Newbie needs help

bigdave242

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi all I'm reasonably new to audi and to be honest don't know why I've never driven one before :) had my a4 b5 1.8t Quattro for just over a year AJL engine code and my oil pump failed now I need a new cylinder head and can't find one with same engine code :-( so just wondered if Anyone on here could tell me if I can use another I've been told that there might be so just thought I'd ask on here

thanks in advance for any help

I await correction but see no reason why you can't use any one of the 1.8T heads. iirc the ports on the AEB head are larger.

How comes it needs replacement as they tend to last well.

Reactions: bigdave242
There's a very loud knockin noise comin from the top end the mechanic that took a look said it's cause the oil pump failed the head wasn't getting any oil and it's goosed the cam shafts and part of the head. could there be another reason for the noise from the top end

Would it make the loud knockin noise with the blocked cam chain tensioner I did get told that it was only making the noise due to lack of oil getting to the tensioner but the mechanic that had a look at it (without stripping it) said it needs a new head as he's fixed 3 or 4 with the same problem could this just be him trying to get more money

It's quite common for the oil to sludge up and block the oil pump pick up. I've had this before on my a3 1.8t.. If the cams have run dry and "picked up" on the head I'm afraid it's time for a new head... Either AJL or AEB... Both are large port heads.. I would buy a new cam chain and tensioner for the replacement head definitely along with new oil pump etc...
First thing I did when buying my A4 was put a new oil pump on it..

Audi had a recall on these also iirc... You had to take the centre cam cap off and check for scoring and signs I pickup. An if necessary it would get a new oil pump and brand new head...

Thanks very much Matt I'll replace the head as well then been searching for an AJL head and seems to be mission impossible lol are the AEB heads any easier to find

The aeb heads are a bit easier to find.. If you get a second hand one if recommend sending it to get pressure tested and checked at a head shop.. Won't probably cost too much but it's better to be safe than do the job twice

K03 was only turbo ever fitted to A4, same unit as on an 150 bhp AEB engined car. Passats, A6's and A4's came with that designation.

Turbo is normally first thing to starve of oil, then the head, I assume you had the oil can / light showing up as soon as you got past 1500 rpm?

Not necessarily.. Only half of the time I've worked on cars with these problems the turbo is unserviceable..

Not necessarily.. Only half of the time I've worked on cars with these problems the turbo is unserviceable..
That's a higher % of serviceable turbos that I have seen. Even if they don't fail immediately they tend to go down quite quickly after due to the accelerated wear a 20k spinning shaft without lubrication v bronze bushes

No was on the motorway doin just over 60 the light came on two seconds later a very loud knockin noise started so I pulled over and stopped and got the car recovered as soon as I stopped the car cut out only time it was started after that was for the mechanic to hear it

might be lucky.. but catastrophic head failure is unusual in this few secs,

Fingers and toes crossed for you.

AEB heads are cheap enough now, around 100 notes I'd imagine. Once upon a time they fetched a premium due to them being large port, but most people requiring them have acquired them and demand has dropped

Sounds like the oil pump has failed instead of the pickup pipe blocking up..

That's what I had thought Matt had read about the pick up pipe problems but the only difference was my light hadn't been flashin on and off or been on for a while car was runnin gray up until this happened had it for about a year now and never had any problems with it so guess there had to be something go wrong lol

avoid febi pumps, get kobleschmidt as the premium OEM brand or topran as a budget one. Febi seem to be having some issues currently causing a few people i know to file claims for failure.GULP

Ah my bad... Yeah I've used topran pumps with no issues ... 75k later and no issues. As Byron said.. Avoid febi... I would buy genuine I possible

I've already got the pump had read about the problems with the Febi ones when I was searching for the problem with the oil pump so bought the torpan one

AEB heads dont have EGR. just look for a 1997 - 2001 ish aeb head fitted to the afore mentioned cars and you'll be golden

Whereas the topic will not explain anything precisely, I will use it for my question, as I am new with Audi petrols too.
Will complete exhaust fit on my AJL taken from AWT? If not any parts of the exhaust would fit? Do the both cars have to be Quattro's as well? What is price range for a used exhaust for these engines?
Thank you for your help. :)

Any 1.8T cat will fit altough some have downstream oxy sensor port so will need a bung in there, as for down pipe its specific to the B5 TQS and the US AEB quattro, exhaust sytem is specific to the B5 altough it is possible to mod the centre pipe of the S4/RS4 system to fit the TQS !!