2016 8V A3/S3 Facelift Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I place my order end of Feb...dealer knew nothing about the FL....and still doesn't!.....Audi UK informed me the FL would hit the roads late 2016!

The dealer hadn't even seen the spyshots from Auto Express!

Mine will be 'dated' within a few months of ownership!...although I've only ever seen a handful of saloons in the past few years so shouldn't be an issue (hmmm but I know....)

I place my order end of Feb...dealer knew nothing about the FL....and still doesn't!.....Audi UK informed me the FL would hit the roads late 2016!

The dealer hadn't even seen the spyshots from Auto Express!

Mine will be 'dated' within a few months of ownership!...although I've only ever seen a handful of saloons in the past few years so shouldn't be an issue (hmmm but I know....)

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, ordered mine on the 28th Feb and until I mentioned the FL my dealer was none the wiser as well.

I went to my local Audi dealership today to look at the A3 Saloon, been struggling to choose between the Daytona Grey and Misano Red (what do you think guys?), the sales manager told me they've stopped accepting orders for the A3 due to the new facelift and changeover to the new model which he expects to happen the back end of summer. I understand this doesn't necessarily apply to the S and RS models but it seems I won't be ordering my new A3 from Cardiff Audi! I spoke to Bridgend Audi which is a Sytner dealership, they are still accepting orders however.

I feel qualified in answering this (but will be more qualified in a few months)

I have looked and agonised over the saloon colours for many many months....when I ordered my current SB...I had no doubt that Daytona was the best colour (IMO)....it suits the SB ...it just looks right (IMO)...in fact lets just say now this is all IMO.....the SB is a nice looking car ...the nicest looking hatchback for the money..but doesn't look the nicest in EVERY colour...

The saloon...is the nicest looking car for the money....it suits many of the ever decreasing colours.....I love Daytona ....love it ...had the car nearly 3 years and still love it....dirty it looks just grey but a good grey....clean and in the sunshine it's beautiful.....the depth and the pearl effect are outstanding.....

Misano and Brilliant Red (discontinued)...there's something about the lines of the saloon that red really accentuates ...and I do not like red...I've never owned a red car I didn't think I ever would..I don't need to get into the reds debate as Misano is the only one available now Misano is quite an unusual colour - it may need a trained eye to spot it ...but it has the orange-red-deep red spectrum in its make up...more evident on the move and even more so in the sun...however most people will just think its a nice red!...Misano suits the saloon more than any of the colours....Daytona is the nicest looking colour....Misano is exciting and sporty ...Daytona is classy and slightly more refined looking...maybe more expensive looking......they both have their own merits...........I've seen Misano on a sunny day and all i could mutter was wow... I think Misano is the saloon's colour..it takes a brave person to go for Misano as it stands out among the greys and silvers..Daytona is a safe choice ..its inoffensive......If my current SB was Misano I would be going Daytona this time...2 totally different colours...I would probably recommend the Daytona..(if you have never owned a grey car.)...but my the heads will turn when they see the Misano floating by....

Last edited:
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, ordered mine on the 28th Feb and until I mentioned the FL my dealer was none the wiser as well.

I contacted them again to confirm if it was PFL or FL (arrives in June and if it does i guess it must be the PFL)- and as they havent heard about the FL its safe to say its a PFL!...... it's a company car so i am almost forced to wait and see what happens..I may be able to cancel and re-order if I wanted the FL but how long would I need to wait and then it would mean i may have my 3rd anniversary out of the summer months when the car is renewed again (be a new model then by 2019)...I think I've resigned myself to just missing out on the FL..would feel happier if its released a long time after mine is delivered!

I would go Daytona grey, unless you are a keen detailer and prepared to see every mark on misano!
Good news on the Misano, after having lived with it for a year, I can say it doesn't highlight the inevitable scratches. It also doesn't readily show dirt so you can minimize scratches by not needing to wash it so often. It's also a little cooler on hot, sunny days. Not a stealth color, though.

I spoke to my local dealership and was told its not a facelift as Audi saw that as too drastic, instead its a product improvement, new engines, small interior changes and possibly new alloys

Reactions: Mojave96, Lisle91, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
I spoke to my local dealership and was told its not a facelift as Audi saw that as too drastic, instead its a product improvement, new engines, small interior changes and possibly new alloys

No new engine as far as the S3 is concerned,been saying this all along its a extremely minor change,standard equipment will improve across the range but a price increase will cover this,the only changes will be with expensive options

Reactions: Mojave96, Lisle91 and Snake Pliskin
No, but they'll either get rid of the 1.8 petrol, make it COD or replace with the 2.0l in a lower form of output such as the A4 has...

