Why always radio reception SUCKS on audi cars ?

Phone Tech

Reaction score
Hey guys I is so weird but I had A3 2011 b4 and had major issues with radio reception I gave up but now on a3 2015 I can't believe having issues AGAIN? I have DAB and when obviously starts it plays but as soon as I step on brake or it shuts down .. no signal no sound .. and it eventually start playing again when am not stepping on brake ! driving me crazy ! when on FM obviously after brake sound gets crackly ...
Anybody know what is going on ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably interference from wiring to brake light or maybe the high level brake light itself. Must be significant if it also impacts FM.

Only ever had one problem with DAB, otherwise trouble free so I don’t think it’s systemic in the brand.

There have been reports of USB 12v adapters and dashcams affecting DAB reception but that’s more the cheap electronics inside those devices pumping out RF noise.

Edit: from your other posts you have done a fair bit of wiring work so also possible something is no longer shielded or you have knocked something out of alignment in a loom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phone Tech and Audi Bairn
Probably interference from wiring to brake light or maybe the high level brake light itself. Must be significant if it also impacts FM.

Only ever had one problem with DAB, otherwise trouble free so I don’t think it’s systemic in the brand.

There have been reports of USB 12v adapters and dashcams affecting DAB reception but that’s more the cheap electronics inside those devices pumping out RF noise.

Edit: from your other posts you have done a fair bit of wiring work so also possible something is no longer shielded or you have knocked something out of alignment in a loom.
Thnx make sense yeah quite of bit of custom wiring..

Perhaps you should rename the thread "Why does radio reception suck on cars I've messed around with the wiring on?"

I've had various Audis and always found the radio reception excellent.

Reactions: josul and JohnM100
Gets on ya T**s doesn't it. Every time I drive over the Pennines, is goes off. Go into a valley somewhere, it goes off.

DAB is the future ......

For most part dab is good around my neck of the woods. I do find my last a6 had a better aerial than the s3/a3 maybe it sat taller. There’s a part of road where the m73 joins the m74 dab always drops off and lucky if I get fm. Never happened in the a6 but always in my s3 and the a3 courtesy cars I’ve had.
That’s the only area I have any gripe with radio reception.

You can understand it with Scotland being so hilly but DAB is more obvious than FM etc. Mine cuts out on same section of road near where I stay.

DAB and FM is perfect in Switzerland and on most of my EU drives. I had a Mokka for a few months as a stop gap car and the DAB was terrible in the UK. Thats the last i can remember regarding DAB in the UK so i would put it down to UK service. It cant be geographical limitations as Switzelrand is super hilly what with the Alps!

You've obviously got a better aerial network in Switzerland than in some parts of the UK. Where I live in rural Hampshire it's pretty flat, but I lose DAB reception on a couple of local sections of road. I also find it is rather dependant on the weather conditions.

No issues with DAB in London or wherever I might travel to in the UK. As mentioned above you have been retrofitting a few bits to your vehicle and your revering camera cabling would have been run close to one of your DAB ariels. Suggest you start looking around to boot / truck and hatch area for any issues.

In Snowdonia last month and DAB reception must have been marginal, could get nought on the separate Dab radio I had with me, went and sat in the A3 and got a load of stations including all the BBC ones.