2016 8V A3/S3 Facelift Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone so bothered about the 7 speed? The reviews I've read seem to favour the 6 speed

One of the things people on here have said time and time again (ever since the S3 8V came out) is that the S-tronic could really do with a 7th gear. So you can appreciate that people are happy it's now here.

Moving on, people have also constantly been saying they want matrix LED lights.

I guess Audi has been listening to it's customers :)

No doubt when the next "all new" one comes out in a few years the other creases will be ironed out such as the steering and suspension a lot of people say flaws it.

Last edited:
One of the things people on here have said time and time again (ever since the S3 8V came out) is that the S-tronic could really do with a 7th gear. So you can appreciate that people are happy it's now here.

Moving on, people have also constantly been saying they want matrix LED lights.

I guess Audi has been listening to it's customers :)

No doubt when the next "all new" one comes out in a few years the other creases will be ironed out such as the steering and suspension a lot of people say flaws it.

Of course, I was more asking why rather than saying it was a bad thing :)

Thanks for the info

Of course, I was more asking why rather than saying it was a bad thing :)

Thanks for the info

Something to do with high revs when cruising at 70-80mph and wanting improved economy, personally It has never been something that has even crossed my mind since having mine.

my first complain 2 years ago was the lack of 7th gear DSG on the S3.

then we bought the RS3 with its DQ500 7 gear DSG and I just felt and feel it was/is an OLD DSG version.

the actual 6th DSG DQ250 used in the S3 is more refined and faster than the RS3 version by far.

Audi says it is a fully new DSG 7th gear so we will see how it goes.

regards

Owners reviews on various forums. I'm not saying either way but most people seem to see the 7 speed as the deal breaker so I wanted to understand why
Depends a lot on how old the reviews are. There is an existing 7-gear DSG available on quite a number of VAG cars at the moment but it is a dry-clutch version and is used on the less powerful models. The existing 6-gear DSG used on the current more powerful A3/S3 is a wet clutch version. The new 7-gear DSG will be a development of the 6-gear wet clutch rather than the 7-gear dry clutch.

Although they don't specifically say "S3" take what you will from this quote from the Audi Media Centre PDF:

"The 2.0 TFSI engines are joined by a fully newly developed seven-speed S tronic with wet clutch. It replaces the previous six-speed dual clutch transmission"

As far as I know the S3 has a 2.0 TFSI engine......

The S3 is a TSI mate.

Depends a lot on how old the reviews are. There is an existing 7-gear DSG available on quite a number of VAG cars at the moment but it is a dry-clutch version and is used on the less powerful models. The existing 6-gear DSG used on the current more powerful A3/S3 is a wet clutch version. The new 7-gear DSG will be a development of the 6-gear wet clutch rather than the 7-gear dry clutch.
Exactly, "The 2.0 TFSI engines are joined by a fully newly developed seven-speed S tronic with wet clutch" https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en...r-the-compact-bestseller-the-new-audi-a3-5872

Sooooo

I have just spoken to my 'agent' who spoke with the supplying dealer....I ordered mine end of Jan and they have confirmed today that I will be getting the FL version in JUNE...as originally planned..I've questioned it and they have re-confirmed it (at no extra cost as it was price locked at the time of order) I was thinking PFL looks prettier but I've changed my mind lol.

HOWEVER......I also have the chance to change the colour but I have to wait for the colour range on the s-line saloon...does anyone know which of the extra colours will hit the s-line?....My current order is Misano and I'm happy with it but I didn't have the option that I have now.

Personally I may have to wait a while as from the details so far it seems that the new 184 diesel will not be available for another six months. That would fit in quite nicely as my existing one is just 2 years old.

Again personally I'm not that bothered about the outside appearance. The new one looks fine to me. I am more concerned about the interior after all that is where I spend most of my time with the car and Audi do not seemed to have changed very much apart from the MMI and the screen size now being 7". I do hope that a round steering wheel is still going to be available on non-S-Line models. Nearly all the available pictures show an S-Line with leather interior, neither of which would I want.

I've driven a diesel A3 for the last 12 years and a petrol A3 for 6 years as well as other petrol cars for the previous 28 years before that so I will test drive the new 2.0-190 TFSI but I still do around 14k miles a year, quite a bit of which is in Europe where diesel is quite a bit cheaper than petrol and of course I get much better mpg and do actual produce less CO2. So I may well wait for the new 184 diesel version.

I am liking the tango red , but misano is Audi red !

The face lift also has sequential rear indicators...

Last edited:
The face lift also has sequential rear indicators...
But is that only with the LED Matrix headlights. Certainly on the video showing the indicators in use the car has the LED Matrix lights. Audi may do the same as only those cars with Xenon headlights had the LED DRLs. No technical reasons just a marketing ploy to sell more of the more expensive headlights. Personally I'm that keen on them, preferring the normal flashing indicators. The law says that indicators must flash at a given rate but I'm sure Audi will have sort out this one.

Also, no fog lights!

Assuming these are built into the LED light unit. Wonder if the xenon lights will have the same or separate units?

Also, no fog lights!

Assuming these are built into the LED light unit. Wonder if the xenon lights will have the same or separate units?
Perhaps Audi have decided they are no longer necessary with modern headlights. I've had my A3 with xenon headlights for 2 years and have never switched the fog lights on.

Perhaps Audi have decided they are no longer necessary with modern headlights. I've had my A3 with xenon headlights for 2 years and have never switched the fog lights on.

Fair point,neither have I. Right back when I had xenons on my Mk5 golf gti, I've never needed to use the fogs.

Screwed over again by Audi, manual dropped from new S3.

Screwed over again by Audi, manual dropped from new S3.
Looking through the images that Audi media centre have, they show an S3 that's manual.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 391
Looking through the images that Audi media centre have, they show an S3 that's manual.
View attachment 86853
I think all the photos in the released information show S-Line models rather S3. We may have to wait until the full UK Price and Specification Guide is available before we will know for certain and the S3 may not even not be included in the first edition.

But is that only with the LED Matrix headlights. Certainly on the video showing the indicators in use the car has the LED Matrix lights. Audi may do the same as only those cars with Xenon headlights had the LED DRLs. No technical reasons just a marketing ploy to sell more of the more expensive headlights. Personally I'm that keen on them, preferring the normal flashing indicators. The law says that indicators must flash at a given rate but I'm sure Audi will have sort out this one.
Possibly the sequential front indicators but with the rears, if the facelift follows the a4's lead, the sequential rears will be with the sline's led headlamps...

I think all the photos in the released information show S-Line models rather S3. We may have to wait until the full UK Price and Specification Guide is available before we will know for certain and the S3 may not even not be included in the first edition.

Have a look at the dash and MMI. Says S3. Also S3 logo on steering wheel.

Reactions: OliS3
anyone know if the 1.0 TFSI will be available with Stronic gearbox and what co2 emissions will be in both manual and if available Stronic versions? Am I also right in saying xenon plus headlights as standard does not also mean front led drl's are standard?

Last edited:
anyone know if the 1.0 TFSI will be available with Stronic gearbox and what co2 emissions will be in both manual and if available Stronic versions? Am I also right in saying xenon plus headlights as standard does not also mean front led drl's are standard?
Mpg and CO2 figures still be tested before it gets it's Type Approval. They don't want to get it wrong this time!!
As far as the s-tronic being available on the 1.0TFSI have a look at the Audi UK website to see if it's available on the A1 with that engine.

Spoke to the dealer today and he said first build week for the S3 is 26 and first delivery would be end of July.
Orders can be confirmed first week in May, when prices will be released.

Looks like I am in for a longer wait than I thought :angry:

Spoke to the dealer today and he said first build week for the S3 is 26 and first delivery would be end of July.
Orders can be confirmed first week in May, when prices will be released.

Looks like I am in for a longer wait than I thought :angry:

Hmmm. Me too. Was expecting a car in time for LeMans 24hr...

Wonder what offers will be available, especially using broker sites... The new A4 still had pretty nice discounts on offer when it was released..

Owners reviews on various forums. I'm not saying either way but most people seem to see the 7 speed as the deal breaker so I wanted to understand why

A 7 speed will always be more fuel efficient than a 6 speed

I have to say my very first reaction was one of being underwhelmed; that said it is a facelift not a whole new model. The interior looks the same if Virtual Cockpit is not specified.

That said, some interesting developments on the petrol engine side. The 2 litre has a similar HP figure to my current 1.8, but the increase in torque is interesting. Then again, maybe I'll stretch to an S3. Slightly academic for me at present as I don't plan on changing until 2017, and even then will consider other cars as well.

Having just placed an order for A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport Stronic in Misano Red, I am happy with the facelift but have one or two unanswered questions although I know its very early days!

1. I opted for cruise control as my only option on my (unsigned as yet) order and it was costed appropriately - I have now read cruise control is to be standard - I assume I can/will have this deducted from my order price?
2. Tango Red is a new colour - if this is a non metallic/pearl (no cost colour) I may want to choose this instead - how would I stand?
3. The only mention of a 1.4 TFSI engine that I have seen so far is the cylinder on demand (COD) one - has anyone seen if the bog standard 1.4 TFSI engine will still be available?

Also I am pleased that other items such as light/rain sensor and Xenon lights with LED drl's are now to be standard as these are items I previously thought of but decided against as trying to avoid adding too many extras!

Last edited:
Any ideas when the RS3 will get this facelift? It will look dated compared to the S3.

It's somewhat annoying since I bought my S3 last October, however, the only thing I'm concerned about (as you can barely call that a facelift, even by Audi's standards), is whether they've sorted out this pigawful steering rack on this car yet. If they haven't changed that, then I really couldn't care less about the update.

Reactions: Soulboy
Any ideas when the RS3 will get this facelift? It will look dated compared to the S3.
"Autumn" according to current issue of Auto Zeitung - SB and Saloon.

Having just placed an order for A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport Stronic in Misano Red, I am happy with the facelift but have one or two unanswered questions although I know its very early days!

1. I opted for cruise control as my only option on my (unsigned as yet) order and it was costed appropriately - I have now read cruise control is to be standard - I assume I can/will have this deducted from my order price?
2. Tango Red is a new colour - if this is a non metallic/pearl (no cost colour) I may want to choose this instead - how would I stand?
3. The only mention of a 1.4 TFSI engine that I have seen so far is the cylinder on demand (COD) one - has anyone seen if the bog standard 1.4 TFSI engine will still be available?

Also I am pleased that other items such as light/rain sensor and Xenon lights with LED drl's are now to be standard as these are items I previously thought of but decided against as trying to avoid adding too many extras!
Hi

How did you manage to order the new a3 facelift? Someone here posted that prices and orders start end of the month

I think just like me ..,. I ordered mine in January for a June delivery and have been advised its a FL

Status
Not open for further replies.