Wiper Relay

doublem_1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the wiper relay is located on a facelift 8l? I am going to replace my motor soon but thinking it could also be the relay thats at fault.

I think it's near the motor mate, which is on the left of the engine bay under the skuttle tray thingy - but I'm sure you know that bit:) I've heard mine going and you can tell it's round there. In fact that makes me think I might have the same problem cos I aint heard it going recently and my wipers have more or les given up the ghost.

What symptoms have you got? Mine sort of go for a bit, then randomly stop somewhere across the windscreen, then I have to nurse them out of the way back to their resting position.

Do you know how to get the skuttle tray off mate, and I mean do you "really" know how to do it cos other descriptions on here over simplify it and make it out to be dead easy, missing out loads of little important things about what to do if things don't quite go right?!!

I could really do with some input, like yourself no doubt, cos I've got a lot of miles to do tomorrow and Monday and it's getting a bit dangerous without wipers :scared2:
Cheers...

I have taken the scuttle tray off many times. The relay sounds like its in the car. I have a different problem. When I turn the wipers on, be it intermittent, one wiper, etc and then back to off.... They dont ****** turn off!!! You don't realise how annoying it is! Eventually they stop though.

If I have the wipers arms off and turn them on and off again, they stay on constantly. and I can hear, from inside the car, the relay clicking.

Now, I shall tell you how to take them off:

1. Open up the bonnet and undo the black caps with a little screwdriver, pull off the long rubber strip that clips it onto the bulkhead, then unclip the black plasticcover that was underneath it (on the passenger side, can't miss it).

2. Undo each wiper arm with a 13mm spanner.

3. Now, you need 21mm (for drivers side) and a 22mm (passenger side) open ended spanner. A 22mm might work for both actually. And jimmy the arm off by putting some pressure on the spline. Sorry no pic to describe.

First time doing might be a tad hard but have patience.

4. Now the scuttle will come away, just give it a little tug from the windscreen (just lightly clipped in all the way along). There will be two electrical connectors and the washer pipe to undo before completely removing it though.

5. You will now see the wiper linkage. Just 3 10mm nuts to remove and of course the eletrical connector.

... On refit do NOT over tighten the nuts on the wiper arms or they WILL break!!....

Hopefully this will help, if not message me.

19112009229.jpg

Last edited:
That's brilliant mate, should keep me going - can't thank you enough :icon_thumright:

I CAN imagine how annoying that is but at least yours still work!!

So when yours keep going, do they keep going at the same speed they were just set to? They don't suddenly go mental or revert to the same, different speed every time, if you see what I mean?

Thats ok dude. Mine stay at the same normal speed. But I still think the motor needs replacing regardless, because the wipers can stop half way up the screen when the screens dry.

Wiper/wash relay is number 377, its under piece of trim under the steering wheel (near the fuses)

Ok thats brilliant. I will check it out. I wonder if theres a way to check wether or not a relay is faulty?