1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel sealants for winter

AlS3BE Oct 8, 2018

1. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

hi guys/gals

I’m looking for a wheel sealant and was wondering what you guys recommend especially for winter times so long lasting/hard wearing?
    I ideally want a simple spray on type or simple application.
    I would have went with a conventional type sealant, slap on and cure the buff, but these wheels have like 100 spokes and bits in between and don’t want to spend like 2 hours per wheel. Old age and laziness :wink:

Cheers

Al

upload_2018-10-8_18-57-8.jpeg

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 DSG

Carbon collective platinum wheels. Solid protection, can be applied with a cotton wool pad or microfibre. Shouldn't take too long. I know it's not a spray, but best I know of that is good quality.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

AlS3BE likes this.
  4. mark351

mark351 Member

Wax addicts do a wheel coating it will be quite fiddly because of your sort of alloys but it’s brilliant stuff...
    http://www.waxaddict.co.uk/shop/Wheel-Coating-p72514022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ_2018 and AlS3BE like this.
  5. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Think I got the wrong type of wheel for my lazy a$$ but was a bargain I couldn’t refuse.
    Was thinking a spray on type cause the alloys are new and clean so a spray on should stick quite well.

6. Carefree69

Carefree69 Well-Known Member

I’ve tried most (including the two mentioned) and I found that the best stuff (by far) was the Auto Glym alloy wheels sealant.

Quite often the best stuff is right under your nose in high street shops like Halfrauds.

AlS3BE likes this.
  7. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Yup wrong style of wheel to seal with anything durable unless yer name is Eltham Hunt... Lol even a spray on ceramic is out the question unless ye boil wash them firstly mate

AlS3BE likes this.
  8. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Got Halfords trade card so makes it a bit cheaper.
    Will look into the autoglym stuff.
    I use the ag radiant wax which is like their super resin on steroids without the dust. This stuff is great for covering up light scratches.

jassyo06 likes this.
  9. JJ_2018

JJ_2018 Member

Bought some cheers mate going to give it a try before winter.

mark351 likes this.
  10. mark351

mark351 Member

Tiny bottle but have done mine 2 or 3 times still
    Got few uses left so don’t b fooled by the size of the
    Bottle all depends how you apply ;)

JJ_2018 likes this.
  11. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Think I might give the autoglym a shot.
    Give the new wheels a quick clean with citrus cleaner and quick spray of the AG. There’s bits I can’t even get my pinky and a cloth through. While the car is getting repaired I can get a few coats on.

12. Avatar

13. Wibbly

Wibbly Active Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group Audi A3 S-line owners group Manual

I've found
    Armor All Shield for Wheels better, but formulations keep getting changed. Lasts a few weeks between applications.

AlS3BE likes this.
  14. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

To be honest l find wheel sealants pointless, never have l used one at most they get a quick once over with a quick detailer

mark351, Flying Scotsman and AlS3BE like this.
  15. Fozzer

Fozzer Member TFSI Owners Group Team Navarra Audi S3 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic S3 Saloon Saloon S tronic

Race Glaze Nano wheel sealant is a spray on sealant and very good at its job.

AlS3BE likes this.
  16. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

I normally just use stuff I use for the body on the face of the wheel so it’s easier to clean whether it’s quick detailed or wax/sealant. With these wheels it will take me an hour or 2 to get all the bits in between the spokes.

jassyo06 likes this.
  17. RS3 S.

RS3 S. Well-Known Member Team Daytona Team V6 SQ5 owners group Audi Q5 S tronic

................same here, nothing seems to last that long. I just do mine with regular hard body wax then as above top up with a detailing spray or a spray wax.

jassyo06 likes this.
  18. jassyo06

I took the rear wheels off my car in the summer to repaint the hubs whilst waiting on the paint drying l coated both wheels with fireball fusion wax they did look very good indeed, lasted 4 weeks tops, now you would have to remove your wheels 12 times in one year just to get these results, a lot of work

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    RS3 S. and AlS3BE like this.
  19. DanZ

DanZ New Member

Is Poorboys any good?
    Thx

20. Audib5fan

Audib5fan 4 rings <3

Or just use a ceramic wheel coating makes Job much easier wax never lasts

mark351 likes this.
  21. jak kez 187

jak kez 187 New Member

Saw this product on the detailing word forum. Looks like it could be ideal for the alloys pictured in the original post given how many tiny tight gaps there are.

