Water leaking in boot

Barry786

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Audi S3 hatchback.
I have water leaking in my rear boot coming from the right hand side in the little storage compartment, which can sometimes be a bucket load.

A year ago I was rear ended on the passenger side which resulted in needing a new bootlid and bumper.
Since then I have water coming through the drivers side :shrug: I know strange.

After months and months of changing several seals and grommets, I have only just found out water is actually coming through the fuel filler drainage hole. When hosing the drainage hole tons of water enters into the boot.

I am guessing there is a drainge tube that connects to the hole, how do I get to that tube? Is it possible to reach it from inside the boot or is it an external job.

I'm replying to this more to bump it back to the top, as I'm surprised no-one has come back to you. Usually someone with access to Elsawin would have posted a diagram by now! I suspect you're correct that the drain hose has been disconnected by accident and hopefully it's still there and just needs reconnecting. I imagine you might need to remove the inner boot trim to get to it though. Hopefully someone will dive in with advice.

I'm replying to this more to bump it back to the top, as I'm surprised no-one has come back to you. Usually someone with access to Elsawin would have posted a diagram by now! I suspect you're correct that the drain hose has been disconnected by accident and hopefully it's still there and just needs reconnecting. I imagine you might need to remove the inner boot trim to get to it though. Hopefully someone will dive in with advice.
Thanks for replying,
I stripped the inside of the boot and I can't really get to the fuel tank area because of the rear wheel arch coming in the way.
I believe the only way to get that drainage pipe is to pull the fuel filler off from outside or reach it from underneath by removing the rear tyre and under arch cover.
Will have to take it to a garage and let them figure out the easiest way to reach it once this COVID-19 lockdown is all over.

Until then you could probably just seal the drain hole with a blob of Blu-tack or something. I suspect its main purpose is to stop water collecting and dribbling down from the bottom of the flap in an unsightly manner, rather than any possibility of water getting into the tank.

Reactions: Phutters
Quick update!
Removed the alloy and rear wheel liner, could clearly see the fuel filler tank from underneath and the tube was popped off.

Car has had some history being stolen/recovered, the boot was in a state so I suspect they removed fuel cover to locate the tracker and it popped the tube out.

However! It has not stopped the water from getting in, when I do pour water around the fuel cover it still enters.
I removed the entire cover and put some silicone around the cover as I believe it's just not sitting properly.
Will update in next few days to see if it has stopped the water.

Reactions: N.J.H