B7 Coilovers!

Jespy

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some coilovers for my B7 A4 2007. I had JOMs on my old car and they were decent for the cash, but seeing as my new car is over 7x the value of the one that was rocking the JOMs, i thought i'd get some for around £500

Im left with 4 brands/models to choose from:

APs £490

Apex RDX £490

FK Silverline £460

VMaxx £465 (the non xxtreme ones)

I'd really appreciate some opinions/help on this on AS.net!

Thanks
smile.png

the silverline are quite good

as are the RDX

The aps i had on my fabira vrs were lovely. Id look at them again if i was looking at coilovers

Another vote for APs, Very comfortable, better than the S Line and H&R springs I had on my other A4. The rear adjusters are also slightly different as the adjuster cup sits on the top of the spring instead of under it inside the rear arm, makes adjusting so much easier, you don't even have to take the rear wheel off to adjust them.

Are you saying ap more comfortable than OEM ? If so I would be interested in them too. I have s line standard set up currently but didn't want to mod suspension for fear of shattering my spine as standard ride IMO is pretty rough/hard

Interesting, I have standard s line suspension and its ****** shocking for crashy and the like.

To be honest the majority of decent aftermarket stuff will be better than S Line gear, it's probably the worst OEM sporty suspension I've driven. The H&R springs I had were slightly better than S Line but the APs are streets ahead, still kind of sportyish feel but much more refined, I'm also on 20" wheels and fairly low and it still rides great.

I've put this up in three forums im in, and so far, the unanimous vote has been for APs :) Thanks for your help all :D

Can I ask a few questions of you guys about using coilovers or should I really start a new thread?

Thanks...

Can I get the stupid question out the way 1st :jester:. Does the name coilovers refer to the fact spring is over the shock?

Are all coilovers adjustable? And is this the only real advantage over other upgraded shocks and springs?

Do coilovers require me to change top mounts or are they usually included in a kit?

If I use coilovers does the adjustment ( lowering ride height ) simply compress the spring?

If not I would imagine I would stand a chance of bottoming suspension out?

I'm assuming when setting these up you need some sort of special equipment to get things just right ( getting load on each wheel correct )?

Once set do they need regular maintenance to keep them set up correctly or is it once they're set they're set?

Regards
Steve

I would never have even contemplate getting updated suspension before ajax1976 said they could possibly be more comfortable than standard, as I assumed it meant a compromise in comfort and as previously stated I thought the s line standard setup was slightly harsh.

My car has done 90k and as far as I know suspension is all original stuff so I can't imagine I've got long before it breaks. I'm an old man who does 15k a year with about 3k of them on B roads and the rest on motorways. Because it's my daily car and family runabout I really didn't want to stiffen things up. But if it could be more comfortable, cheaper than OEM (not checked but I bet OEM springs and shocks cost more than £500) and better handling then I'm on board :thumbs up:

Can I get the stupid question out the way 1st :jester:. Does the name coilovers refer to the fact spring is over the shock?

Yup, although I suppose technically on our cars the rears aren't coilovers.

Are all coilovers adjustable? And is this the only real advantage over other upgraded shocks and springs?

Yes, all are adjustable for height, can't think of any other benefits over a spring/shock combo. £800+ will get you ones that have adjustable dampening as well.

Do coilovers require me to change top mounts or are they usually included in a kit?

Don't have to, I bought some for my changeover day but didn't use them as mine were in good condition and OEM Audi ones, bought ones weren't OEM.
No, I've never seen them in a kit. Some kits as AP include new shortened bump stops tho.

If I use coilovers does the adjustment ( lowering ride height ) simply compress the spring?

You're basically just winding the lower spring mount up or down to get your required height.

If not I would imagine I would stand a chance of bottoming suspension out?

Not sure but pretty sure you'll be scrapping the underside of the car and arches before actually bottoming out the suspension

I'm assuming when setting these up you need some sort of special equipment to get things just right ( getting load on each wheel correct )?

Not really, I just used a ruler and park on a level surface. Takes ages if you want to get it spot on as you should take it for a short drive in between adjustments to get the car to settle flat again before remeasuring. Obviously when you're at your chosen height you get your alignment etc checked.

Once set do they need regular maintenance to keep them set up correctly or is it once they're set they're set?

You will loose a bit of height in the first week or two just as you would with new springs due to settling. When installing a heavy coat of copper grease on the threads will see you good. The adjusters can seize on the threads but if you copper grease them up and work them a wee bit every 6 months or so you'll be fine. After initial settling has passed that's them set for life, varies between brands but APs have a grub screw on the adjusting collar to fix them in position.

Reactions: Jespy and SDHA4SLine
I would never have even contemplate getting updated suspension before ajax1976 said they could possibly be more comfortable than standard, as I assumed it meant a compromise in comfort and as previously stated I thought the s line standard setup was slightly harsh.

