jet. The part number of the replacement is exactly the same as the faulty one. Although this does not prove that Continental haven't changed the design, I remain sceptical as to how long it will last. If I get time I'm going to take the faulty jet apart and see if I can see what makes it leak.

It seems that Stefan, the man behind FIS-Control MMI, has not been able to create the "generic" product that he wanted. At the moment it is in "beta", having been sold to selected customers since he has had to effectively create custom firmware for each to suit their data requirements for their specific car model. Although I'm reluctant to buy a beta product, I may ask him to do one for me.

FIS-Control MMI is now available, however its seems that I'll need to provide Stefan with some config info in order for it to work in my car. I also suspect that his installation instructions relate to LHD cars so before I buy I want to do some research into what differences there might be for a RHD car.

Let us now-second-stage adopters know how it goes ;) I've done my bit of trailblazing for a while...

So I've had a first pass at the list of ECU measurement values I might need. Anything I have missed?

IDE00090 selected gear Shifting process active
IDE00167 Exhaust temperature 1 bank 1 22.5 °C
IDE00168 Exhaust temperature 1 bank 2 22.5 °C
IDE00191 Charge air pressure: actual value 1.004 bar
IDE00196 Engine oil temperature 21.0 °C
IDE00405 Crankshaft speed (RPM) 0 /min
IDE00968 Compressor speed 0 /min
IDE01834 Battery voltage 11.984 V
IDE03711 Mass flow through throttle valve 0 kg/h
IDE04000 Intake air temperature sensor IAT 11:24 °C
IDE07571 Engine torque 245.3 Nm
IDE08946 Compressor magnetic clutch: status Open
ENG100261 Engine torque 264.93750 Nm
ENG101741 Intake air temperature 21.8 °C
ENG102335 Misfires all cylinders per 1000 rpm 0
ENG103698 Oil temperature 22 °C

Would think timing retardation (or whatever it is called). You can see if the timing is being pulled from that. The others are what I'd want TBH, although I'm not sure what the two torques will tell you - or the two IAT's. What about something from the gearbox?

I went through the list again and expanded it to the below. The trouble is the IDs and names seem to vary from car to car so I can't be sure which one is correct - hence the duplications such as torque. I tried to find the supercharger bypass valve (angle or %age) but the best seems to be IDE10368. I don't think Stefan will be happy adding all these so I'll trim it down. For example it might be interesting to see how the engine mount statuses change whilst driving, but I guess its not that important. Same with the supercharger clutch status, although considering its a weak point on tuned cars I would like to understand how it engages and disengages during driving.

IDE00090 selected gear
IDE00149 Ignition angle of current cylinder: actual value
IDE00167 Exhaust temperature 1 bank 1
IDE00168 Exhaust temperature 1 bank 2
IDE00190 Charge air pressure specified value
IDE00191 Charge air pressure: actual value
IDE00196 Engine oil temperature
IDE00358 Limitation: torque
IDE00361 Ambient air pressure
IDE00405 Crankshaft speed (RPM)
IDE00406 Camshaft speed (RPM)
IDE00408 Engine mount 1
IDE00409 Engine mount 2
IDE00968 Compressor speed
IDE01834 Battery voltage
IDE03279 Charge air pressure 2: actual value
IDE03711 Mass flow through throttle valve
IDE04000 Intake air temperature sensor
IDE04003 Charge air temperature sensor
IDE04409 Intake manifold pressure: corrected
IDE04412 Pressure before throttle valve: corrected
IDE07571 Engine torque
IDE07575 Driver request torque
IDE08263 Exhaust temperature before catalytic converter: bank 2
IDE08946 Compressor magnetic clutch: status
IDE10368 Chg. press. control valve: volt. raw value
ENG100261 Engine torque
ENG101741 Intake air temperature
ENG101828 Air mass
ENG102335 Misfires all cylinders per 1000 rpm
ENG103698 Oil temperature

I went through the list again and expanded it to the below. The trouble is the IDs and names seem to vary from car to car so I can't be sure which one is correct - hence the duplications such as torque. I tried to find the supercharger bypass valve (angle or %age) but the best seems to be IDE10368. I don't think Stefan will be happy adding all these so I'll trim it down. For example it might be interesting to see how the engine mount statuses change whilst driving, but I guess its not that important. Same with the supercharger clutch status, although considering its a weak point on tuned cars I would like to understand how it engages and disengages during driving.

IDE00090 selected gear
IDE00190 Charge air pressure specified value
IDE00358 Limitation: torque
IDE00406 Camshaft speed (RPM)
IDE00408 Engine mount 1
IDE00409 Engine mount 2
IDE01834 Battery voltage
IDE03279 Charge air pressure 2: actual value
IDE04000 Intake air temperature sensor
IDE04003 Charge air temperature sensor
IDE04409 Intake manifold pressure: corrected
IDE04412 Pressure before throttle valve: corrected
IDE07571 Engine torque
IDE08946 Compressor magnetic clutch: status
IDE10368 Chg. press. control valve: volt. raw value
ENG100261 Engine torque
ENG101828 Air mass

Don't mind admitting that this a bit too techie for me but @Dippy can I ask what is the difference between for example 'IDExxxx Engine Torque' and 'ENGxxxxx Engine Torque'.

Is it more like 'Requested v Actual'?

I suspect that the ENG just refers to the fact that they are values used in or from a calculation rather than direct from a sensor. But the fact that I don't know for sure is my dilemma - which one do I need? That's why the list is long, I have simply included all that look interesting. I suppose I ought to go out for a drive with a laptop and log them to find out if there is a difference.

FIS-Control MMI does not support text values yet so some of the measurements I wanted are not possible. However Stefan has been great and added all my other requested values so I'll have access to the ones below. Now I'll order my unit. From what I have researched installation should be straightforward. Other good news is that I can just add it to the list of mods on my insurance - no change to premium or even an admin fee.

IDE01834 Battery voltage
IDE02116 Exhaust gas temperature before catalytic converter
IDE02250 Regulating flap for compressor: actual value
IDE05130 Regulating flap for compressor: activation
IDE09983 Torque limitation due to high intake air temperature
ENG100261 Engine torque
ENG101828 Air mass

FIS-Control MMI installed. Not quite fully operational yet - this is an "enthusiast" mod which needs a bit of configuration to get it going. I took photos so will do a write-up soon.

Reactions: arad85, jdp1962 and V6_Man