Water Coolant Issue

d8ean

Reaction score
Car is a March 14 S3, done about 9k miles
S-tronic

about 3/4 months ago warning light came up about the coolant (stop engine etc) Audi came out and topped it up and said that it should be fine. Due to pressure it had triggered the sensor or some description like that.

about a week later the warning light came on again but only literally for a second.....

tuesday this week it came on again (wife drives the car more then me) and she called out audi assistance, this time the chap made a comment that its certainly leaking and mentioned that whoever looked at it before should of sent it into Audi for a proper inspection - really not good imho

pressure tested it all and there is a bad leak apparently, so its topped up to get her home and then audi will collect the next day.

they send a normal AA van to take the car, (again my wife is at home dealing with this) and after taking the car off the drive to the van, they then realise its a S3 so can't tow it with the rear wheels on the floor.

organise a low loader to pick it up

now at the dealers and they can't look at it until after christmas..... not sure what the problem really is but I'm really disappointed that something like this has happened with what is an expensive car (41k i paid)

I was looking at jumping into an RS3 / RS4 avant / RS6 Avant but after this has happened I'm thinking a Range / x5 may be a better bet to put my money

any thoughts as to what the part is they need to replace?

Wow not good..
All I could think of is a split hose or something along that line:shrug:
Hope you get it sorted..What car have they given you in the meantime?

A6 TDI
rather a big boat!!

wheeled the porsche out the garage instead of that..

Does not sound good, and as suggested sounds like a leaky hose. I had similar lose of fluid in my old 2.0TDI SB after about 10k. I topped up myself and drove around paranoid with a bottle of top up in the boot for a coupe of months but in my case it was a one off .

I would think before you jump as it seems it's a single technical issue exasperated by poor service support. Could you expect a similar tech issue in a Range Rover or BMW and similar level of poor service, I would say yes but if you have lost all confidence then yes move on but you could expect the same from another premium brand.

Could possibly be early indications of a water pump failure, I too have a March 14 S3 S-Tronic and there were some around that time that suffered that issue. I've now done 13K in mine and whilst it loses a bit of water - as do others if you search on here - it seems to be a "feature" of some S3's unfortunately - although yours does sound a little more than that, so poss a hose loose or similar.

Leaky/faulty hoses aside, losing coolant is a known issue/occurance.

Please see the FAQ:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2287022

As for not towing a Haldex car with one of the axles on the ground - they are numpties.
How do they think it copes with the space saver spare wheel then !!

Which axle to raise off the ground:
VWoojcd.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas-suisse
Had the same issue with my 2015 S3 at 10 000 km. Coolant warning kept popping, although no water was missing from the water tank. Turned out to be a faulty sensor. Audi changed the whole water tank with its sensor and the issue was resolved.

If you're lucky you might get to join the 8v "water pump club". It's not that exclusive though...

Reactions: Wondering Soul
yep, new pump and thermostat - all ready for collection apparently!
that was quick...