Temp or thermostat

valentn

Reaction score
Car is running low temp 7-5-80 unless its in a traffic jam when it gets to 90. Does it sound like a thermostat or temp sensor, thermo is really cheap so might try that first.

To be honest they are both pretty cheap I paid about £20 for the temp sender and it takes maybe 10mins max to fit whereas the thermostat is also cheap but a bit of a ****** to fit.

Thanks, well I went to Eurocarparts and the bloke said I might need the whole plastic housing on the thermostat, not just the unit, do you know if this is true, also is there a how to fit both of these.

To further help point the likely problem I noticed the car runs at 65 degrees on the open road, its also a non-climate control 1.6 which recently had a waterpump and radiator. But hot air is coming in, so dont think its a airlock or anything like that.

Any advice, maybe good palce to purchase parts really appreciated. Will keep searching too.

Thanks pal, appreciate all the help, read your thread too :) I have bought the termostat this evening and attempting the job tomorrow, done similar stuff before and its one place where my tiny hamster hands come to good use. Also planning a gearbox oil change soon, car had full service 2000miles ago but just doing some bits that are not usually covered then cambelt in a fortnight. Then bodywork at xmas, so keeping busy :)

Glad I could help buddy just passing on the help I received. Good luck with the thermostat I dropped mine off to be done tonight, guy I know only charges 12 quid per hour so for that I will save myself some bruised knuckles.

I at least did the temp sender myself and replaced the brake light switch. Going to tackle the cupholder sticking this weekend and that then just leaves a ******** passenger leccy window and replacing the front Bose speakers.

Haha, theres always something to be done, tbh the car was so cheap i expected it needed a few bits but seems generally ok, even with yemp problems MPG is soooooo much better than my old Volvo :). Let me know how you get on with all your things, ill post progress tomorrow, might try take some pics to put on here too

My 1.8T was also cheap but so far ive spent about £1400 on it :faint: oh well the upside will be that its pretty sorted for a while. My last car was also a Volvo an S70R and although it was superb, man it had a drinking problem.

Good luck with the repairs.

It will be the thermostat. Temp sensor cant make the car warm up when you stop.

Dont bother with an ECP/GSF/Ebay temp sensor, they're hopeless. Either leave it alone or fit a proper Audi one if you want peace of mind.