would I be mad

stewarta13wsb

Reaction score
Website
www.stewarta13wsb.plus.com
2.0Tdi DSG, 17" alloys, CD changer, Cruise, Leather, Heated Seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Lumbar. Bought July 05 & only 6696 miles on the clock, BUT...
wasn't my spec at the time (just close) I took it because I didn't want to wait 3 months.
My own spec with other extras like interior light pack, light & rain sensor pack, Xenon Plus, Bose and nicer alloys is £25,500 on the Audi Configure thingy.
My question is, do you think I would be mad to change so soon, and what do you think I'd get for mine + discount on the new one?

I think your mad, just buy some nicer alloys and live with it for a while or lose loads of cash

You're gonna waste probably £5-£7k just to get your wipers to come on automatically? You are definately mad!

No don't do it-Keep it!
Thats a lovely Spec as it is!
Only thing I would miss from that is the Xenons, but you could go aftermarket with them?

I will post this on here as well as on tyresmoke....

You can fit the interior lights for around £10, you can add some RS4 style alloys for about £800, and you can get CraigyB to install you the DVD Nav+ for a grand.

So you can transform your car for about £1800.

Your car is worth around £15-16k selling it privately or £13-14k trade in, I would just buy the bits to make it feel fresh again.

AndyMac said:
You're gonna waste probably £5-£7k just to get your wipers to come on automatically? You are definately mad!

That's it, keep the common sense advice coming :)

I should point out (to give the pretence of some sanity here) it would be a totally different car (not a Sportback this time) different colour and different spec, but I take your point!

I think you are the one who got's to be happy with the car day in day out... If you can afford to go make a loss in the financial part but then be happy, why not?

Sucks to have to wait 3 months (i'm still waiting on my car - 14th week now!) but hey at least you'd be getting the car exactly as you wished 4, and that is a great feeling i imagine.

you'd def not be completly mad yet def. slighty off the "sane-lane". :whistle2:

Agree with all the other posts - your car has an excellent spec as it is and you'd lose a shedload of cash if you did try to part exchange it.

As for retrofitting, I've added a set of 17" Star alloys (for looks!) and a rear sunblind (I'm gonna be a Dad for the first time in a couple of weeks, so it'll be ideal for the baby) to my SE. It's a great way of getting the spec you originally wanted more cheaply. For example, those Star alloys were a £750 option new - but after I'd sold my 16s it cost £130 to upgrade, and the sunblind was just £26 whereas Audi wanted around £80 for it on the option list. Both upgrades were from parts bought on eBay.

And instead of splashing out on Xenons, a pair of HIDs would do the trick for a fraction of the cost.

spend around 1k-1.5k new wheels hid (xenon) lights n maybe a few nice skirts? car looks luvly as it is tho :thumbsup:

gizze said:
I
You can fit the interior lights for around £10

That would get you the ambient LEDS in the overhead light unit.

If you order a car with the interiour light pack you als get ambient light above the rear seats (in a sportback anyway), footwell lights, lights in the doors and LEDS behind the door opening handles. All very nice!

marriedblonde said:
My opinion is if you want a change and can afford it go for it. The spec you have is nice but it's not the spec you want!

J.

Oh I know, I know... but you're not supposed to be encouraging me!

You're supposed to say sensible stuff like "AndyMac - You're gonna waste probably £5-£7k just to get your wipers to come on automatically? You are definately mad! "

But I do fancy my own spec - and it would need to be a keeper... for years, to make up :)

LOL....Sorry :)

I'm sure I have talked about keepers in the past, actually the last god only knows how many new cars I have ordered have all been keepers... Some of them have lasted for 12 months.

Keep it, the rain sensing wipers aren't worth 5k not if they are the same ones VW fit.

stewarta13wsb said:
Oh I know, I know... but you're not supposed to be encouraging me!

You're supposed to say sensible stuff like "AndyMac - You're gonna waste probably £5-£7k just to get your wipers to come on automatically? You are definately mad! "

But I do fancy my own spec - and it would need to be a keeper... for years, to make up :)

Well I usually swap my cars every 6 months, but I buy them 6 months old too, if you are going to swap and can afford to loose £7k then do it, but if that is the case do yourself a favour and get the 2.0T, you can obviously afford to run it and it is a much better car than the tdi.
If you are going to change then you might as well get something better too, and this time buy one that is 6 months old, as I have a feeling you will be bored again in 6 months time.
Let someone else loose the 25% that a 6 month old car looses. ;)

Why not order an S3, will have far better residuals and will be in a different league to the tdi FWD you have now?

Nah, keep it. Once you've had the "new" car with all the extras you wanted for a few months, you'll realise that there are a few other extras that you now want too. It's a never ending spiral. I'm never happy for long, I always want what I haven't got.

:shrug:

Write it off and claim on the insurance.:no:

Then hey presto, new :yellowrs4:

But really, you have a stunning car already, enjoy it. Or swop for mine.:think:

gizze said:
but if that is the case do yourself a favour and get the 2.0T, you can obviously afford to run it and it is a much better car than the tdi.

Now there's a thought provoking statement!!!

