My Humble A3 Problem solving Thread

xWillo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Feel quite guilty starting a thread for such small and mundane problems...
However After hours of searching and not really getting anywhere I thought it's time to ask the professionals.

Firstly, My Centre Caps. At a Cost of ~£19 each from Audi new, or £12 pitted and chipped from ebay. I have decided to clean up and re-spray my current ones.
The problem I'm having is removing the actual emblem from the cap. Is this possible or are they pressed in to be left in. (I have considered painting them in a pva glue, spraying the cap and then peeling off the glue) However would prefer for neatness to have the emblem removed totally.

Another small question is the car idles at 900 however it sometimes starts to bounce, what is the cause of this. I have done a throttle body alignment however this made no change and it still does it intermittently.

I will continue to update this thread with further questions as they arise - And when I get the time to update the thread due to being currently at work.
All Feedback received is appreciated,
Thank you.

Last edited:
Ah wasn't sure if I added them in correctly, the part number is 8L0601165A. The Car is Audi A3 1.6 8L (1999)
search

Last edited:
Ah wasn't sure if I added them in correctly, the part number is 8L0601165A. The Car is Audi A3 1.6 8L (1999)
search
Hey there xwillo, I'm new to the audi but if I go by my old st170 with your idle issue, it could be something to do with the idle control valve.

Hey there xwillo, I'm new to the audi but if I go by my old st170 with your idle issue, it could be something to do with the idle control valve.

There is no idle control valve on these cars... More likely to be an air leak or maybe even MAF starting to die a bit, would also be worth cleaning the throttle body before you start throwing parts at it

There is no idle control valve on these cars... More likely to be an air leak or maybe even MAF starting to die a bit, would also be worth cleaning the throttle body before you start throwing parts at it
That's handy to know, does that go for all a3s

Okay Thanks for the help, and sorry for the really late reply. I have been out of the country.
MAF Sensor is looking around £20 would you recommend I replace this then and see if it helps?

Furthermore My Centre caps got finished. And look like new.
Will upload some pics when I get chance to take some.

A MAF sensor for 20 pounds? That seems way too cheap for me.

Only use a genuine bosch MAF, this will cost more than 20 pounds.

Ideally get a smoke test done at a garage to find any leaks