Engine knocks?

S

SteveSAS

Hi, are these engines meant to have slight knocks and clunks while stationary ticking over sounds from the bottom end. There is no rhythm to the clunks it's just now and then and sounds to me from inside the engine as I've heard the sounds after changing the oil and underneath checking for leaks. There is no engine issues, no performance losses or smoothness when revving, Don't get knocks when accelerating or braking.
So basically are these small knocks and clunks now and then normal when idling or should there be no sounds whatsoever apart from the top end ticking?

Thanks guys.

I'd be looking at the how 2's if you haven't already changed your oil pick up pipe presuming you have a 1.8t and haven't already changed it...

Hi, I changed my oil pick up couple years ago as advised on here. No, I have standard rods as far as I know. 96k miles owned for 5 yrs and changed oil and filter once a year (less than 3k miles a year).
The sounds have always been there but like I'm trying to explain they are just odd random clonks, clunks that you hear when stationary at idle speed, they are not rhythmic with the engine and are not really loud either. You can feel them slightly through the floor when you hear them as if something is changing settings in the engine. I know hard to explain, it's not always there, more noticeable until engine is fully up to temp. The knocks don't increase with engine revs as they seem separate to the rotation of the engine.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, if your car has been fine for the last 5 years with these noises I would be more worried if they stop.

Air con on or off ? mine seems not to like idling with the air-con -on- better after changed all the perished vac lines , but still irregular , flywheel mass may not be very much ?

Has It got a single mass fly wheel as they can be noises on idle mine has been for years dip the clucth on idle and see if it goes