This is my first diesel funnily enough (not my spec remember) but prompted in part by my previous car - the 2.0ltr petrol Rav4 and it's hideous fuel consumption. To be fair though, so many of my journeys are short ones but with the diesel A3 I've gone from around 25 in the Rav4 to 40 'ish now and it seems to be getting better!
What would it be in a 2.0T ?? And are there other advantages - would tax & insurance be higher??

PLEASE tell all, now is the time for helpful debate... just in case :) this needs to be the last one, so it needs to be the right one.

Put it like this, the 2.0tdi is a great engine, plenty of go and nice torque so you have the sort of power you need for overtaking ect.

However the 2.0T is getting to be a really impressive motor, and if you remap it it will keep up with most things out there. If you are getting 40mpg in the tdi expect around 25mpg in the petrol. Take one out and see what you think, there is a huge difference. Plus there are a few out there with all the toys you want, so do ourself a favour and find a used one. I bought my 2.0tdi s-line that cost £28500 new for £23500 when it was 4 months old with less than 3k miles on it, there are some bargins out there.

But seriously consider the new S3 too, it will be the far better car and I doubt the boredom would set in so quickly. I loved my A3 tdi, but I did get bored pretty quickly, just didn't have that real grin factor.

gizze said:
...... do yourself a favour and get the 2.0T, you can obviously afford to run it and it is a much better car than the tdi.

Would have to agree.

I'm swapping my 2.0TDI for a 2.0T S-Line next week, and my current car is only 3 months old !! Getting the diesel was a big mistake for me.

If you are not happy with your car, and you can afford to change it, then do it. Life's too short !

I got a 'price by post' today - sent all the config details from the Audi site and 3 pictures of mine at it's gleaming best.
They offered £17,500 for mine (so dropping £5500) but didn't take anything off the price of the new one - I thought there was up to 10% to play with there from reading various posts??
That would give me a changeover cost of £8000 :( - but there is another quote to come in from the garage I got the first one from. Maybe loyalty will be worth something?
If I haggle do you think there's anything more they can give??

Never take thier first price. They have offered you a low price for yours. It gives them something to play with!

Yes you'll get a discount on the new car, 10% is easily achieved

J.

Try looking on www.drivethedeal.com for a price on a car to your spec. This will give you an indication of the kind of margin on the A3. I'd then try and find out what the CAP clean price is for your Audi and take it from there, but I would guess there is £2500 in the new car and they would try and make £2500 on yours

SteveTDCi said:
Try looking on www.drivethedeal.com for a price on a car to your spec. This will give you an indication of the kind of margin on the A3. I'd then try and find out what the CAP clean price is for your Audi and take it from there, but I would guess there is £2500 in the new car and they would try and make £2500 on yours

£23486 for new one at your link, thanks Steve!

What's CAP though?

CAP and Glasses are the little books that dealers always look in before offering you a silly price for your car. if you go to www.vauxhall.co.uk and click on the value my car link (under owners i think) it will give you an indication of what a basic/no options price you can expect to get for your car, I'd then add on £500-650 for the options fitted to your car. This should be the very minimum you can expect for your car. On the drive the deal site, it won't let you print the quote, but if you do a screen shot you can then cut and paste it to Word. Another tip would be to seach the audi approved website and autotrader trying to find a car similar in spec to yours, again this will give you an indication as to what kind of profit they aim to make on your car, but i'd expect it to be a least 2k

SteveTDCi said:
Keep it, the rain sensing wipers aren't worth 5k not if they are the same ones VW fit.
I'll second that, they do some odd stuff, and I don't think you can turn them off, sometimes they are spot on (excuse pun) other times I am thinking "come on WIPE will you" I though the speed sensitive one's on my last A3 were better, and while I'm on a rant, they can stick the auto lights as well, they scare me that they might just pop on before a junction giving the wrong signal and causing someone to pull out on me, I'm old enough now to know when it's dark.......................

stewarta13wsb said:
I got a 'price by post' today - sent all the config details from the Audi site and 3 pictures of mine at it's gleaming best.
They offered £17,500 for mine (so dropping £5500) but didn't take anything off the price of the new one - I thought there was up to 10% to play with there from reading various posts??
That would give me a changeover cost of £8000 :( - but there is another quote to come in from the garage I got the first one from. Maybe loyalty will be worth something?
If I haggle do you think there's anything more they can give??

T/in up to £18,250 giving £7250 as the price to change. Sent them the internet quote for £23,486 (vs £25,000) for the new one but they won't budge - obviously loading it all onto the trade in.
Sadly no price yet from Inverness!!! :( Can't need the business)

That new black S3 looks nice though :)

Down to £7000 now and I don't think they'll go much further. Nothing off the new one still so that's £18,500 for mine the way they count it. Of the £7k £2,500 is really because it's a dearer car than the original, so that makes it £4,500 to change... or is that me just playing with numbers and kidding myself...

so I ask the same question again - for £4,500, am I still mad??

Yes you are, YOu could pick up a cheap hothatch for that money and have some fun around the highlands :)

Where are you getting it from Stuart? Highland Audi?
I'm collecting my car from them on saturday. 2.0T Quattro s-line special edition. It was the best deal I got and living in Skye it was the easiest option.

WJ