Wiper judder

Bennnz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have this very annoying issue with my driver side (larger) wiper juddering. I have cleaned the glass , even put sealant and then removed it by rubbing alcohol, and got brand new OEM wiper. But nothing seems to be solving it.

I start to suspect the arm is out of alignment . Could you provide me any suggestion on what to do next ? The passenger side wiper is fault free

I have this on my 8Y RS3 and the dealer checked it on another 8Y A3 and it did the same thing. Not great. I know your car is an 8V and mine didn’t do that so you should be able to get it fixed hopefully under the Audi warranty.

I’m not sure Audi will help me though as it seems to be a “feature” on the 8Y.

What I can see is the blade sits in a bent position that just flush on the screen, and oddly my windscreen feels quite “dry” and grabby . Maybe I over cleaned it or something similar.

It's a known issue with OEM wipers. The solution is to by Bosch Aerotwins instead.

Reactions: Neil C
It's a known issue with OEM wipers. The solution is to by Bosch Aerotwins instead.
Had the same issue with our A1 sometime back, see: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/windscreen-and-wipers.412677/#post-3539757

Just couldn't sort it. Same as you, did all the cleaning, etc. Concluded it was the glass and NOT the wiper blades and/or angle of the blade to the glass - and me an ex MIRA/Type Approval/etc. engineer, just saying....

So investigated what the RALLY Car animals/beasties use - for sure the conditions they use windscreen wipers (were) are far in excess of what I needed - and discovered PIAA. Check 'em out:

The PIAA windscreen wipers sorted the issue IMMEDIATELY! And ever since...

Lesson: must look at what the 'professionals' use - imagine vibrating wipers at plus 100mph with trees passing fast either-side!

The Bosch Aerotwins just didn't for me, several sets! But swapping back and forth between PIAA, and Bosch, and OEM proved: 1) the glass was the issue, and 2) that the PIAA 100% resolved the issue - and continues to do so.

Fed PIAA information back to Audi UK/Audi GmbH and what a waste of time that was! :blink:

Several years on/today: I no longer have that 'vibration' issue and I do and I AM using PIAA windscreen wipers.

SQ5 PIAA

Find a better solution then please let Audi UK/Audi GmbH know, I'm sure they'll appreciate your input/feedback, not! :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: jimojameso, GGP and Mick3
PIAA are an excellent replacement option though double the price.

For existing wipers: rubbing alcohol not great. Wipe the blade with a damp kitchen towel to get the dirt off and then wipe with another kitchen towel dampened with a small amount glycerol/glycerine (dead cheap from the chemist). If that doesn’t work your wipers are shot.

Windscreen chemicals like Rain-X etc aren’t good either.

PIAA are an excellent replacement option though double the price.

For existing wipers: rubbing alcohol not great. Wipe the blade with a damp kitchen towel to get the dirt off and then wipe with another kitchen towel dampened with a small amount glycerol/glycerine (dead cheap from the chemist). If that doesn’t work your wipers are shot.

Windscreen chemicals like Rain-X etc aren’t good either.
I agree PIAA are more expensive, ish, but as I was on the point of (bricking!) replacing the windscreen I found PIAA to be the more cost effective option.

Reactions: JohnM100
This was the bain of s3 ownership for me.

Basically the shape of the windscreen causes it, if there's ANYTHING on the screen it will do this. I had to buy some special powder to remove whatever Audi put on the screen (some cheap version of rain-x) but even washing the car with autoglym shampoo would leave a rain-x type smear and the drivers wiper would skip over it. So I would have to apply this powder every time I washed the car. I went through multiple wipers. PIAA work but only if you flawlessely clean and apply the silicon to the screen which is quite difficult, otherwsie you get lines on the windscreen where the sillicon builds up.

100% agree. But, as an automotive development engineer, long retired but will never give it up, etc; I still questioned 'WHY?'

Answer for me was 'glass manufacture' and the solution (for me) 'PIAA.'

For sure I wanted to 'brick' the windscreen, the wiper vibration horrendous! I feel your pain.

Do consider PIAA. Worked for me!

PS: £s resolving was not an issue for me, loved the car: the issue was resolving what was obviously a 'mechanical' and the objective 'just sorting the damn issue!' PIAA sorted it, for me, and still does. GO FOR IT anyone who has an alternative resolution, I applaud you :yahoo:

Last edited:
Changed with aftermarket wipers ( a local brand ) and problem was fixed. I can’t believe OEM part is worse !