I have seen that there is supposed to be a 3-cylinder engine of some sort added to the range. As long as they keep the 2.0TDI-184 I will be happy! Without a doubt the best engine I've had in any of my A3s. Plenty of power and plenty of low down torque.

We have a three cylinder in our fiesta and the engine makes the car fun to drive with a pleasant sound, however it does suffer from a slight vibration. It is surprisingly gutsy from what its performance figures suggest though...

Gutted! A tiny part of me was almost expecting, borderline praying, to see the facelift revealed at the New York Motor Show, but they decide to reveal the R8 Spyder instead :tired::cry:

Sod the R8

The star of the show was the MX-5 RF !!!

Reactions: GSB and AndyB-S3
Wish they would use the 2litre petrol engine in the 8V A3 that they use in the A4
My friend @Blackwhite has one in the States, but the Uk market don't get the engine. Strange!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Remember, market offerings in the UK are driven by the fleet sector and P11D figures! Retail is a small size, compared to fleet!

Reactions: H17YD L
Perhaps the facelift will include MIB-II ....... now that would be a vast improvement.

That's a bad Will Smith movie :grin: not so good as the first one...

Reactions: veeeight
Perhaps the facelift will include MIB-II ....... now that would be a vast improvement.

This and the virtual cockpit are fundamentally why, amongst other issues with my actual order (inability to add a couple of extra option 5 days after ordering, I am waiting to see what the FL has before making any decision on my current order.

:sob:

It's stunning. And if the last ones are anything to go by, the driver involvement and experience will be awesome!
:p

Placed an order for a new A3 saloon on the 7th March for delivery in September. Went to the dealer today and before I could ask about the facelift, saleswoman said I would be getting one of the new PI models (product improvement) . She reckons details of the updates will be released in April.

@veeeight - No matter how good one is, the MX 5 is known for being bought & driven by women over 40 years of age
Just saying ... :p :D

No it's not... There's plenty of younger drivers out there learning how to get it all sideyways in an MX5.

It is however known for being a fine drivers car, with a first class rear drive chassis that will teach you more about car control in a thousand miles than you'll learn from a hatchback in a year... Trust me on this. I've got one, and while the S3 that's replacing it will blow it into the weeds in outright pace and sheer grip, it has none of the feedback, delicacy and finesse that the MX5 has. In comparison the Audi is actually pretty lifeless. Oh, and unlike Audi who will TD1 you out of the door for playing with your engine, you can buy a dealer supported BBR tuned MX5. My main dealer tuned mine with the BBRGT180 kit for an extra 20bhp, But I could have gone for the 200hp option, or full blooded BBR GT270 turbo for an extra 110hp...

Placed an order for a new A3 saloon on the 7th March for delivery in September. Went to the dealer today and before I could ask about the facelift, saleswoman said I would be getting one of the new PI models (product improvement) . She reckons details of the updates will be released in April.
This is the normal schedule for Audi. Revised model details to dealers some time in April. Production of the revised model begins sometime in June or July. First UK deliveries around September. All we need know are the details of the revisions.

No it's not... There's plenty of younger drivers out there learning how to get it all sideyways in an MX5.

It is however known for being a fine drivers car, with a first class rear drive chassis that will teach you more about car control in a thousand miles than you'll learn from a hatchback in a year... Trust me on this. I've got one, and while the S3 that's replacing it will blow it into the weeds in outright pace and sheer grip, it has none of the feedback, delicacy and finesse that the MX5 has. In comparison the Audi is actually pretty lifeless. Oh, and unlike Audi who will TD1 you out of the door for playing with your engine, you can buy a dealer supported BBR tuned MX5. My main dealer tuned mine with the BBRGT180 kit for an extra 20bhp, But I could have gone for the 200hp option, or full blooded BBR GT270 turbo for an extra 110hp...

So we've established that you are a 45 year old female that loves her MX-5.
What are you doing buying a S3, and a non facelift S3 by the looks of things?

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Bristle Hound
So we've established that you are a 45 year old female that loves her MX-5.
What are you doing buying a S3, and a non facelift S3 by the looks of things?

Good question. I blame the menopause...

Reactions: wideboybloke, Mojave96 and Bristle Hound
This is the normal schedule for Audi. Revised model details to dealers some time in April. Production of the revised model begins sometime in June or July. First UK deliveries around September. All we need know are the details of the revisions.

So I take it that any cars with a build week of 22 onwards will get the car on a facelift?

