Audi A3 symphony stereo not working, please help!

Conn99

Reaction score
Hi, I own a 2009 a3 with the symphony head unit with BOSE speakers . The stereo (when turning on the ignition/starting the car or manually pressing the power button on the head unit) only powered on sometimes it was a gamble on wether it could come on and turning on/off the ignition to try and turn it on wouldn't help it either. So I bought some key removal tools and went and got a replacement 10A fuse from halfords for the bak of the head unit to see if that was the problem and at first after replacing it, it was working (made a disk eject like noise on plugging back in, i don't know if that is normal) although that night when I went back in the car i had noticed it wouldn't come on again so I remove the stereo again and plug it back in and it works again all night after turning off and leaving the car a couple of times until the morning after and the problem is back with it not powering on, if anybody can please offer any help ill be very grateful as its making me want to tear my hair out. And sorry about the long paragraph just wanted to explain everything...

Could be a few things, could check the fuse in the fuse box for the radio which would be on the end of the dash on the right hand side. Could be worth checking that there is actually power going to the radio. Or it could just be a faulty unit or even possibly a loose connection behind the unit

Could be a few things, could check the fuse in the fuse box for the radio which would be on the end of the dash on the right hand side. Could be worth checking that there is actually power going to the radio. Or it could just be a faulty unit or even possibly a loose connection behind the unit
Do you have an idea of what fuze it is I've not got the faintest idea also do you mean the a,b,c,d block connector or is there a connection deeper in the dash because I've had it in and out and sprayed the ports with compressed air. would the head unit be getting occasional power if there was a problem with the fuze, thanks

Sounds like a faulty unit to me.
If you want to stay with the OE head unit they are cheap enough to buy on eBay, second hand of course.
And yes, when you power-up a head unit it will make that whirring-eject type noise.

Sounds like a faulty unit to me.
If you want to stay with the OE head unit they are cheap enough to buy on eBay, second hand of course.
And yes, when you power-up a head unit it will make that whirring-eject type noise.
Thanks mate, ill have a look on ebay for a new unit

Update: I went out in the car this morning with the unit not working, after 10 minutes or so driving I pressed the button on the unit and it turned on, could it be a dodgy or insufficiently charged battery as i have not been using the car too much and got it less than a month ago from someone who has had it sorn on their drive for a while

Man do you got any idea what is duty of fuse?

update: Tried 15a fuse and problem still persists.

Get back the original one to it if not it wouldn't do its work properly (the fuse) that might cause fire.

Fuse is an protection agnist over voltage, in case of over voltage (short circuit) its breaking so you can't turn on equipment related to circuit related to that fuse unless you replace it.
Anyway check the connector on back of radio for any loose connections or corrosion and if you got radio in hand try to turn it on and move the power connector meanwhile (if got poor connection probably will turn on). If not it will be problem with unit, check if it was also properly coded in vcds.
The sound of cd eject is because you got powered it up and its doing auto power up to check all systems as well to check if cd is in there etc...

Update: I went out in the car this morning with the unit not working, after 10 minutes or so driving I pressed the button on the unit and it turned on, could it be a dodgy or insufficiently charged battery as i have not been using the car too much and got it less than a month ago from someone who has had it sorn on their drive for a while[/QUOTE

It looks like through lack of use the the car battery had gone flat. The car has been re-stArted but it can take time for the ecu to recognise the symphony radio.

Man do you got any idea what is duty of fuse?

Get back the original one to it if not it wouldn't do its work properly (the fuse) that might cause fire.

Fuse is an protection agnist over voltage, in case of over voltage (short circuit) its breaking so you can't turn on equipment related to circuit related to that fuse unless you replace it.
Anyway check the connector on back of radio for any loose connections or corrosion and if you got radio in hand try to turn it on and move the power connector meanwhile (if got poor connection probably will turn on). If not it will be problem with unit, check if it was also properly coded in vcds.
The sound of cd eject is because you got powered it up and its doing auto power up to check all systems as well to check if cd is in there etc...
Thanks guys I put the 10 amp fuse back in the unit (only tried it over night). Also, the last couple of days, the problem has not occurred so fingers crossed.

Reactions: Marek196c