Auto Trader 'Hot Hatch' Mega Test

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

For all who may be interested, here is a video Auto Trader have not long ago released.

I got to 10 minutes in, when I shut it off. Which was right up to the point when they eliminated the RS3 for "unbelievable understeer", "gearbox too slow". I lost interested in everything else being said when they "got rid" of the RS3.
I'm sorry but gearbox too slow?! I don't see how that gearbox can ever be described as slow, I would love to know what they are comparing it to for the change to be slow.. I can't see anything in that price bracket changing much quicker.

I would say I am very biased and protective of the RS3, but there we go. I am sure most of us on here are.
This was a very poor test IMO, they took the cars to the max and eliminated the ones that didn't achieve race car handling at the first hurdle. Maybe, just maybe if they had allowed the RS3 to show off what it can do in the environment 99% of people will drive it in, the outcome might have been different.

Regards,

Matthew

Reactions: 45bvtc and Spaceman_RS3
If the gearbox was any faster it would be on ******* fire! What planet are these people on ...

TX.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
If the gearbox was any faster it would be on ******* fire! What planet are these people on ...

TX.

My exact opinion :scared2:

I can only see that these testers start off with their backs turned to the RS3, more fool them. In the world we will all use them in, they are arguably some of the best cars on the road as a package the average person will use.
I have never been a fan of Mercedes, so the AMG doesn't even get a looking from me.

The new FL will hopefully fix any issues that is on the current car i.e. Lighter front end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
My exact opinion :scared2:

I can only see that these testers start off with their backs turned to the RS3, more fool them. In the world we will all use them in, they are arguably some of the best cars on the road as a package the average person will use.
I have never been a fan of Mercedes, so the AMG doesn't even get a looking from me.
It not a ford sponsored event also what else was going to happen a don't even bother watching all these reviews anymore

Yeah i see this video the other day. Absolutely ridiculous!!!
It was obvious the Focus was going to win, if they were testing to find the biggest boy racer chav car then the top 3 was probably correct. Having driven the A45 and the RS3 i do not know what planet these guys are on. The AMG and RS3 as with any car producing that much power will understeer when driven to the absolute limit. The A45 however i thought was worse although it was not the facelift version.

Megane Sport infront of an RS3, i bet if you said to them guys here we go you can have a Megane or an RS3 i bet know what they would choose!

Fooking Igiots!!!

Megane Sport infront of an RS3, i bet if you said to them guys here we go you can have a Megane or an RS3 i bet know what they would choose!

I may get a lot of slack for this, but.....I am an Audi fan, but I'm also a fan of all cars, and don't necessarily agree with your comment. Sure, the RS3 is faster, and more luxurious, but in terms of driver involvement, steering, handling, and, most importantly, having a manual tranny, there are quite a few situations where I would pick the Megane over the RS3. If you've never driven one, it's a mesmerizingly good car to drive.

It all depends on the topic of the review. If it's for a proper hot hatch, then yes, I would pick the Megane over the RS3. I'd also pick the Focus RS as well over the RS3. And the M135 too.

Last edited:
Reactions: D19NL B, CraigI and Gazwould
My mate went from rs250 megane to v8 m3 then sold it to go back to 275 trophy megane cause it was more fun and trackable too

Reactions: Gazwould
I've owned a Megane 225, R26 and the 265. The R26 was outrageously good back in its day. But as an overall ownership prospect the RS3 would take some beating. But then so it should considering it's twice the price!

A Megane 275 more fun and better on a track than an M3? The guy obviously can't drive!

No driver in their right mind would prefer to drive a front wheel drive over an M3, then say its more fun.

Haha

I would.
Ive owned several BMWs over the years and ended up getting rid of them because of the pain of RWD.
A powerful RWD plus rain, snow, ice = a visit to the bodyshop.

Im talking real world, not track.

There are sooo many budding Schumachers on the BMW forums who talk about the purist front engine RWD set up on M3s etc. They talk about how they can drive it on the limit around bends and hold it all together buy powersliding out of corners etc....

In essence, what really happens is they go round corners, floor it before the car is straightened up, the back end twitches, TCS and ESP gathers it all up for them and hey presto, they think they are the next F1 champion.

Give me 4wd or even FWD anyday. Predictable understeer on FWD is what most drivers can deal with.

Reactions: hood, Spaceman_RS3, ConS3 and 1 other person
Took the words right out of my mouth, Kugaman.

Yeah but if you get someone who can drive a rear wheel drive they are 100% more fun and 100% quicker in corners or on a track.

That is the reason F1 cars are not front wheel or four wheel drive.

A real car does not use the driven wheels to steer!

Yeah but if you get someone who can drive a rear wheel drive they are 100% more fun and 100% quicker in corners or on a track.

That is the reason F1 cars are not front wheel or four wheel drive.

A real car does not use the driven wheels to steer!
The problem is that there's not many people out there that can drive a rear wheel drive car properly on public roads...me included!