Ordered my company car yesterday, A3 Saloon S Line, my fleet manager knows that the factory isn't accepting orders anymore but thinks he can get one Audi already has on order modified, likely won't be built til post BW22, so hopefully I'll get the MY17 changes, but I very much doubt they'll build the FL model when I ordered a PFL before any official confirmation that the FL even exists! Either way, beautiful car and I'm looking forward to joining Team Daytona!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Ordered my company car yesterday, A3 Saloon S Line, my fleet manager knows that the factory isn't accepting orders anymore but thinks he can get one Audi already has on order modified, likely won't be built til post BW22, so hopefully I'll get the MY17 changes, but I very much doubt they'll build the FL model when I ordered a PFL before any official confirmation that the FL even exists! Either way, beautiful car and I'm looking forward to joining Team Daytona!

Dayz of Thunder Grey, not many of them on the roads....lol

@GSB - You would say that coz you've got one ;)
Interested to hear your thoughts when you get your new S3 my friend :thumbs up:
No it's not...
& ohhh yes it is ! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: GSB
I can't believe that with a 2.0l engine the mazda is so slow and this is down to mazda's investment in to skyactive, meaning no turbo just bigger engines. I bet even the 1.4 cod engine in that type of bodyshell would be more interesting. Oh and where are those curling tongs? :p

Reactions: Mojave96
The MX-5 has just taken 2016 World Car of the Year, AND 2016 World Car Design of the year too.

First time in the competitions history that both awards have gone to the same car.

I can't believe that with a 2.0l engine the mazda is so slow and this is down to mazda's investment in to skyactive, meaning no turbo just bigger engines. I bet even the 1.4 cod engine in that type of bodyshell would be more interesting. Oh and where are those curling tongs? :p

Yup I can confirm this as I test drove one of the mazda models and frankly they are so slooooow. One of the reasons I stuck with Audi. Beautiful design, amazing engines.

You can have a 1.4 turbo in that chassis (and most of the body too). It's called the fiat 124 spider.

Anyway, to base an assumption on power alone is missing the point. The car is light. Very light. 1075kg for a fully equipped 2.0 sport version, a little less for the revvy 1.5. This makes it very very agile and a lot of fun to drive. A top spec A3 is 25% more portly, but only 12% more powerful. That's sluggish. The S3 is more than 30% heavier, but has c.40% more power, so the deficit is not as big as you'd think...
You're right about the engine though. It's very torquey, but it's not as powerful as you'd expect. A BBR remap and exhaust manifold takes it to 190bhp for not a lot of money, a figure that puts its power to weight ratio in the same ballpark as the S3, but in much much lighter and more nimble chassis. It's a very compelling package, just so long as you only want to take one other person along. The Audi is a far more practical proposition.

Last edited:
You can have a 1.4 turbo in that chassis (and most of the body too). It's called the fiat 124 spider.

View attachment 85349
Anyway, to base an assumption on power alone is missing the point. The car is light. Very light. 1075kg for a fully equipped 2.0 sport version, a little less for the revvy 1.5. This makes it very very agile and a lot of fun to drive. A top spec A3 is 25% more portly, but only 12% more powerful. That's sluggish. The S3 is more than 30% heavier, but has c.40% more power, so the deficit is not as big as you'd think...
View attachment 85362
You're right about the engine though. It's very torquey, but it's not as powerful as you'd expect. A BBR remap and exhaust manifold takes it to 190bhp for not a lot of money, a figure that puts its power to weight ratio in the same ballpark as the S3, but in much much lighter and more nimble chassis. It's a very compelling package, just so long as you only want to take one other person along. The Audi is a far more practical proposition.

Do not put that table up in the RS3 section; all you'll hear is how great the engine sound is and that they aren't bothered about how it goes round a corner and that they'll never take it on a track so it's a pointless comparison..........

Reactions: veeeight and GSB
The MX-5 has just taken 2016 World Car of the Year, AND 2016 World Car Design of the year too.

First time in the competitions history that both awards have gone to the same car.
@veeeight - At least we all know what your next car is now then ;)
Will go with your tag line under your avatar too :p :D

FWIW I've been a long term admirer of the MX-5 too.
Never quite gotten round to having one - not an every day car for me and not special enough to have as my garage toy.
That RF is a great looking car!

Do not put that table up in the RS3 section; all you'll hear is how great the engine sound is and that they aren't bothered about how it goes round a corner and that they'll never take it on a track so it's a pointless comparison..........
Of course what the **** would the owners know.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Status
Not open for further replies.