Wheel cleaner to use every couple of weeks?

TeaMonsta

Reaction score
I bought some Valet Pro Dragon's Breath wheel cleaner which I've used once on my wife's car but have yet to use it on mine. My wheels have had a ceramic coating applied inside and out. My questions are:

Is it safe to use every couple of weeks or so as a regular cleaner or is it meant for a deep clean every few months? If it's more for a deep clean, what should I be using for a regular maintenance wash? The wheels are the 5 V-spoke matt titanium diamond cut (A4 Black Edition)

Thanks in advance for your help

Reactions: Jimbob76
This is a good question @TeaMonsta - ceramic coated wheels shouldn't need an aggressive acid or alkaline based wheel cleaner, the ceramic coating should protect your wheels from bonded contaminants (i.e. brake dust) fixing to your wheels - any fall-out should wash off pretty easily. This is one of the main benefits of applying a quartz based coating. HOWEVER, this is a question I've been wrestling with myself. I have exactly the same wheels as you, and I'm planning to ceramic coat them (wheels off job) with G-techniq C5 in the next few weeks...

I am paranoid about the diamond cut faces of my wheels (I've had DC wheels before, and experienced the dreaded 'white-worm' when moisture gets behind the laquer) - to the extent that I don't jet-wash my wheels, and they get gently cleaned (barrels and all) every week (sometimes more in winter when there's salt on the roads - very OCD, I know).

Up until now, I've happily used Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels as a dedicated 'bleeding' wheel fall-out remover (not every wash, but once a fortnight) DILUTED 50/50 with water). BHAW isn't a harsh PH extreme acid or alkaline cleaner (like Wonder Wheels for example) - it is marketed as a PH 'neutralised' wheel cleaner, and one I've deemed fit to clean my DC alloys safely for the last year, with no ill effects. So by my logic, it should be ok to use on ceramic coated wheels. I find it useful (diluted) as I clean my wheels at the end of the wash (using what's left in my wash bucket), and it adds some much needed suds to the process.

So, that's the long story, the short-version is I'm hoping to still use BHAW as a diluted wheel cleaner, once a fortnight, after I've c-coated my wheels. Unless anyone one here recommends otherwise? So, I've answered your question by asking a question, which might not be helpful, but hoping others will chip in :grimacing:...

Last edited:
Reactions: TeaMonsta
Thanks, Jimbob. Dilution had crossed my mind. I'd feel a bit happier with that. Let's see what else the other members might input.....

ValetPro Bilberry diluted 1:10 is good for that. I have used it for maintenance washes on my wheels for years. It is so mild that it won't eat out the coating or even if that are only sealed.

Reactions: TeaMonsta, Jassyo06 and NevMan
Thanks, Makelja. Might just keep the Dragon's Breath for a de-contamination every few months.

This is a good question @TeaMonsta - ceramic coated wheels shouldn't need an aggressive acid or alkaline based wheel cleaner, the ceramic coating should protect your wheels from bonded contaminants (i.e. brake dust) fixing to your wheels - any fall-out should wash off pretty easily. This is one of the main benefits of applying a quartz based coating. HOWEVER, this is a question I've been wrestling with myself. I have exactly the same wheels as you, and I'm planning to ceramic coat them (wheels off job) with G-techniq C5 in the next few weeks...

I am paranoid about the diamond cut faces of my wheels (I've had DC wheels before, and experienced the dreaded 'white-worm' when moisture gets behind the laquer) - to the extent that I don't jet-wash my wheels, and they get gently cleaned (barrels and all) every week (sometimes more in winter when there's salt on the roads - very OCD, I know).

Up until now, I've happily used Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels as a dedicated 'bleeding' wheel fall-out remover (not every wash, but once a fortnight) DILUTED 50/50 with water). BHAW isn't a harsh PH extreme acid or alkaline cleaner (like Wonder Wheels for example) - it is marketed as a PH 'neutralised' wheel cleaner, and one I've deemed fit to clean my DC alloys safely for the last year, with no ill effects. So by my logic, it should be ok to use on ceramic coated wheels. I find it useful (diluted) as I clean my wheels at the end of the wash (using what's left in my wash bucket), and it adds some much needed suds to the process.

