Had to be me :(

Roblever13

Reaction score
Well I'm one of those people who never posts but views this forum quite a bit whilst I was waiting for the arrival of my A3.

I've had the car about 2 weeks and already managed to hit a very small wall after never having a bump in my life with previous cars. It's completely wrote of my front bumper but no other damage seems done. Wondering if anyone knows how much it is for a new front bumper and whether I should do this privately or go through Audi.

Cheers

I wouldn't; general view of previous threads seemed to be that parts of this type on eBay have probably come from cars stolen and then stripped for spares.

The main plastic bumper cover in primer will be just over the £300 mark from a dealer, plus any other items than may have been damaged. Do you have no claims bonus protection on your insurance and what excess do you have. It may be worth considering making a claim.

Excess is around £800 and don't really want to make a claim as I'd like to keep my no claims bonus as I'm only 19 and every little bit helps when It comes to insurance for me

I feel your pain, I done this on Thursday View attachment 24668

That's approx £3000 worth of work so compare that to yours! Insurance job for me

New black edition grill, new headlight, new bumper, black edition splitter, washer covers both broken and parking sensors wrecked. The bonnet has been pushed over as well with damage albeit minimal to both wings.

Had it for not even 5 weeks and I done that!

I have nothing much to add to this thread other than I feel very sorry for both of you and hope you get your troubles sorted soon.

Damn... I'm really sorry, I hope you get it sorted quickly & in a relatively inexpensive way..

Rob, have you had an independent coach worker look at it? The last thing you want at 19 is a claim against you.

Threads like this make me want to go and wrap my car in as much bubble wrap as possible!! Hope both of you get them fixed without breaking the bank!

Reactions: JohnM100
Nice to see someone the same age as me having an A3, really sorry to hear about your car, mines not due to be delivered till march and this is the one thing that makes me void my bowels (that is crashing/scraping/ignorant twats that open doors wide and fast and insurance) is this your 2nd car rob?

We have had bad experiences using 'cheap' bodyshops . Always use Audi vw one now who are brilliant!

Someone stopped on a clear roundabout for some reason

Thanks for the help guys, just got back from the body shop and he suggested he could fix it rather than get a whole new bumper which I am more than happy about as he quoted me £300 rather than in the thousands. Trusting my grandad now that he can do a good job but he has had his Mercedes fix there in the past so fingers crossed. Will be more careful next time

That's a very good price for repair mate... You got away lightly... Feel sorry for ye both... I no what it's like... I wrote off my second car 6 weeks ago... Complete right off... Not my fault tho as car pulled out in front of me...

First few months are critical when driving a new car... new cars seem to attract trouble like magnets. I feel sorry for you guys but at the same time I have done worse than any of you as I spun my brand new 370z and smashed it to pieces (total wreck)... after just 3 weeks of ownership. The accident was due to water flooding the dual carriageway, I aquaplanned.

Someone stopped on a clear roundabout for some reason

A lot of silly people hesitate at clear roundabout. Were you too close, going too fast or not concentrating. Something to be aware of in the future as you build up you driving experience.

I had a car go into the back of an earlier Audi when I was spotted at traffic lights in Germany. The young lady driving was busy talking to her passenger until it was too late and went in to the back of me at about 40mph. The German police issued her with an on-the-spot fine for driving without due care and attention. My car was a right-off and never came back from Germany.

You say you do not want to make a claim so that you do not loose your NCB, but what damage was done to the car you hit. Will they be making a claim. If so you will loose your NCB anyway because it will still be classed as a claim against your insurance. Obviously your excess is high so that would also come into it as well. If you can get it done for less then you will not have to pay any excess.

Last edited:
I've had to claim, too much damage involved, £200 excess and ncb protection helped with the decision making. Claim not made too much of a difference thankfully when running through new quotes.
The lady started moving, I looked right to make sure no cars where coming and expected her to keep moving. My fault as I went into her, it's only a car at the end of the day and no injuries is the most important thing

Glad £300 was all it took to get your bumper sorted! That's the best option to take :)

If making a claim I would be insistent on a proper Audi repair using Audi paint and products . This will protect Audi warranty. Paint is very expensive and many non Audi bodyshops do not use the best products, I have learned this over several years.

I've had to claim, too much damage involved, £200 excess and ncb protection helped with the decision making. Claim not made too much of a difference thankfully when running through new quotes.
The lady started moving, I looked right to make sure no cars where coming and expected her to keep moving. My fault as I went into her, it's only a car at the end of the day and no injuries is the most important thing

Much damage to the other car.

Certainly building up a NCB and then being able to protect it makes the decision easier as does a low or no excess. For the past two years I have had a higher excess but also has Excess Protection Insurance which worked out cheaper than than having a lower excess. I have a £375 excess and £750 of excess insurance so I could make two claims and still pay no excess. The £750 excess cover cost me £49.00.

If making a claim I would be insistent on a proper Audi repair using Audi paint and products . This will protect Audi warranty. Paint is very expensive and many non Audi bodyshops do not use the best products, I have learned this over several years.

Same here. There is a body shop not far from me which used to belong to the Group that owns most of the VAG dealers in my area. They sold it a couple of years ago to a body shop group and it is still Audi Approved. No matter where my insurance company tried to get me to take my Audi it would only go to an Audi Approved body shop.

The body shop my car is in is Audi Approved, first question I asked and I'm hard to impress so the standard will need to be correct before I accept it back.
Rear bumper damage to the other car, seems boot etc got away without a mark.
Sounds like you insured with a Swinton group company as the excess protector is something they sell

So got my car back yesterday after 3 days at the body shop. In total cost £400 as more repair was needed inside the bumper and a new sidelight but more than happy as it has been repaired and now looks identical as it did before and nice and new again. Could of been alot worse and I think this time I've been lucky, going to be a lot more careful next time :banghead:

Glad to hear that you are sorted.. Bodyshops generally charge about £40 an hour +VAT And materials so that doesn't sound too bad.

Has anyone heard of the dent repair that audi offer? Unlimited claims it you get a small dent or stone chip etc? I think it's an outside company that visit you at home