Water in rear n/s footwell - should I be more worried?

amimmortal

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last week I posted a message about water in the n/s rear passenger footwell. At the time I put it down to the fact I'd left the windows open during a rainy night.

However I've seen a few posts here referring to water leaks/ pooling in the front n/s footwell, and the fact that these can cause significant problems to electrics.

My question is, could the water in the rear footwell have come from somewhere else, the boot for example? I can't find any other damp patches or evidence of water running down from somewhere else in the car, but it has me slightly worried...

One thing I did notice was a slight damp patch on the lower left corner of the boot lid (it's an avant), which I put down to ingress where the lid meets the bumper. I've lifted the carpet out of the boot and found no water anywhere.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated...

A.

"Bear in mind if the channel just below the lip of the windscreen is dirty (the one under the windscreen wiper trim), water will get in through the pollen filter housing and straight down into your blower motor. Just another avenue for leakage.... Any more out there?"

I had this issue.

Cheers mate...

Where exactly is the pollen filter housing? And can you give more detail where this wiper trim is?

The fact that water is coming to the rear footwell via the aircon vent, does that indicate this problem?

Cheers!

A.

Righty...

I've taken the car to my local independant garage. They removed the scuttle and found a whole load of rubbish (wet leaves, muck, grime etc) around the pollen filter cover.

There was also a tide mark indicating that water had pooled in the n/s scuttle, although the o/s seems to be dry...

They've also found that the pollen filter cover seal has completely perished and it's fairly obvious that water has gotten in there, hence the water in the rear n/s footwell.

They're going to remove the battery and clear the drain there and reseal the scuttle cover to help ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Now I just need to get the carpet (and foam underlay) dry... wish me luck!

A.