Start stop has a mind of its own!

m0sbf

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the start stop feature has a maximum 'stopped' duration as my car re-starts itself automatically all by itself without depressing the clutch after a minute of so of bring stopped. I will time it sometime. It's almost uncanny sometimes it does it right when the lights change! My kids think it has a 'lights going green' sensor lol...

there are also many other times when start stop doesn't stolen the engine. Ones I have found include right after the car is started up and then it seems to take a while for the start stop to actually work.

Nice feature, but somewhat bizarre in its operation!

Yes that's normal that the car starts on it's own with pressing clutch down, well mine does it aswell ! It all goes off how much power the car is using with it on battery, once I starts using a certain amount the car will restart, the less you have on in the car such as - AC, heated seas, heated mirrors etc! The longer the stop start stays activated. :) hope this helps

Yes that's normal that the car starts on it's own with pressing clutch down, well mine does it aswell ! It all goes off how much power the car is using with it on battery, once I starts using a certain amount the car will restart, the less you have on in the car such as - AC, heated seas, heated mirrors etc! The longer the stop start stays activated. :) hope this helps

But it re-starts without me pressing the clutch. Is that due to battery load? I think it was raining so I may have had the headlights and wipers running. I was not expecting it to start without depressing the clutch!
Thanks for any clarification....

It will also restart if the cabin temp gets too low and it needs the engine to warm the heater. Of course the opposite is true in hot weather...

There are loads of factors that decide - power usage, battery status, temperature of engine, probably oil temp, DPF regen for diesels - could be anything!

Yeah it is ! It will automatically start on it's own as cemerson said also it will decide when it needs to restart if it does . Your car is perfectly normal mate, it surprised me when it was first dud it too

Is stop start an option you can turn off permanently, or is it always on every time you start the car and then you have to disable it with a switch?

I drove S5 & S3 with it recently and it seemed similarly inconsistent, I just wondered if I disliked it enough if it can be disabled?

Yeah it is ! It will automatically start on it's own as cemerson said also it will decide when it needs to restart if it does . Your car is perfectly normal mate, it surprised me when it was first dud it too

That's a relief. Was very surprised when it re-started itself. I suspect it was probably due to battery load as the Hester fan was on, the wipers and the headlights. Makes sense now; thanks for clarifying. When it first did it we all jumped!!

Yeah probably mate, you can expect it to happen more in the without worrying haha :)

Is stop start an option you can turn off permanently, or is it always on every time you start the car and then you have to disable it with a switch?

I drove S5 & S3 with it recently and it seemed similarly inconsistent, I just wondered if I disliked it enough if it can be disabled?

There is a switch which has a circle icon around a capital A, near the AC controls which turns start stop off

Reactions: warren_S5
You do have to turn this off everytime you start the car though.. You can turn it off permanently through VCDS though! Just need it coded in which other lads know more about !

Reactions: warren_S5