Newbey buying advice: Easiest Retrofit(s)?

LukeyC

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a A3 170 Quattro Sportback (either sport or s-line) in the coming months, but can't find the "perfect" spec car out there, so I'm going to have to seek the closest example and then retrofit the rest.

I've taken a look around the forum and read some of the guides, but I'd be really grateful if you would help me put prioritise the following features in order of simplicity to retrofit.

The spec I'm looking for (in no particular order) is:
Front arm rest
Full leather heated seats
FBMFSW
Colour DIS
RNS-E Navigation thing
Folding Mirrors
Cruise Control
Xenons
Bluetooth connectivitity

Also, if I choose to retrofit the RNS-E, are there other aftermarket head units that connect to the FBMFSW/DIS?

I'm not buying for a few months but want to get an idea of what I should look for so I can watch the market. Budget is £9k-£13k, but as I'm not in a rush to buy I will bide my time and wait.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a A3 170 Quattro Sportback (either sport or s-line) in the coming months, but can't find the "perfect" spec car out there, so I'm going to have to seek the closest example and then retrofit the rest.

I've taken a look around the forum and read some of the guides, but I'd be really grateful if you would help me put prioritise the following features in order of simplicity to retrofit.

The spec I'm looking for (in no particular order) is:
Front arm rest
Full leather heated seats
FBMFSW
Colour DIS
RNS-E Navigation thing
Folding Mirrors
Cruise Control
Xenons
Bluetooth connectivitity

Also, if I choose to retrofit the RNS-E, are there other aftermarket head units that connect to the FBMFSW/DIS?

I'm not buying for a few months but want to get an idea of what I should look for so I can watch the market. Budget is £9k-£13k, but as I'm not in a rush to buy I will bide my time and wait.

Hi m8 welcome to the forum :)
Based on the features u want I'd advise u to go for a black edition one as they have front arm rest, fbmfsw, colour dis, xenons as standard :)
The s line comes with arm rest, colour dis as standard.
Keep an eye out for a car that has the comfort pack as this has auto lights and wipers, cruise control and rear parking sensors.
Full leather was an option. U could source a set from fleabay if need be .
Fbmfsw can be retrofitted but will need the airbag as well.
RNSE can be retrofitted and really makes the dash look complete. I wouldn't bother with aftermarket but that's up to u.
Folding mirrors can be retrofitted if they don't have them but be warned probably £600 quid plus.
Cruise control can be retrofitted cheap enough. About 100 quid for the kit and ul need to get it coded.
Xenons look great, retrofit OEM audi ones will cost u a bit but Deffo worth it.
Bluetooth is an option and only came as standard on 2011 cars. Can be retrofitted tho.

Ul get a 2009/2010 BE 170 Quattro for 12 grand ish :)

Reactions: LukeyC and batch
Thanks RobbieWebs - the info about the comfort pack / black edition was exactly the sort of owner insight I was looking for, I really appreciate your help.

Looking through the various build threads & ebay, it looks like full leather should go as a pretty low priority, as it doesn't look that expensive or difficult to swap, whereas the Xenons / colour DIS does. Cruise / Navigation look simple enough, and the FBMFSW shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as I buy the right module / slip ring / airbag.

Can I just check one minor point - you said that only 2011 MY cars have bluetooth as standard - do you mean 2011 onwards, or is it specifically just the 2011 MY cars? Adding a BT as a retrofit doesn't seem to difficult either?

To summarise, I see the list (in order of importance the car must already have fitted) as:

Xenons
Colour DIS
MFSW (if it already has the "standard" MFSW, the FB version should be easier to attach - right?)
Armrest
Folding Mirrors

and then:
Nav / Cruise / BT (similar diffculty / importance)
Full Leather

On another note - If the car has non-heated seats (cloth or leather), will it have the wiring/connector in place ready to "accept" a heated leather seat, or will I have to start pulling up carpet etc? I'll obviously need to buy the correct ventilation control with the heated seat switches too, and presumably need some coding work too?

I can see this getting expensive..! :yes:

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Oh, I also want the rear LEDs, which I understand come in four parts, and need some sort of adapter for the wiring?

Basically, I want to build myself a beastly diesel weapon with pretty much every toy available. We'll come on to performance upgrades once I've sorted the toys out! I currently have a 13 year old mk1 focus 2.0 Ghia, so the standard 170 Quattro is already over 1.5 seconds quicker to 60 and will no doubt feel very rapid indeed!

As advised go for a black edition, it has most of the stuff you're looking for and the rest can be retrofitted pretty easily apart from the folding mirrors, that sounds expensive lol.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Thanks Sayam.
I live on quite a narrow street so folding mirrors is something I'd use daily, and dont mind paying a bit for.

I'll be hanging onto it for the foreseeable future, probably 7+ years so don't mind spending a little on mods to get the spec I want.

All your help has been great - back to Autotrader!

Can I just check one minor point - you said that only 2011 MY cars have bluetooth as standard - do you mean 2011 onwards, or is it specifically just the 2011 MY cars? Adding a BT as a retrofit doesn't seem to difficult either?

Yes that's correct my car is a MY 11 but a 2010 60 plate and it didn't have Bluetooth as standard, only comes from cars made 2011 onwards.
It isn't that expensive to retrofit and probably get the module for 100 quid +/-. The wiring and mike are cheap enough. Good guide on here for the fitting as well :)

To summarise, I see the list (in order of importance the car must already have fitted) as:

Xenons
Colour DIS
MFSW (if it already has the "standard" MFSW, the FB version should be easier to attach - right?)
Armrest
Folding Mirrors

The black edition has all of these and LED rear lights if u get a newer car.
Going to save a lot of cash in the long run if u get one as they do have a great spec :)
Plus u get Bose speakers/ amp as well :)

and then:
Nav / Cruise / BT (similar diffculty / importance)
Full Leather

On another note - If the car has non-heated seats (cloth or leather), will it have the wiring/connector in place ready to "accept" a heated leather seat, or will I have to start pulling up carpet etc? I'll obviously need to buy the correct ventilation control with the heated seat switches too, and presumably need some coding work too?

Not sure on this m8 but I know others have fitted seats from other cars that have heated seats and wired them.

I can see this getting expensive..! :yes:

And finally yes it's an expensive thing reading the info on this forum, gives u lots of ideas :)
Great bunch of folk on here that have done just about anything and are willing to help advise.
With all the retrofits ur planning it might be worth ur while investing in vcds to code everything.
NHN is the man on here for retrofits and can supply u with Vcds.

Let us know how u get on :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
Thanks again Robbie, much appreciated.

Right so a 170 quattro sportback Black edition it is then!

I may go quiet for a bit as I'm not planning on making a purchase for a few months, I want to hold out and get a nice low mileage example as close to "top" spec as possible.

Thanks to everyone for their input - Merry Christmas one and all.

Welcome to the site Luke.

For sure get xenons on the car at bare minimum, if anything else is missing from the spec you want, we are able to supply/fit any you need :)

Thanks Robbie :)