My car has done 90k and as far as I know suspension is all original stuff so I can't imagine I've got long before it breaks. I'm an old man who does 15k a year with about 3k of them on B roads and the rest on motorways. Because it's my daily car and family runabout I really didn't want to stiffen things up. But if it could be more comfortable, cheaper than OEM (not checked but I bet OEM springs and shocks cost more than £500) and better handling then I'm on board :thumbs up:

The problem is definitely with the S Line springs. I was speaking to an Audi technician(mechanic) and he's changing broken springs on an almost daily basis, majority of which go unnoticed until MOT time, my avant had the bottom coils missing on both sides of the rear when I bought it but was almost impossible to see until I had it in bits.. Aftermarket stuff might be a tad stiffer but the springs are much more progressive which brings the comfort instead of the jarring, harshness of stock stuff.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
Ajax1976, thanks for your answers, I do believe you may have converted me...

If fitted jom's on my a4 avant. Ride is more firm but they go so low also bargains at only just over £200

Its all about comfort for me.

And before anyone says it, I prefer the looks & trim of the s lines hence why I didn't get the softer se:lick:

For me it would be the AP or Apex, I'd say the AP offer a better ride quality where as the Apex have a wider lowering range.

Damian @ DPM Performance
ive been told that too :) are they both adjustable on the car? been told by (a potentially un-credible source...) that some arent - and require removing from the car to fit?

On the whole the fronts are all much of the same and are adjustable on the car, you have to jack the car up. Removing the wheel makes life so much easier, I tried doing it with the wheel on and at full lock but you only get less than 1/4 of a turn on the spanner so it takes ages, quicker whipping the wheel off. The rears are where there are differences, some(APs) have the adjuster on the top of the spring so access is relatively simple and can be done with wheel on no probs. You basically hold the outside of the adjuster with the "C" spanner and poke a ratchet with extension up through the spring and use that to turn the inner and adjust the height, I do it with the wheel on and car jacked. Other brands have the adjuster on the bottom under the spring which sits in an awkward recess in the lower rear arm making it a lot harder to adjust, I don't have any experience of these but by looking at the lower rear arm I can imagine they'd be a bitch to adjust.

I think Jespys source is may be referring to some of the more expensive dampening adjustable ones tho, sometimes the compression or rebound adjusters sit in not very accessible places such as right under the top mount so the unit has to be removed or partially dismantled to adjust those settings.

On the whole the fronts are all much of the same and are adjustable on the car, you have to jack the car up. Removing the wheel makes life so much easier, I tried doing it with the wheel on and at full lock but you only get less than 1/4 of a turn on the spanner so it takes ages, quicker whipping the wheel off. The rears are where there are differences, some(APs) have the adjuster on the top of the spring so access is relatively simple and can be done with wheel on no probs. You basically hold the outside of the adjuster with the "C" spanner and poke a ratchet with extension up through the spring and use that to turn the inner and adjust the height, I do it with the wheel on and car jacked. Other brands have the adjuster on the bottom under the spring which sits in an awkward recess in the lower rear arm making it a lot harder to adjust, I don't have any experience of these but by looking at the lower rear arm I can imagine they'd be a bitch to adjust.

I think Jespys source is may be referring to some of the more expensive dampening adjustable ones tho, sometimes the compression or rebound adjusters sit in not very accessible places such as right under the top mount so the unit has to be removed or partially dismantled to adjust those settings.
ah that very well may be the case mate. can always rely on you! haha no pressure with that ;) tbh, i have a low profile trolley jack and stands, so wheels off isnt too much of an issue! I was a little scared id have to get it ramped every time i wanted to adjust!

I've been searching for the best coilovers at mid-range prices for about 6 months now.

And as DPM has said, AP have more comfort but less lows. Whereas APEX have the ability to go lower.

AP coilovers can be height changed without taking wheels off, APEX needs the whole rear unit out to change height.

Both will be more comfortable than S-Line suspension!

Been looking at the AP's on various websites can any recommend a particular model number/code of AP's for around the £500 -£600 mark? Its just that there seems to be a bewildering amount of choice in AP's and its all new to me, not sure which to go for.

As mentioned above, not that bothered about lowering ride height (though I imagine that seems as the option is there...:devilish:) but handling improvement and more importantly comfort (and normal driving speeds b roads etc) is my main aim.

For a 2006 S-Line 2.0TDI (170hp) avant

Regards
Steve

DPM,

Just looked on your site maybe I'm just confused as it seems only one option for AP on my car your Part Number: GF10-030, is that correct?

Regards
Steve

i had ap's for nearrly 12 month good ride on them,
selling them if intrested hahaa