VW emissions scandal lawsuit (UK)

owenjt

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted before, couldn't see anything when I searched.

Read an article this week about the launch of a lawsuit in the UK against VW re the emissions scandal. It's a '£30 million lawsuit from 10,000 VW Group owners in the UK, each asking for £3,000 in compensation', handled by legal firm Harcus Sinclair.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news

They've setup a dedicated website about the lawsuit and are inviting owners with cars involved in the scandal to join the claim: http://www.vwemissionsaction.com/.

Just wondering if anyone has heard about this or signed up? Thinking about joining the claim myself.

Reactions: NevMan
Just hoping I'll wake up one morning to find a cheque for £3,000 on the doormat :haha: :yahoo:

Reactions: Sandra
Never in a million years here. The consumer has not lost anything.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think it was on another forum where I read that if you're happy to sign away about 30% of any possible award then by all means go ahead and sign-up with that firm.
If however you are prepared to bide your time the best course would be to wait and see the outcome of that legal challenge and then (if they are successful) to put in your own claim direct......
A bit like PPI reclaiming really , sign-up if you're lazy or can't be bothered to do any leg-work ,lol.

Never in a million years here. The consumer has not lost anything.

That would be my question, what are you seeking compensating for? What have you lost?

They should be fined heavily from the relevant authorities for compromising the air quality, but that's not individual customers.

Probably the only argument is any perceived loss in car value as a result of people not wanting to buy EU5 diesels from the VAG...?

If you bought your diesel based on the claimed VW figures then it makes sense looking for some type of compensation otherwise diesel owners in general were duped as it now appears those types of vehicles are far worse polluters (in terms of carcinogenic particles) than petrol variants.

Reactions: DrEskimo and DeanoC
If you bought your diesel based on the claimed VW figures then it makes sense looking for some type of compensation otherwise diesel owners in general were duped as it now appears those types of vehicles are far worse polluters (in terms of carcinogenic particles) than petrol variants.
You're right but that dupe probably saved you money so the chance of getting anything other than a free fix is slim to none.

You're right but that dupe probably saved you money so the chance of getting anything other than a free fix is slim to none.

Saved money?

Reactions: DeanoC
Saved money?
Well if it was in a higher band you'd pay more tax. When we had the 190bhp tdi leon i though it was weird why it was more powerful than everything else in the class and less co2

Well if it was in a higher band you'd pay more tax. When we had the 190bhp tdi leon i though it was weird why it was more powerful than everything else in the class and less co2

This all involved NOx, not CO2. Diesels inherently put out much less CO2, but much more NOX. The cheat software meant it actually produced much more than it was allowed to according to EU5 testing regulations.

Ambulance chasing law firm. Even if I had still had my A3 2.0TDI I wouldn't sign up. I paid the tax based on the CO2, this case is about NOx.

I personally can't see how this has put the individual consumer out - I appreciate the green impact, environment etc - however, if the Government changes future tax bands or sent me a retrospective tax bill then I may reconsider.

Nevertheless I'm sure many will be after a quick buck and will sign on the dotted line...

EDIT: FWIW, I've now sold both diesels and reverted to petrol. I don't do many miles per year and it's cheaper by all accounts (will worry about resale value later on...)

Reactions: DrEskimo
It's true that you have been saving money by the way of a lower tax class. In the USA most of the claims were based on the fact that you thought you were buying a very low emissions engined car and you were doing your bit by saving the planet. So it's a pshycological argument against the VAG group that you were duped into buying a low emissions car. Whether you'll succeed in a claim if you bought a used car is up for debate but certainly you have a strong argument if it were a new car bought from an Audi dealer and was talked into the Audi having a lower polluting car than any of the rivals.
'Rivals' :sm4:, well they've all been at it as well as it turns out.

Ill be putting my name down for money. The wife brought a 2015 T5 California.

Might be unrelated but the MPG of it is shocking. She brought it to use mainly for work but it drinks diesel like anything. My S3 costs less to run and the ****** thing is a bluemotion with DSG and its just crap.

I questioned the dealer a few times but they said because it was heavy being a camper van they all drink

That would be my question, what are you seeking compensating for? What have you lost?
Loss in value of the car? Increased cost of running the car due to false economy figures? Falsely buying a thinking car believing it's low emissions? Inconvenience of having to take your car to the garage for repair?

The company has been dishonest to its customers and should be held accountable for their actions and be penalised.

Loss in value of the car? Increased cost of running the car due to false economy figures? Falsely buying a thinking car believing it's low emissions? Inconvenience of having to take your car to the garage for repair?

The company has been dishonest to its customers and should be held accountable for their actions and be penalised.

There needs to be a clarification between the difference in the test figures and true life, and then implementation of the cheat software that VAG used to get their diesel cars to pass the regulations falsely.

Now regarding inaccurate fuel economy and emission figures, this is true of every single car. These are standardised figures based on a unrealistic test to allow the testing agencies to test all cars across manufacturers. This is nothing specific to the VAG scandal.

As I said, the only loss I think you have incurred is potential loss in vehicle values. But arguably this will be seen across all diesel cars. I mean if the fix is applied, it's no different to other diesel cars.

As for having to take it for the fix....yea maybe....but what about any car that has to have warranty work due to a faulty problem. We all aren't going to claim compensation because it shouldn't of happened...

I agree with your last statement completely, but, this isn't a customer issue. This is an issue between VAG and the regulations and environmental health agencies. They should be fined heavily and made and example of from them, but I can't see any real argument from the customer point of view. Every diesel owner is in the same boat when it comes to realising the true impact of these cars.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Ill be putting my name down for money. The wife brought a 2015 T5 California.

