Audi A3 Stereo Help Please!

Tomas Sears

Reaction score
I have had my Audi A3 2012 plate for a couple of months, pretty much in love with it apart from one problem... Playing music from Spotify on my Android phone!

I don't have AMI or anything as such, at the moment I just use the AUX port, but the big problem is trying to change song. I would love to be able to use the Multi Function Steering Wheel, because at the moment trying to change the track on the phone is pretty fiddly! Don't mind if the solution was using Bluetooth of some sort of USB cable.

Is the only solution AMI? Can you not plug a cable in to the back of the stereo and have it come out in maybe the glove box?
I have been in contact with Nigel regarding the issue who has given me some very helpful advise.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and any solution used? The cheaper the better! as funds are at a low from buying the car!
I have attached the picture of my stereo at the moment:
IMG 20150823 180016

Any advise/ help, I would be greatly thankful!
Also, sorry for posting a new thread - i have been searching forums for ages, but have not found anything yet

My advise would be to ditch this headunit for something with Bluetooth to allow you to stream your music and have the controls through the wheel.

For the money and features, it's hard to beat an Android unit - http://www.autopumpkin.com/car-dvd-...can-bus-3g-wifi-dvrfor-audi-a3-2003-2011.html

That unit comes with all the wiring you need and looks close to OEM. It runs Android OS and works with the Google store, so you could even run Spotify directly on it, as well as navigation, hands-free calling, integration with OBD on the car to mention just a few of the features. For £280 it hard to beat it. Downside is that it's not a brand name and quality is a bit hit and miss sometimes, although the suppliers seem to be pretty good at handling issues with the units with EU warehouses now being a common thing.

I just ordered a slightly more powerful unit with a slightly better screen, but that is because I don't want a DVD drive and already have all of the adapters I will need to fit it - http://www.carjoying.com/quad-core-...een-airplay-gps-navigation-radio-audio-s.html

Failing that, my Pioneer AVH-X8600BT is about to be for sale:

Thanks for the advise - much appreciated! Very helpful
Would all three type of units fit my set-up? The first link says Audi A3 2003-2011 but I have a 12 plate
Sorry for seeming a bit dim! I new to the world of Audi's!
I really like the first link, because as you said it looks very OEM!
How much would you be selling your unit for?

No problem! It's good to pay back to the community to make up for tall the help I received when I first started out with Audis :)

As far as fitting goes, the Pumkin-branded unit should be a direct replacement even on a 2012 car (your Concert unit looks identical to the one I had)... Wiring should also be fine unless Audi switched from the Quadlock Canbus connector. Maybe someone more knowledgeable with newer A3 will come along and confirm this?

I'd probably want somewhere in the region of 300 for my Pioneer unit, but it would not include any of the Audi adapters as I'll be needing those for the new unit.

Good on ya! :)
Just looking at the pumpkin one, only problem is that (From what i can see) there is no way to play Spotify without using the built in apps? I'm with Three mobile, and my contract doesn't allow tethering and don't want to have a dongle :/ as I'm pretty sure you cant play media over the bluetooth connection? I like the Joying unit. would look great along side my Nexus! Are they normally a nice easy install? as long as you have the correct connections. How much do the connections tent to cost?

I'm on Three also, so love the all-you-can-eat data plan :) You can stream Spotify over BT from your phone with any of the modern units that support A2DP, which is the protocol for this sort of thing. These Android units are no different.

The install is normally simple, but only if you have the correct wiring harnesses and facia adapters (if one is required). I've installed my fair share of aftermarket units in Audis, so would be easy for me, but if you have never done this before I couldn't comment. As the saying goes - It's easy if you know how :)

If you are keen on the Android HU path, but have no experience in installing aftermarket HUs, I'd recommend going for the Pumpkin unit that has everything you need and looks to be a plug and play affair, so would be very easy to do.

Alternatively, this looks even more like an OEM RNS-E unit with better screen and more powerful processor, but be careful as yo ucould get stung for Import duty as it's being sent from HK - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Quad-Co...I-A3-2027EN-/231663542058?hash=item35f0391f2a

Ahh OK, so the pumpkin unit would support playing media over Bluetooth? If so that would be great, specially as the unit comes with everything you need. Yeah I love the all you can eat plan! I don't think I ever use WiFi!

I guess everyone installing units had to start from somewhere, I'm sure if I get stuck there would be plenty of guides and videos on-line. Or if it comes to it, I'll find a shop around my area that can give me a helping hand.

Its amazing how many different units there are actually online. thousands! Its an even nicer looking unit, but have to contact seller to see if they can maybe mark it as a gift or if there is anything else they can do ;) Just bought a phone (OnePlus 2) from China and got away with the tax!