A3 production for 2015

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've just been reading the 2015 Audi AG Annual Report. It gives the following figures for A3s delivered to customers by model...
Audi A3 - 19,231
Audi A3 Sportback - 194,144
Audi A3 Sedan - 140,097
Audi A3 Cabriolet - 19,292
Audi Q3 - 199,830

Interesting that the Q3 figure is higher than the Sportback.

Total for all Audi models was 1,803,248 up from the 2014 figure of 1,741,129

Amazed at 140k sedans. Seen about 3 round my way so lord knows where they all are!!

Reactions: C1j2w3f4
Amazed at 140k sedans. Seen about 3 round my way so lord knows where they all are!!
Probably mostly in the USA. These are 'world' delivery figures. It would be interesting to get a UK breakdown. Perhaps I email Audi UK and see if they can let us have the figures.

Reactions: richinsoton and Simon L
Probably mostly in the USA. These are 'world' delivery figures. It would be interesting to get a UK breakdown. Perhaps I email Audi UK and see if they can let us have the figures.

Ah ok Dave, assumed this was UK. Would be interested in the UK numbers.

Makes sense, if you can get a UK report i'd be interested to see the numbers

Of course!

A S3 (and RS3) is an A3, comes down the same production line, vast majority of bits are the same, different engine, different suspension, and go-faster bodykit :D

As far as the production line is concerned, its the same difference between say, a 1.4COD and a 2.0TDi S-Line coming down the line.

So as a manual 3dr S3 owner in standard red with 10spoke optional alloys the car should be relatively rare.........for a mass produced small German hatchback, who'd have thought.

I've emailed Audi UK asking for a similar model by model list for just the UK. Assuming they know of course !!

Reactions: OliS3
How many left gives data on new registrations by variant. There's some cross pollenation which means it's not always easy to separate out various types, and there's no separation for 3 door, sportback, cabrio or saloon, but for S variants at least, these are still relatively small numbers;

Here's the bulk of the 8V S3's

And this might be the manual S3's, all three generations lumped together.

This is 8V RS3's

And 8P RS3's

When you compare S3 Vs Golf R, you can see the R outsells its stablemate by about 2 to 1.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: Tony1982 and Daveotto
@GSB great post where did you source the data.

If you assume 2M new car registrations a year that's about 0.15% of all new cars are S3's so on average you would need to see 667 new cars (15 or 65 plate) before you might spot an S3

Or, with 39 million cars on the road and total number of S3's/RS3's on the road is about 7000 that's about 0.02% of all cars ......1 car in 4500... pretty rare beasts for high volume hatchback variant!!

All data comes from howmanyleft.co.uk

Reactions: Daveotto
I'm surprised just how low the worldwide figure is for the 3dr hatch & cab, especially considering how popular cabs are in this country!.

The numbers are skewed when you consider that the UK is the second largest market in Europe for open top cars. We buy only fractionally fewer then Germany, despite them having a total car market some 600,000 units larger than us last year. A disproportionately large number of those 19000 cabrios sold last year will be found in Germany, the U.K.,and the USA.

One of the factors why open top cars are popular in Germany is, like motorcycles, you can register them in a way that you can only use them and only pay road tax on them for 6 months of the year. A lot of motorcycles for example are only registered for the summer months. It's the same with a lot of the open top cars as well.

So the Germans buy them because there are financial incentives. Sensible reasons.

The British take an inverse stance and buy them despite the very sensible reasons presented. Namely, dreary weather, vandalism and increased costs of ownership and insurance.

Heroes...

Reactions: richinsoton
So the Germans buy them because there are financial incentives. Sensible reasons.

The British take an inverse stance and buy them despite the very sensible reasons presented. Namely, dreary weather, vandalism and increased costs of ownership and insurance.

Heroes...
Or IDIOTS depending on your point of view...

I don't count myself as an idiot, despite my having owned a multitude of soft top/folding hard top/no-top-whatsoever cars.

Well I emailed Audi UK and they have finally replied and say they don't know how many of each model have been sold in the UK.

Well I emailed Audi UK and they have finally replied and say they don't know how many of each model have been sold in the UK.
For don't know, read either won't tell or can't be bothered to find out.
Of course they know!!

Since I have had my S3 (12 months), In fact no I will go back to when I ordered it (18 months), I have seen the grand total of 5 S3's on the road, I like that :), they were: 1 sepang saloon, 1 Glacier sportback, 1 sepang hatch and 2 daytona hatch's. Sad I remember them?!

Last edited:
When I bought my first A3 1.8T Sport back in April 1998 they were a very rare site on the road. That was before Audi PCPs!

When I bought my first A3 1.8T Sport back in April 1998 they were a very rare site on the road. That was before Audi PCPs!
Saw a T reg 1.8 A4 on the road today and it looked smaller than my 65 plate s3