Would you go from MINI JCW to S3 sedan

yep my mind is made up definitely going for sedan s3. A bmw dealer is trying to sway me to look at a bmw 328i msport coupe but it prettly lowly specd so I don't know if that's my thing.

If you have a bond with the Mini, you might find that lacking with the S3.
Yes, straight line speed is very good, clinically finished with good looks.
However, it's a soulless lump of metal, which I very much doubt will install anywhere near the same kind of bond with that you have with the Mini, nor is it much "fun" to drive. I've had cars with a huge chunk less power that I've enjoyed driving much more than I do the S3.

You might miss the sense of occasion you currently have with the Mini, which may lead you to hankering after something else.
I think you are comfortable with that, and hope you make the right choice.

I've recently gone from a JCW hatch to an S3 S-tronic (albeit with a short spell in a Mk1 TT in between).

I've just picked up my S3, so probably still in the honeymoon period, but I will try to be as objective as possible, they are very different cars so quite hard to compare.

My JCW was pretty well specified, I had the dynamico recaro's, harmon kardon, nav, mini connected etc, pretty much every option ticked ..

I love the way it looked, and it always gave me a smile when I saw it parked up. The exhaust pops and bangs are addictive, and I think that they've judged sport mode well, there's a noticeable difference in throttle response in sport (something I'm not quite feeling in the S3 yet with all the different modes). It's a torquey wee motor, and in sport mode felt very responsive although I think it felt a bit breathless higher up the rev range. It felt quicker than it was in reality I think. I had sports suspension too, but I felt this was a bit hard for our roads and you would get bounced around a bit too much. Interior quality was fine, some of the plastics felt a bit cheap and I wasn't keen on the wee joystick. Loved the alcantara seats and steering wheel. It's basically a wee go kart, epic fun when you're in the mood, but not so good when you're in a 'I just want to relax' and get there mood.

To try and compare it to the S3, well it's bigger that's for sure. It feels a step up in quality, from the interior to the way it insulates you a bit from noise/vibration/harshness. I've gone S-tronic, so can't compare gearchanges, but loving the S-tronic so far. I don't miss the pops and bangs from the Mini, as the exhaust burp more than makes up for it, and the S3 has a really nice brrr as you rev it out. With almost 300 bhp/300 lb/ft it feels a much stonger (and smoother) engine and feel happier revving out to the redline. I think the S-tronic helps here as you're not worried about banging it off the limiter.

For me, I think the S3 can be 2 cars. Very relaxing around town with the S-tronic left to do it's thing, and also long distance where it's quiet and does the motorway cruise in comfort. When you want a blast though, get it set to dynamic, move the gearlever across to manual mode it really comes alive, it's pretty epic.

Will you have more fun in the Mini? Hmmm, probably, it's just such a cool wee car and the Audi will not give you that go cart feel. You do feel a bit more removed in the Audi (but will likely be far quicker).

If you had to choose one car, on a sunny day for a wee B-road wiggle, and you're not caring about how quick you're going then the Mini would have the edge for fun.

However I don't think the S3 would be far behind, and for all other times it's the easier car to live with.

Not sure that's helped you much, I know how JCW's can get under your skin.

Reactions: Pulp84 and veeeight
wow great response. good thing is where I live we don't have B roads. I do get what you are saying though. the jcw is the best car for certain situations but its not the car for every occasion.

yup. I am pretty sure I am going with the s3 sedan. Still waiting on pricing from my dealer. We only have one where I live and well the sedan has not arrived as yet. we do have the sportback s3 though. So fingers crossed the sedan isn't too much more expensive here.

Ok guys.. gave some details in another thread that the sedan pricing is not going to be available here for another 4 months with no guarantee of delivery which could take another 8 months. I went back and test drove the SB properly and here are my observations:

1. I am not going to miss the manual gearbox in the JCW. That s-tronic is super sweet and downshifts when I want. The noise on upshifts is also a big plus. I love the manual mode when i want and the auto mode when in serious traffic. without having driven a manual S3, i can only say that this DCT is the perfect mate for this engine.

2. I know some guys have chimed in here on the sedan vs sportback decision. I dont have a s3 sedan to compare to. There were many a3 sedans. All i would have seen are s3 sedans on the net. I really like the sportback. I still find it looks sportier with its hunckered down stance and I really like the detailing on the sides of the front bumper. The sedan is a lot more grown up. Maybe I am not ready to grow up. And oh, the Misano red is a must see in real life and in the sun especially.

3. When i jumped back into the JCW after the test drive, I knew right away I was making the right decision. The s3 is an all rounder, sufficiently comfortable and sporty at the press of a throttle and flick of a paddle. Right away, my JCW felt extra rigid. What i realise is that the JCW is a car to be enjoyed when you are being a total hoon. Thats where it shines the most for me which for me given the island I live in, is very limited.

So i have made up my mind, going to place an order for Missano Red Sport Back S-Tronic sometime next week.

Reactions: TheFiftheElement and Si_S3
Ok guys.. gave some details in another thread that the sedan pricing is not going to be available here for another 4 months with no guarantee of delivery which could take another 8 months. I went back and test drove the SB properly and here are my observations:

1. I am not going to miss the manual gearbox in the JCW. That s-tronic is super sweet and downshifts when I want. The noise on upshifts is also a big plus. I love the manual mode when i want and the auto mode when in serious traffic. without having driven a manual S3, i can only say that this DCT is the perfect mate for this engine.

