Water in boot space.

Pro-cookie

Reaction score
Ok guys really tried not to ask this on here as I was convinced I’d find the issue. However after trying to find it for a year and trawling the Internet and coming up with nothing other than it’s a leak from your sunroof drain pipe which runs through same compartment, I’m stuck!! As you can probably work out from that I don’t have a sunroof!
Ok so I have water in the compartment behind o/s/r light cluster I have searched for nearly a year as to how it’s coming in and so far as a temporary measure I have silicone around cluster (with boot open so when it’s closed you can’t see silicone). I have checked around rear quarter window seal and added a touch of silicone to suspect areas. I have put silicone around roof rail seals where they meet the roof! And the aerial and yet I’m still getting a significant puddle in the compartment around 1inch deep. It happens when driving in rain and it even happens when it’s been stood for a bit. I’ve checked the body work around that area and all is in very good order. I’m really lost as to where it’s coming in! Has anyone else had this issue other then your blocked drain pipe from sunroof.
Any help would be fantastic as I’m not wanting my car to rot from inside out.

It looks ok but I thought if the seal failed the water ran in the gully space so it couldn’t physically get into the boot?

The thing is I’ve poured water onto areas of the car trying to locate it and it doesn’t do it lol

i would start by fitting new seals to the light clusters rather than messing with sillycone

I would also inspect the two plastic vents that sit low down in the compartment to ensure they are intact and the correct way up.

The compartment is supposed to have a drain hole in the bottom of it, so get that unblocked for a start!

I've heard of the bonding on the rear screen failing before, and letting water in. Your not going to fix that with silicone either, the screen will need to come out and be properly refitted.

Ok will check those, the silicone was only temporary until I worked out which was causing the problem then get it fixed properly. I must admit I can’t see or feel any sort of bung. I’m guessing it’s the same sort of drain off bung that’s in the scuttle panel? The vents seem intact so I’ll check they are not upside down.

I’m going to have to get auto screen to come and do windscreen because the seal is not great! Although it’s not letting water in, it just doesn’t look brilliant so I could get them to resell the back window as well. I’m assuming they would come out just to do reseal or do they only come to replace the screens?

its not a bung as such, its just a sort of gap in the pressed metal panels where they've been welded together. Ends up like a slot shape, perhaps 3-4mm wide and about 20mm long.

its not a bung as such, its just a sort of gap in the pressed metal panels where they've been welded together. Ends up like a slot shape, perhaps 3-4mm wide and about 20mm long.
Ok I have a few pics
B01356E5 A574 49D1 A223 957C796C009B
4E2B1F50 58C4 434C 8A40 0DE9431BC126

Attachments

• 747D8994-A8D9-4B23-9CCE-909EBB661740.jpeg
    747D8994-A8D9-4B23-9CCE-909EBB661740.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 45C5F63C-A12C-46C7-9B57-CD439E674F9D.jpeg
    45C5F63C-A12C-46C7-9B57-CD439E674F9D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
I’ve dried it out but I had 1” of water in there and tried pouring more water over the light unit and left it for half hour then did the same with water over rear window and no water entered so it’s got to be the roof rails? Aragorn what’s the cable going through that grommet? I thought maybe that was the bung and someone had used it to run cable for the tow bar. Also can you tell from that if the vent is right way around? The top of the pic is the top of the vent.