Wheel bearing woes.

mattyy

Reaction score
So it’s seems like fitting a rear wheel bearing these days is a difficult task.

First garage managed to press the bearing in off the brake Caliper lugs and bent them resulting in the casting cracking.

During this time I picked up a new arm and decided to a complete overhaul of both rear arms. This meant getting two bearings changed. I don’t own a press so this was done by a local garage.
To cut a long story short, I have spent the last two days rebuilding the back end of the S3. I got to put on the first wheel tonight and after tightening it up realise that it feels ‘loose’. I wobbled the wheel and noticed this is actually coming from the hub. The wheel hasn’t even touched the floor yet... the entire hub is moving and it seem like I can move the bearing back and forth within the hub.

What could cause this so soon? Have I somehow damaged it? Has it been incorrectly fitted? Eg no retaining clip? Bad bearing or damaged arm?

See here for a video of how bad it is.

Can anyone shed some light onto this before I moan at the garage - I don’t know yet if the other side is the same..

looks like the bearing has not been pressed in all the way or the hub nut isn't done up enough... which should press the bearing together anyway

Would you happen to know the tightening torque for the hub nut?

I’ve given it some more with the impact driver and it’s tightened up so hopefully it was just me being a numpty and working too late.

Reactions: IPG
There are two types of hub's and the tightening procedure is different for both. One has an insert bolt and the other a nut. But it is a special set of instructions, eg do up to 50 turn 90 turn 90 undo drop to the ground do up to 120 undo by 90. <- not those instructions but it is that type of procedure.

Sorry ignore me I was thinking of front drive shafts.

Yeah I know the ones you mean, definitely a nut on this one though.
I have also seen two sets depending on the material of the nut (6 or 12 sided) obviously the harder the nut material the less it will stretch.

I think the procedure included doing it up really tight to press it in together then you needed to slightly undo. Let me check my Haynes manual, to see whether that covers Quattro rear hubs

Haynes says rear hub but 12 point is
Stage 1 70 Nm
Stage 2 45° 1/8 turn extra

I don't know if there's is difference between a Quattro or FWD Rear hubs procedures.

Possibly. The Bentley manual says;

5s64m.jpg

May try and check auto data aswell