Quick cable?

S32B

Reaction score
I've just opened my goodie bag and have the cables shown, obviously the green one is for my iphone, but what is the standard usb one for...just another Apple product connected via the standard white usb cable you get with the Apple product, or can it be used with any random product that uses a usb connection?

Cable

The USB is for if you have any music on a USB stick.It can also be used for other devices like Android i believe.

Reactions: David83S3 and S32B
Could you not also use it and stick in an iPhone charger cable to extend this unit??

So could I plug in a 2TB HDD into the USB adaptor ?

You could give it a whirl. I phoned Audi to try and find out what the maximum capacity was and he thought (but couldn't confirm) that it was about 500gb. I bought a 500gb one just to be safe and it works fine.

You can use a 2tb drive if you partition it so that it appears as multiple disks :)

Reactions: Psyman79
What if I have an iphone 4....?

Can I use a new car as an excuse to upgrade my phone...?

Heck I'll probably need a new tv as well!

Of course you can. The new phone will need to pair with something when you're at home :)

Reactions: elpaulio
Doesn't the glove box contain the MMI socket AND a USB? I was hoping that's the case so I can attach my iPod classic via an MMI to 30-pin connector then have the option to connect my iPhone to USB if i wish..... or is it best to connect my iPod classic via the USB? Do both options mean full control through the system?

You can use a 2tb drive if you partition it so that it appears as multiple disks :)

Tried a plug and play approach with a 2TB HDD this morning and no joy ....so will need to partition like you say. Not sure I actually have 2TB of music....but at least I know I will never run low on space :thumbs up:

The glove box does not house either the AMI socket nor the USB socket (if fitted).
The arm rest cubby box does ;)

Or, if you spec Phone Box, you get a USB charge socket

You know when you type something and mean something else.... I meant to write arm rest, i'm really not with it today! I just want to make sure I can have my iPod classic plugged in and as for my iPhone as long as it's connected by Bluetooth that's all that matters. Have heard phone box is not worth it, even the dealership suggested it's perhaps not an option to have high up the list.

I have a 2TB HDD that I have partitioned into 4 drives each with roughly 250GB .....the car still wont read it?? Any ideas?

I did the same when i first got mine. Had to remove 70gb worth of music and start again.

Reactions: David83S3
I did the same when i first got mine. Had to remove 70gb worth of music and start again.

Thankfully I am just playing around with 4 albums until I get it working ....but I respect your "Just go for it" approach :onthego:

Thankfully I am just playing around with 4 albums until I get it working ....but I respect your "Just go for it" approach :onthego:

Yeah, never even crossed my mind to re-format it. Luckily its USB3 so wasn't as slow as it could've been :)

So .....Still no joy even after formatting as FAT . ...?? I am thinking it might be the HDD as I had problems getting this type of HDD connected to my servers which was something to do with drivers.

About to try a different model HDD .........

Is the usb in the audi compatable with usb3?

No

edit: To clarify, it isn't USB3 in the Audi, but most portable HDD's, if they are USB3, will also be backward compatible with USB2.

I have a Toshiba 1TB ...(Just figured that bit out lol) ......Amazon product

Aha....so the USB 3.0 might be the issue .....as this is USB 3.0 only ....(I think)

What is the part number for the green lighting cable? I have them all but the yellow and now green cable. Audi ABS just wanting to have them all for demos. My white VW one seems to work on a lot of the cars and is the cheapest also.

I'm assuming it must be.

This is the cable i have:

USB cable

Normal looking plug on left has extra connectors to make it USB3 i think as per:

USB3

Not sure if that really helps :)

Yep thats the cable I have .....mine says USB 3.0 down the cable .....

Having 1 more go .......going to partition it 50/50 ....and leave 1 half of it unallocated. See if just 1 partition of 499000mb will read :dejection:

FAIL ...!! Wont read .....I am going to try a different HDD later .....not got one at work that I can format. Don't think work would appreciate we wiping the backup drives so I can use the HDD in my car LOL :jester::jester::jester::jester::jester::jester::jester: