Longlife or Milltek

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Hey,

Just visited my local longlife custom exhaust garage, they quoted me £720 for catback in 3" and £450 for a sports cat?! I thought this was a bit steep. Plus they didn't want to touch a 3" downpipe. I'm in two minds of what to do.

A. Get them to make me a 3" catback and buy a 3" DP and sports cat from Pipe Werx.

B. Buy a 2.75" Milltek non res catback and buy a 3" DP and sports cat from Pipe Werx.

Am I really likely to see many gains for £200 extra with the 3" custom catback over millteks 2.75"?

Any advise welcome

relentless dp either decat or sports cat and miltek

END

Reactions: sakib
Daz where can I buy relentless stuff? I've had a quick look, suggests over in the states?

Gaz, had a quick look through that link you sent, thanks but jetex stuff is all 2.5" I'm pushing for 2.75" min ideally 3"

I'm planning on running hybrid eventually with this build

for relentless you need to go on face book and search relentless k04 performance

also milteks are known to be good
sound nice and solid built

someone on here had a jetex and it struggled with flow

i have a magnex which sounds nice but too expensive
i got it on promo for 320 now upto 600 plus

Gaz - I'm hoping to get 320-330bhp with obvious supporting mods a nice daily driver with a bit more...... Kick.

THQuattro - I might have to give them a miss, there a fair trek from me, but thanks for your input.

Daz - I opted out of Facebook many years ago lol. So I'll have to try and source elsewhere. XS-Power seems to be the main sellers. A lot cheaper than Pipe Werx to unless you have to pay import tax on top? :/

Different car , but I know of a Stage 3a S14a with a Mongoose 2.5" at 360 bhp it usually comes in 1st on an Action day jolly around Castle Combe, its certainly not holding him back , the boost gauge holds steady suggesting if there was a flow restriction the gauge would creap back at mid to high revs.

I would of thought there would be a huge difference in price between Jetex and Milk-it.

Go to a different longlife shop. Ill drag out the receipt later on its much cheaper than that.

Go for a Chinese down pipe. I have one. It does the job.

I know what your saying gaz, I think having a 3" exhaust will aid with turbo spool as these engines don't rev anywhere near as much as the jap engines. That's just my thoughts.

Samuealle - I wouldn't mind if you could pull up the invoice at least then I could put that to the guys in Worcester. If not I will travel a little further to get one made. Otherwise I'll just get a miltek and other bits and fit it myself.

sam bryant on here is relentless which are the uk version of xspower

Get the pipewerx DP and sports cat, no problems with fitment, good piece of kit.

Manifold and DP are where the gains are, cat back is just going to make it sound different, oem cat back isn't very restrictive, gains are going to be minimal

yeh if you want hybrid get mani too
relentless were doing a package on both recently
i have relentless and fitment was fine

I'll PM Sam later on, see what prices he's doing a Mani and DP. Going hybrid won't happen for another 6-8 months at least. But I'm piecing all the parts ready. I've read highly of BBT so will probably go down that route.

I see XS-Power are doing a mani, hybrid turbo, 3" DP and decat for £580 delivered!

Anyway straying off topic a bit, unless longlife are going to drop there price for the 3" catback I'll just get 2.75" miltek I think, if the .25" isn't going to make much difference in gains

Are you changing your cat back for gains or simply for sound? Because if it's for gains there are much better ways to spend your money

he has said a few times that hes going hybrid mate
also lavis do you have an a3?
fwd??
if so its a much easier dp to make
massively so

300 from longlife for a cat back.

k418t barking through it with no issues.

It's all about gains, I'm not bothered by sound as long as it isn't stupidly loud. I don't want unwanted attention nor to look like a boy racer! I'll be going hybrid eventually as said above.

Samuealle - £300 is the sort of price I was expecting so you can imagine my surprise when they said £720. That price in 3"? And which longlife garage did you use? Thanks

3" is going to be louder than the milltek so milltek is going to be better suited in your case.

Yeah I can appreciate the 3" will be louder mate, I don't know what the miltek sounds like to compare, weather I'd prefer the 3" or not. I know there's 100's of vids on YouTube, but none really show how loud it is, you control the volume at the end of the day with YouTube lol.

Reactions: sakib
Thanks tuftty I thought that might be the case, what are your views on running hybrid on a 3" catback or will 2.75" miltek suffice? Any suggestions on 3" DP and sports cats also? From reading numerous threads your a guru with these cars

Should be fine... Miltek back box should be fine for hybrid power... it struggles a bit when using bigger framed turbo's heading north of 400hp

<tuffty/>

Reactions: TitaniumRx
Well that settles it, thanks again tuftty. And to everyone else. Unless I can get a company to make me up a 3" catback system for less than a miltek system. Then I'll go for miltek. I'll wait for Lavis and Samuealle's replies before committing myself to a miltek system.

20140318_201035.jpg

<tuffty/>

That's an impressive system tuftty, I've done some fishing around and have decided to buy Milltek, only because I managed to find a brand new non res catback system for £480.31 delivered :D roughly £50 cheaper than anywhere else. Just need to find myself 3" DP and sportscat. Oh and engine dog mount. Do I need to just replace the bushes or the whole mount?

he has said a few times that hes going hybrid mate
also lavis do you have an a3?
fwd??
if so its a much easier dp to make
massively so

A3 Quattro, still a easier DP than a s3, but a quick search on ebay threw up a load of 3" downpipes for £160, the sports cat is the bit that will set you back a fair bit.

1374193_382892215219619_2082938864746070639_n.jpg

Thats the catback, it's a bit loud for my liking tbh, but for the price i can't complain, idealy i would put in another silencer like tufftys

That's stealthy haha! No one would see the exhaust. Looks like it'd be loud!

For anyone that's thinking of buying a new Milltek exhaust, go to TSR Performance! Best experience I've had, £480.31 delivered and get it next day! Speak to a guy called Rob, he's head of sales.

Also check out there other stuff! I might be buying my Conrods from them! H beam £399 delivered!

ZRP Rifle drilled with 20mm Pin "Light weight" apparently £399 and for an extra £75 you can get ACL Race series bearings.

ZRP Rifle drilled with 20mm Pin "Light weight" apparently £399 and for an extra £75 you can get ACL Race series bearings.

Hummm... I have seen ZRP rods... the small end bearing had holes and channel machined in the bearing... not the best for oil pressure IMO... dunno if they have fixed that at all but I wouldn't touch um myself if they are like that...

The problem with most rod manufacturers is the rifle drilling is an afterthought rather than a design consideration... they just take rods designed to have splash lubricated small ends and 'drill' them... this normally means the small end bearing is not right to support a pressurised oil feed from the rifle drilling... here is a pic of a non drilled ZRP
Zrp

As you can see on the small end there is a grooved channel in the centre and holes to allow oil to be splashed in... all they do is 'drill' (its actually wire/spark erosion) which means all the oil pressure you would normally get just fills the channel and p*sses out the holes... OE rods have a channel IIRC but they don't have holes forcing oil around the bearing and pin and out the sides which is fine as the pressure is still maintained

<tuffty/>

Reactions: SamHendry