What do the prefix numbers mean?

Rupert49

Reaction score
A general question here ...

I've noticed alongside the make and model descriptions of various different Audis that there is a number, usually 30, 35 or 40, that precedes the 'TFSi' or 'TDi' part of a model name.

What do these numbers mean? I can't get them to relate to engine sizes, but they must have some bearing on the model in question.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I think I read something about this on here a while ago. These numbers are quite a new development and do relate (I think?) to the power. But not sure how.

As Peter said it designates the power of the car. In my opinion it looks stupid and is pointless. Not much sense behind it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: S32B and Audi Bairn
im sure its to ease into hybrid engines where cc alone is less relevent when combined with an electric motor so putting power output instead.

im sure its to ease into hybrid engines where cc alone is less relevent when combined with an electric motor so putting power output instead.

Guff.... they've been using these engine designations for years in other countries

Reactions: cuke2u
Can you debadge the cars on new orders but keep the model badge? So you don't get the silly numbers?

Wouldn’t have been quite as bad if they’d directly related it to the power numbers

Eg.

100PS+ = “10”
150PS+ = “15”
200PS+ = “20”

and so on.......

Reactions: Jassyo06
Can you debadge the cars on new orders but keep the model badge? So you don't get the silly numbers?

Can delete technology or model and technology on configurator

Reactions: Jassyo06

I had 2 options:

1) Deletion of engine technology designation at rear
2) Deletion of model and technology designation at rear

I did option 2, as I think it looks more sleek on the back end :)

Reactions: Adam14
Interesting debate, guys .. thanks for looking in.

Personally I agree with those who feel the numbers are pretty meaningless. Here in good old Blighty we've used bhp or hp for donkeys years and more recently the spec sheets have been quoting power in ps numbers, which is close enough I suppose, except when someone asks how powerful my S3 is. Do I say 300 (ps) or 296 (bhp)? Most petrol heads work in bhp, so I probably say something like: 'Just short of 300, mate'!

Quoting bhp, or ps, may well impress mates in a pub it is torque everyone should be interested in.
The new numbers have also been around for years in asian countries and are only aligning us with them and the outpots of electrically powered vehicles.
There is always the choice of having the badges kept or not fitted at the factory. Personally I would not lose any sleep over them as, after all, they're only badges. More things in life to worry about...
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/audi/audi-new-model-name-badges-2017-numbers/
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/audi-introduces-new-model-naming-system
https://www.carwow.co.uk/audi/news/3742/what-do-audis-new-engine-badges-mean

more recently the spec sheets have been quoting power in ps numbers, which is close enough I suppose, except when someone asks how powerful my S3 is. Do I say 300 (ps) or 296 (bhp)? Most petrol heads work in bhp, so I probably say something like: 'Just short of 300, mate'!
I've had this "dilemma" for a while now because I've changed cars a few times. PS is always the round easy number, but everybody asks what the bhp is. I like to give an accurate answer so I usually give the PS figure then depending on who it is I'm talking to I will also give the bhp.
The difference has never been more than 4 so it will not make any difference to that person. From now on if anybody asks the bhp I will just tell them the PS and leave it at that. :)

Quoting bhp, or ps, may well impress mates in a pub it is torque everyone should be interested in.
I agree torque is a much more relevant indication of the driveability of an engine, but it means nothing to most people when compared with bhp.
Diesel engines always have more torque than an equivalent petrol engine, but one would come across as a bit of an **** boasting about the torque of their diesel Insignia down the pub. :D