Might be unrelated but the MPG of it is shocking. She brought it to use mainly for work but it drinks diesel like anything. My S3 costs less to run and the ****** thing is a bluemotion with DSG and its just ****.

I questioned the dealer a few times but they said because it was heavy being a camper van they all drink

Depends how bad it is, the dealer is correct, they are big and heavy and that doesn't help MPG but it should be better than an S3, what MPG are we talking about?

There needs to be a clarification between the difference in the test figures and true life, and then implementation of the cheat software that VAG used to get their diesel cars to pass the regulations falsely.

Now regarding inaccurate fuel economy and emission figures, this is true of every single car. These are standardised figures based on a unrealistic test to allow the testing agencies to test all cars across manufacturers. This is nothing specific to the VAG scandal.

As I said, the only loss I think you have incurred is potential loss in vehicle values. But arguably this will be seen across all diesel cars. I mean if the fix is applied, it's no different to other diesel cars.

As for having to take it for the fix....yea maybe....but what about any car that has to have warranty work due to a faulty problem. We all aren't going to claim compensation because it shouldn't of happened...

I agree with your last statement completely, but, this isn't a customer issue. This is an issue between VAG and the regulations and environmental health agencies. They should be fined heavily and made and example of from them, but I can't see any real argument from the customer point of view. Every diesel owner is in the same boat when it comes to realising the true impact of these cars.
Fair points. I still think there's a potential loss in vehicle value though, even with the fix applied.

Also, why did owners in the USA get compensation?

Fair points. I still think there's a potential loss in vehicle value though, even with the fix applied.

Also, why did owners in the USA get compensation?

Yea and that's a fair argument to make I think. Would be very difficult to prove, particularly if diesel cars in general see a decline in value, but an argument can certainly be made.

I would imagine the US are probably due to their wider 'compensation culture'.

At the end of the day its up to you. I'm sure an argument can be made on both sides.

This all involved NOx, not CO2. Diesels inherently put out much less CO2, but much more NOX. The cheat software meant it actually produced much more than it was allowed to according to EU5 testing regulations.
Exactly everyone jumped on the low carbon emissions 'band wagon' and sang the praises of diesel including the green movement at the time but ignored the carcinogenic emissions. If you're buying a diesel these days then it's not for any green credential or concern ...

Exactly everyone jumped on the low carbon emissions 'band wagon' and sang the praises of diesel including the green movement at the time but ignored the carcinogenic emissions. If you're buying a diesel these days then it's not for any green credential or concern ...
Indeed. I care about the environment so much i got rid of my 2.0tdi and got a 4.2 V8 petrol

Reactions: aqibi2000, downtothebone and Raiden

Hmmm not so sure it was ignored, but rather not well known, not communicated or dare I say, hidden from the general public. I have only sympathy for customers who bought diesel engines thinking they were doing there bit. A bit like electric cars, the incentives of low tax and low running costs also helped. I completely understand folk like the OP that feel aggrieved, but I think voting by leaving the brand will give a much more powerful message than just seeking compo. It has made me think twice about buying from the VAG....

While I don't do many miles, I openly admit that I'm not exactly one to preach given I drive a 3.0 V6, but unlike some, I fully accept the negative consequences of burning fossil fuels, and while there is no doubt I will miss the noise and thrill of a big petrol engine, I am excited about embracing the technology that comes with the inevitable move to electric vehicles.

Wish Audi would be more proactive and actually produce a decent range of hybrid and electric cars....that might go some way in making me respect the brand more.

Of course we all have our own opinions and ethics on this issue.

Sorry...completely OT!

Hmmm not so sure it was ignored, but rather not well known, not communicated or dare I say, hidden from the general public. I have only sympathy for customers who bought diesel engines thinking they were doing there bit. A bit like electric cars, the incentives of low tax and low running costs also helped. I completely understand folk like the OP that feel aggrieved, but I think voting by leaving the brand will give a much more powerful message than just seeking compo. It has made me think twice about buying from the VAG....

While I don't do many miles, I openly admit that I'm not exactly one to preach given I drive a 3.0 V6, but unlike some, I fully accept the negative consequences of burning fossil fuels, and while there is no doubt I will miss the noise and thrill of a big petrol engine, I am excited about embracing the technology that comes with the inevitable move to electric vehicles.

Wish Audi would be more proactive and actually produce a decent range of hybrid and electric cars....that might go some way in making me respect the brand more.

Of course we all have our own opinions and ethics on this issue.

Sorry...completely OT!

Point taken - story was spun a different way based on the carbon concerns at the time ... and same here I'm no model for being a green champion etc ...

not me but was thinking of signing sister up with hers , mine has dpf delete and mapped . was gonna get hers sorted first then borrow her dpf system and stick my original map back on ecu and get mine done . if we can screw 6k out of them between us then why not .
there only too happy to screw us over when it comes to buying a car , adding optional extras , having main dealer servicing done , about time they got so payback .
then once sorted il stick my mapped software back on swap my exhaust over and then map sisters car like i promised before this scandal started.

I did, but I no longer have the TDI. Not heard anything for months. Not that bothered tbh.

not me but was thinking of signing sister up with hers , mine has dpf delete and mapped . was gonna get hers sorted first then borrow her dpf system and stick my original map back on ecu and get mine done . if we can screw 6k out of them between us then why not .
there only too happy to screw us over when it comes to buying a car , adding optional extras , having main dealer servicing done , about time they got so payback .
then once sorted il stick my mapped software back on swap my exhaust over and then map sisters car like i promised before this scandal started.
I'm not sure it's wise to post your intentions of FRAUD on an open online forum.