What mileage is 'acceptable'?

ajspurs

Reaction score
Do you guys think a 59 plate car with 50,000 miles on the clock will be fine? I've always told myself that I don't want to buy an A3 with a mileage of over 55,000, if I'm to spend about £8,500 on it personally but I just wondered what the views of others was.

The mileage has little influence on whether the car will be 'fine' or not.

For example, I'd rather buy one with 150,000 miles on the clock that's spent its life in the hands of a salesman running up and down the motorways, has been well looked after and serviced on time, than one thats done 50,000 and had the tits ragged off it by a boy racer or someone screwing it round town.

Don't focus on the mileage too much. Look at the general condition of the car. Check the MOT history on the VOSA website, check the service history, any mechanical work that's been done etc. Do a HPI check. When you view the car insist on the engine being cold so that you can start it from cold. Make sure you test drive it, accelerate and brake hard to identify any issues if there are any.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - I bought my 59 plate A3 in September 2013 with 90,000 on the clock...

Good luck :)

Reactions: S3 AEX

For example, I'd rather buy one with 150,000 miles on the clock that's spent its life in the hands of a salesman running up and down the motorways, has been well looked after and serviced on time, than one thats done 50,000 and had the tits ragged off it by a boy racer or someone screwing it round town.

Don't focus on the mileage too much. Look at the general condition of the car. Check the MOT history on the VOSA website, check the service history, any mechanical work that's been done etc. Do a HPI check. When you view the car insist on the engine being cold so that you can start it from cold. Make sure you test drive it, accelerate and brake hard to identify any issues if there are any.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating - I bought my 59 plate A3 in September 2013 with 90,000 on the clock...

As above. Buy on condition, not mileage.

This.

Mine is a 2010 with 90ish k miles, but spent the first 3 years of its life going up and down the motorway. It also had a front end respray, and ended up in better condition than most with half the mileage I looked at.

Reactions: Sayam
What engine? Obviously a diesel with higher miles is more acceptable than a petrol with higher miles.

The most important part is the service history imo.

Reactions: Sayam
I bought my 2011 2.0 TFSI with 51,000 on it but it was in amazing condition.

59 plate is over 5 years old now, 50,000 miles is average for domestic and commuting use

if its fallin to bits tho, walk away!

My wife's 1 series is 2011 with 60k miles and has been fine. Regular service and looked after will run for many more miles.

Yeah that makes sense, thank you very much for that information I will certainly take all of this in mind.

Thanks everyone else for your input too. It's a Petrol car but it's just the exact model I've been looking for with a mileage not too high so and I'm finding that I don't really want to sleep on it. I thought the advertisment for it had gone the other day and I felt a bit gutted!

I actually got an RAC check on the car which stated as the car mechanically being fine apart from a couple of things, which were the front windscreen wipers, mirror functions and a slight oil leak. The rest were a few cosmetic issues but there's nothing wrong with the way the car is functioning. I doubt I would do more than 5k a year so after reading your comments I'm thinking it should be alrtight....

Good luck with your purchase I hope all goes well

Please come back with pictures and ask us about mods so we can show you how we were all bled dry lol!!

My 09 plate with 114k is still tight as a drum. Apart from normal servicing (every 8k oil change at a minimum) it's been 100% reliable doing 600 miles a week.

Got it with 20k on the clock.