So, that's the long story, the short-version is I'm hoping to still use BHAW as a diluted wheel cleaner, once a fortnight, after I've c-coated my wheels. Unless anyone one here recommends otherwise? So, I've answered your question by asking a question, which might not be helpful, but hoping others will chip in :grimacing:...

Long story cut short right enough mate lol
Ps wrestling with ones self will only end in pain so I'd Patch that caper in ASAP lol

Reactions: Jimbob76 and NevMan
Long story cut short right enough mate lol
Ps wrestling with ones self will only end in pain so I'd Patch that caper in ASAP lol

Lol, might have been a bit long-winded on that post mate - not like me at all :tonguewink:

@TeaMonsta asked an interesting question though, as quartz coatings like G-techniq C5 state not to use an aggressive acid/alkaline based wheel cleaner post application, but used correctly, in the right dilution, they are still useful.

Will keep the wrestling to with Mrs Jimbob henceforth :footy:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
Hmmm. When you say the dreaded white worm what it that? I’m new to DC wheels but noticed a strange lump this morning on one wheel. I’ll try and attach a pic. Would welcome your expertise!’
83AD97CC 1908 4E7B B4A8 EFF57341B0E0

Hmmm. When you say the dreaded white worm what it that? I’m new to DC wheels but noticed a strange lump this morning on one wheel. I’ll try and attach a pic. Would welcome your expertise!’View attachment 179420

Ouch. Yep, that's the dreaded diamond cut white-worm devil right there. Right up there with 'curbing' but even more annoying as not your fault. Looks like you've picked up a stone chip, which has broken the lacquer on the diamond cut face of your wheel and moisture is now getting in/trapped behind the lacquer and is corroding your alloy. Only way to sort properly is to have the wheel refurbished I'm afraid to say (£150-ish, maybe a bit less). And you can only do this once with diamond cut wheels as the refurb outfit will lathe cut a very fine layer off the face of your wheel, before re-finishing. Doing more than once compromises the structural integrity of the wheel. Left as it is, it will only get worse, so depends on how much it bothers you vs the outlay to get it sorted.

I feel your pain - DC wheels look great in the showroom (and therefore sell cars), but they are sooo tricky to keep that way and are vulnerable to exactly what you've posted. Hope this (unwelcome news) helps.

Oh dear !! I sort of suspected it might be something like that. Good to understand it properly - only picked up the car Tuesday so maybe it was there already and I didn’t notice it - I’ll have a word with Aberdeen Audi. Living in the country I can’t see how I’ll keep any of the wheels from getting the same problem!! Sorry to have hijacked the thread. Back to regular wheel cleaning tips folks

Reactions: Jimbob76
If you only picked up the car on Tuesday, get it back to them and have it sorted under warranty quick sharp mate. You've been unlucky, and it may not happen again :thumbs up:

Good luck, and nay bother re: hi-jacking the thread (kind of on-topic anyways). Welcome to the forum. Let us know how you get on pal.

I find with regular washing i don't ever really need wheel cleaner just good old bodywork shampoo.

Reactions: Jassyo06
@David Stokes, if the service from Aberdeen Audi ever falls short (never heard that it does, but just in case) I can recommend Highland Audi in Inverness. Great service from them. Bit of a way up the A96 (or A95/A9 for a more enjoyable drive with less traffic and more overtaking opportunities) but worth it....

Ha ha - thanks for the recommendation - would be a lovely drive from Essex! Doug Gordon at AA has been great but distance is now a challenge

LOL! Surprised you got a decent deal this end of the earth. Aberdeen car prices are normally a nightmare due to very little competition and too many people having over-inflated salaries. But if you do get back up this way, I'd recommend braving the M25 to get to the M6 then north....

Reactions: OCDaveS4