Reactions: 45bvtc
A Megane 275 more fun and better on a track than an M3? The guy obviously can't drive!
No driver in their right mind would prefer to drive a front wheel drive over an M3, then say its more fun.

Haha

Again, I couldn't disagree with you more. Drive the Megane 275 first before you jump out and make comments like this. It is more fun, and I would rather it than an M3 on a track.

Check out lap times for both. Megane 275 R is 5 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than the F80 M3/M4. It's also, in general, consistently faster around most tracks than the M3.

Again, I couldn't disagree with you more. Drive the Megane 275 first before you jump out and make comments like this. It is more fun, and I would rather it than an M3 on a track.

Check out lap times for both. Megane 275 R is 5 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than the F80 M3/M4. It's also, in general, consistently faster around most tracks than the M3.

Well I actually can drive rear wheel drive cars on the limit and i actually enjoy coming out of corners on the road sideways and just missing kerbs on the limit. That's a thrill you cannot beat. Unless of course you want to understeer over the kerb!

I just checked the times and the M4 standard was 2 seconds quicker around the Nurburgring than the Megane RS 275. You are probably goin on about the old style M3.

Whena Formula 1 car becomes all wheel drive or front wheel drive then i might actually agree. RWD is and will always be the quickest in good conditions!

When did "quickest" mean more "fun"?

Well I actually can drive rear wheel drive cars on the limit and i actually enjoy coming out of corners on the road sideways and just missing kerbs on the limit. That's a thrill you cannot beat. Unless of course you want to understeer over the kerb!

I just checked the times and the M4 standard was 2 seconds quicker around the Nurburgring than the Megane RS 275. You are probably goin on about the old style M3.

Whena Formula 1 car becomes all wheel drive or front wheel drive then i might actually agree. RWD is and will always be the quickest in good conditions!
Why you on an Audi forum then?

Reactions: AudiNutta
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3

Well, then here's another FWD car that has crushed the Nurburgring, and crushed the M3 F80 LCI:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/440461/...-s-breaks-front-drive-nurburgring-lap-record/

And to the person who said faster means better, you're right, it doesn't. I'm only trying to prove the point that FWD cars are equally good around a track (if not better) than AWD and RWD.

Reactions: D0C
The way all the journalists are banging on about the RS3 not being any good in corners you would logically think that for a straight line shoot out that they would pitch the RS3 & Focus RS for this short video......ummmmm No!

We'll put an RS on the grid an A45 and finally a Golf R then continue to write utter garbage that a ford tuning company are going after the RS3.

Something tells me that they were worried about the result which would single handedly wipeout the last two weeks of utter rubbish they have been writing and lose out on their freebies from Ford maybe?

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/mountune-readying-upgrades-ford-focus-rs

Full credit to the Golf R slapped Top Gear magazine right in the chops........ With less power!

I truthfully don't care what others think; members and contributors here aside; I like the RS3 for its own characteristics and they suit me just fine - impressed I'm still saying exactly the same 4.1/2 years on... :yahoo:

Autoexpress have a 'head-to-head' next week with the: M2, Focus RS, and RS3; I'd like to say that'll be interesting (with the M2 hanging its back-end out, tsk) but here's betting it won't; no matter, I'm content with my Audi RS3... :racer:

Reactions: Rob D, Snake Pliskin and Spaceman_RS3
I change my cars religiously every 2 years or less, current RS3 is likely to buck that trend it really is that good. I have no idea whatsoever why the testers keep rubbishing the car and indeed the track warriors of ASN.

TX.

Reactions: Rob D, Snake Pliskin, Dazzeroo and 1 other person
I truthfully don't care what others think; members and contributors here aside; I like the RS3 for its own characteristics and they suit me just fine - impressed I'm still saying exactly the same 4.1/2 years on... :yahoo:

Autoexpress have a 'head-to-head' next week with the: M2, Focus RS, and RS3; I'd like to say that'll be interesting (with the M2 hanging its back-end out, tsk) but here's betting it won't; no matter, I'm content with my Audi RS3... :racer:
I don't see the FordRS as a rival to an RS3-they will attract totally different types of people and I don't think many Audi RS drivers would consider a Focus-pure badge snobbery-Guilty as charged your honour.
The M2 is definitely a rival as would the M3 be and Mercs A45 or C43
I would actually have the Golf GTI before most of the cars in that test too as it has a good pedigree and looks like a grown ups car.

Reactions: Dazzeroo
They will have to make another video once the new FL RS3 is out next year and that will put the others to shame if the TTRS is anything to go by!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worthless review, do all the tests which the A45 won then choose the FRS, what's the point? Should have just driven them round the track and said oooh the RS has a drift button this is fun and declared it the winner, don't know why they have to bring up the price of the A45 and RS3 in every review either, what if owners of either didn't want to spend 30k on a ****** chav wagon, focus diesel interior laden focus RS?

Reactions: Dazzeroo and AudiNutta