Vibration from engine when turning at low speeds!! HELP!!

Mean_Grey_Machine

Reaction score
Hi,
My car seems to be vibrating heavily when turning at low revs. Recently had the auxillery belt and tensioner replaced under warranty, but this hasnt cured the problem. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Car is 2004 1.9 tdi Quattro

prob nothing to do with the engine, more to do with the steering, first thing i'd do would be to check the power steering fluid, low fluid levels = extra pressure on the pump = more power taken from the engine.

Im pretty sure the fluid levels are good, but ill check it when the wife gets back. cheers

Whats vibrating? The engine?

Its not quattro tyre scrub is it?

look at the belt again with it running, does the belt appaer to be whipping around and slipping?

most of these engines have a special alternator pulley. it designed to drive the alternator in its normal way, but its also a free wheelining design in the opposite direction.

when these fail it doesnt free wheel anymore..... this causes the belt to whip around on tick over and slip on the powersteering pulley when the steering is loaded up.

the pulleys are available separate to the alternator, but you need a special tool to remove it from the alternator shaft.

I will confirm that the problem is the alternator clutch pulley, very common and very cheap to remedy, but you do need the tool if you are doing it yourself, at my garage i charge around £100 quid to replace the pulley.

Thanks for the advice, ill look into it getting it done. i feel a little better knowing that its something that can be sorted easily.