2. I know some guys have chimed in here on the sedan vs sportback decision. I dont have a s3 sedan to compare to. There were many a3 sedans. All i would have seen are s3 sedans on the net. I really like the sportback. I still find it looks sportier with its hunckered down stance and I really like the detailing on the sides of the front bumper. The sedan is a lot more grown up. Maybe I am not ready to grow up. And oh, the Misano red is a must see in real life and in the sun especially.

3. When i jumped back into the JCW after the test drive, I knew right away I was making the right decision. The s3 is an all rounder, sufficiently comfortable and sporty at the press of a throttle and flick of a paddle. Right away, my JCW felt extra rigid. What i realise is that the JCW is a car to be enjoyed when you are being a total hoon. Thats where it shines the most for me which for me given the island I live in, is very limited.

So i have made up my mind, going to place an order for Missano Red Sport Back S-Tronic sometime next week.

Do it tomorrow, before you change your mind! Good choice by the way... :)

Great news, seems like a good choice. Good colour too.

The S3 seems to have much more road presence than I ever gave it credit for. My JCW MINI seemed to attract young girls (not necessarily a bad thing LOL). Most other people however just thought it was another MINI.

With the S3 I've had people stop me in car parks, petrol stations and even outside my house (people walking their dogs and such) - asking all sorts of questions and giving it a LOT of love. People who stop me seem well informed and know about the M 135i too and often make the comparison. People know its a very quick car.

I do feel bad for even contemplating criticising my S3 in any way sometimes as Ive met many people in only two months of ownership who would literally love to own a car like this and would happily accept it for some very minor dynamic issues.

I drove mine through Swindon today with the window open and everything in dynamic. It was super loud - proper rifle crack noises echoing off buildings. Only a tiny bit of booting as only town driving will allow but it did feel great.

Drove it home from work and it was flawless. Comfy, super easy overtaking and 33 mpg. As a package it really is very good. My JCW could only dream of such things.

Messi_alli.....you will love it. Get signing an order form! :whip:

The S3 seems to have much more road presence than I ever gave it credit for. My JCW MINI seemed to attract young girls (not necessarily a bad thing LOL). Most other people however just thought it was another MINI.
SO funny you would say that.. just today on the test drive.. so many mercedes and bmw drivers were oogling to see the S3 sportback ( only one on the rd here) and we do have tonnes of Mercs and BMWs here. To this day, the only people that look at my JCW are mini lovers. People really dont understand what the JCW means.. they really do see it as just a nice looking Mini.

I mean.. i get what people are saying that this car isnt as involving. I get it.. it never lives on the edge.. to me.. thats no issues bc i am no professional driver ( I do no tracking nor drag racing). I am all for a car that makes an average driver look like a great driver.

Pulp 84.. do you have a sportback or saloon?

Reactions: Pulp84
SO funny you would say that.. just today on the test drive.. so many mercedes and bmw drivers were oogling to see the S3 sportback ( only one on the rd here) and we do have tonnes of Mercs and BMWs here. To this day, the only people that look at my JCW are mini lovers. People really dont understand what the JCW means.. they really do see it as just a nice looking Mini.

I mean.. i get what people are saying that this car isnt as involving. I get it.. it never lives on the edge.. to me.. thats no issues bc i am no professional driver ( I do no tracking nor drag racing). I am all for a car that makes an average driver look like a great driver.

Pulp 84.. do you have a sportback or saloon?

Sportback - I'd have loved the Saloon too but when I ordered mine at the start of the year my dealer only had build allocations in June. I went for the Sportback as the deal was better too. Not regretted it.

I guess what people are saying (me included) is that there is a layer of interaction that a JCW gives you that the S3 won't.

In the JCW, you're basically in a wee go cart, it skips and bumps along, you can feel the steering wheel tug left and right when the differential tries to keep you going where you want to go. It's noisy (compared to the S3), not so much exhaust noise more road noise. You feel as though you're driving it, and at lower speeds it feels as though you're going quickly as you have that sensation of speed.

The S3 doesn't skip and bump, it doesn't really tug left and right when you floor it. It's quieter and you're sitting doing 80-90 leptons along roads without realising it. I drive a lot of B roads and although I like to drive quickly, I like to drive safely, so that final 10% folk are moaning about (doesn't oversteer, feels nose led etc) I'm not really going near.

What I like about the S3 is, I had a 40 mile run out to drop my daughter off somewhere outside Aberdeen on Wednesday, first stage was through town and I was in the mood to drive - so I had the drive select in Auto but manual S-tronic so I could use the paddles.

It's more fun to let the engine extend itself a wee bit, as left in Auto I find it's up into 5th about 28 mph. Once on to the B-roads though, foot down, exhaust barping away :yahoo: really good fun. You can't help but smile when you rev it out in 2nd gear and blam into 3rd. Once back in town, switch it into efficiency and auto and let the car ease through the busy town traffic :sly:

It's (sort of) 2 cars in 1. So easy and quiet to drive through town with S-tronic, hill hold, lovely interior, good stereo but turn the radio off, set it to dynamic, into manual gear change mode and it's a wee road rocket.

My Dad would say it's a proper grown up car, not sure that's a good thing, but I think I know what he means ..

couldn't say it better myself. When I jumped back into my JCW the JCW recaros felt so much harder than the super sport seats in the audi. Man I cant wait.