22. jassyo06

That's just a temp hydrophobic solution like Gyeon wet coat or Fireball premium easy coat they don't last but easy to apply that's for sure

23. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Use this on the car every couple of months.
    Great finish but only lasts 4-5 washes Then noticeably not as waxy so needs reapplied.
    Was hoping to get something that will last the winter and get away with just pressure washing the wheels. Maybe I’m looking for a miracle solution :wink:

24. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 saloon

I have to agree with those that made comments that none last very long. I do not use any, and in my neck of the woods, salt is almost a daily occurrence in the winter. The clearcoat will protect the wheel finish as long as it is not damaged. Just make sure you clean your alloys once a week to remove brake dust, especially if salt and grit has been applied to the roads. I have followed this practise on all my cars with no alloy finish damage. Just do not use some alloy cleaners which along with salt will damage your alloys. Just good old clean soapy water

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    jassyo06 likes this.
  25. jassyo06

aye of course..but the design of the wheels the OP has renders a ceramic useless

Audib5fan and AlS3BE like this.
  26. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

And it will be too much effort :welcoming:

Audib5fan and jassyo06 like this.
  27. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Maybe my question should change to anyone want to swap wheels with me. Something simple like the rotors or the star ones. :icon thumright:

Flying Scotsman and jassyo06 like this.
  28. jassyo06

With those alloys yer damn right..it would be,the A3 saloon 2014 launch edition had a very similar design....but l cant find a image of them anywhere

AlS3BE and Flying Scotsman like this.
  29. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

The launch one looks the same but the face is polished I think.

30. kalniel

kalniel Active Member

Ignorant here, but why would salt damage alloys?

31. ZipZap01

ZipZap01 New Member

Alloy wheels are made from aluminium alloy. Aluminium is severely corroded by salt.

The wheels are supplied painted which provides some protection. Typically a couple of coats of paint, then a clear top coat is applied giving a thick protective coating.

Some wheels are supplied with a polished metal finish. These are not painted on the polished surface and have only a very thin protective film. If this gets scratched or chopped, then the metal can corrode.

With salt present, the metal can start corroding in days around a pin-hole chip giving "white worms" appearance as the corrosion penetrates under the clear coat and starts lifting it off.

If you look in your car manual, it will tell you that polished wheels are not suitable for use on salted roads; and it is for this reason.

Audib5fan, AlS3BE and kalniel like this.
  32. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

upload_2018-10-14_17-18-22.jpeg
    Cleaned and sealed. Had some reload left so went to town with this. 2hours to do and I’m sure I missed some bits.
    Rim protection on these are quite small compared to the pzero

Audib5fan likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. Robert997

Robert997 New Member

Last year I bought the poorboys world wheel sealant, I think it was recommended on detailing world. I've had a great experience with it, about £12 for the tub and after almost 17k miles I've got no marks on my wheels at all. It was always the tar marks or those black spots int he corners that really used to gripe with me, but so far so good with this stuff. I do admit I get to wash the car every other weekend, and I've just reapplied the stuff this Sunday in time for the winter weather.
    I've attempted a snap of wheel and sealant - photography is not my strength...:icon thumright:

IMG_1592.JPG

Audib5fan and AlS3BE like this.
  35. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

With those alloys I would have used something like that but with my million and one spoke alloys I went with the spray on and wipe off and accept that I might have missed a few bits. They are winter wheels so trying not to care too much but no doubt my ocd will kick in:wink: