Thermostat opening temp

try this for the climate control codes

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int5.shtml

I don't know whether my cc is faulty, but it pegged out at 75c, bought a new stat because of that, cheapo vcds cable shows the temp to be 90

Ahhhhh 51, I was quite a bit off with 19

So guys mine was completely inaccurate, showed about 30 degrees when the liquid gauge had 70 and then stopped at 75 as newbster mentioned, when the liquid gauge was showing 95.

Any ideas? Also some of the other blocks showed things that didn't seem to be what they were supposed to. Is it possible the numbers are different for our cars, ie 51 isn't the CTS?

CTS replace with genuine/quality one next then
2 x sensors in the same "sensor"

one goes to engine ecu, one goes to instruments

I seem to remember that the list wasn't all that accurate? Try 49. It's pretty accurate, you can watch it rise. I used to see 106 when smashing it. Useful to know the actual temp. Of course oil is the important one, I wouldn't bother with water temp if I had an oil temp gauge, which il sort eventually

CTS replace with genuine/quality one next then
2 x sensors in the same "sensor"

one goes to engine ecu, one goes to instruments
The CTS is genuine and only 6 months old so I don't think that would be the problem. Also the liquid gauge showing the water temp has never had a problem.
I seem to remember that the list wasn't all that accurate? Try 49. It's pretty accurate, you can watch it rise. I used to see 106 when smashing it. Useful to know the actual temp. Of course oil is the important one, I wouldn't bother with water temp if I had an oil temp gauge, which il sort eventually
I'll try 49 cheers. I'm making a pod gauge holder out of fibreglass and will be having AFR, boost, oil pressure and oil temp in three gauges, I would have thought water temp is still important though?

Please explain why water temp doesn't matter if you have oil temp. I would have thought they were related but your engine could be running hot without you being able to tell from the oil temp
Yea it's 49 mate
Awesome hopefully that will work for me then!

Oil is water cooled, it's the hotter and more important of the two imo, and a far more important gauge of when an engine is ready for boost. My focus ST has both gauges, the water can be at 90 for ages and the oil still be stone cold, I'm handy it's there because it makes you think hang on, no, she's not ready yet.
And as long as that gauge didn't move off the 90 then it's fine and in the safe zone.

Oil is water cooled, it's the hotter and more important of the two imo, and a far more important gauge of when an engine is ready for boost. My focus ST has both gauges, the water can be at 90 for ages and the oil still be stone cold, I'm handy it's there because it makes you think hang on, no, she's not ready yet.
And as long as that gauge didn't move off the 90 then it's fine and in the safe zone.

Great thanks for the explanation. I'm not so much worried about the warming up side of things (as I wait an incredible long time before giving my engine any), but when things get too hot. I understand that as long as the gauge is sitting on 90 the car isn't overheating, but it is nice to have some warning as to when it is getting close so you can avoid it overheating (ie water temp gauge).

I'm just paranoid because I'm going to be spending a heap of money on my car and then flogging it around a track, I want to take every precaution I can!