Which engine- 1.4TSI vs 2.0TDI vs 1.6TDI

Whilst accepting that a turb-diesel will always hev very good (and quite addictive) low down grunt, I can't se myself ever buying diesel again. Too many issues these days with all the anti-pollution measures, adblue, DPF, EGR.

Yeah it is a worrying consideration, I must admit. This will probably the last diesel I own because of the anti-diesel rhetoric, but I intend to keep it till they make it impossible to own. I still think there is many many years in them yet with the new ones.

I had to change my 23K 8P because of London ULEZ rules, it would have cost me £15 to drive off my driveway, a day. Essentially, it was just a tax on working class people in London, like many other things the gob***** Mayor instigates.

I am running a 2014 2.0TDI 150ps 2014 and its b@stard quick off the line and it pulls like a train.
My previous car was a 1.6TDI 100ps Golf DSG and it was ok, but my current 2.0 would destroy the golf.

I am now getting it tunned to close to 200ps which should keep up with a Golf GTD if not faster.

As I do long drives and my car gets up to temp and also I spank it once a week, I have never had a problem with my DPF on my previous car or this one.
Even if I do, my mate will clean it out as brand new for £250.00

But I do agree with Dubjam, my next car will be a petrol AWD or RWD at least.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
2.0l TDI is the pick of that bunch,

even the 150 tdi still better than the 1.4 TSI’s.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I test drove the DSG versions of both 150 bhp petrol (now 1.5l) and diesel engines (both mild hybrid?) in a Golf 8 and an 8Y A3 respectively, on pretty much the same routes (including dual carriageways; steep hills; A roads and country lanes) and would happily drive either: they were both fun, punchy engines that were effortless to drive.

For me though, my short commute rules diesel fuel out. As has been mentioned, diesels are going out of fashion. They’ve fallen to less than 20% of new sales, IIRC, which might restrict resale values in years to come. So, personally, I’d only buy a diesel if I was doing lots of motorway miles.