Weird Clutch or Flywheel Noise (Video)

Isaa

Reaction score
Hi wondering if you guys can help me. Had a new clutch and flywheel fitted late last year. Since then I've been getting this odd noise which I presume has something to do with the clutch or flywheel. The noise which sounds like a light ticking or flicking noise only really happens when the car has been driven for a long period of time (1 hour +). Once the bonnet is open the noise seems to be coming from the top end of the engine bay. The noise also seems to come and goe when the clutch is being pressed.

Heres a video of the noise.

Cars a 2007 A3 Sportback 1.9 TDI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's down the Clutch (or flywheel) casing. I had a similar sound when mine was changed, the problem is, there are two different versions of the clutch/flywheel and one is slightly thinner iirc. If you get the slightly fatter one, it fits fine but when it heats up, it expands a little bit causing it to catch on something (nothing that will damage the engine) which causes that sound.

They had to take it back out and trim excess metal from it, to stop it from doing that!

I think it's down the Clutch (or flywheel) casing. I had a similar sound when mine was changed, the problem is, there are two different versions of the clutch/flywheel and one is slightly thinner iirc. If you get the slightly fatter one, it fits fine but when it heats up, it expands a little bit causing it to catch on something (nothing that will damage the engine) which causes that sound.

They had to take it back out and trim excess metal from it, to stop it from doing that!

That would explain why it only does it on long journeys. How would i go about rectifying this issue?
Thanks for your input.

Could be the tin spacer plate catching the flywheel? The part at the back of it is easily bent, and depending on the type of flywheel they can run really close (SACHS ones run really close to it).

I have a very similar issue with a recently fitted clutch and flywheel on my 8p s3....

Sounds like a light rattle and goes with clutch compression, the car has done 60k but is also a sachs

If I find a solution I will post in here! I cant imagine there will be an easy solution, I have not long owned the car and have noticed this after long journeys.

I have a very similar issue with a recently fitted clutch and flywheel on my 8p s3....

Sounds like a light rattle and goes with clutch compression, the car has done 60k but is also a sachs

If I find a solution I will post in here! I cant imagine there will be an easy solution, I have not long owned the car and have noticed this after long journeys.

Sounds like we've got the same issue. Really find it frustrating to be having problems after forking out over £600 for a new clutch and flywheel.