VCDS Lite problems....

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a copy cable and VCDS Lite on my laptop and a few years ago successfully activated several of the convenience features on my '99 B5 A4 using it, eg auto-locking above 15mph and horn beep on locking vehicle.
As recently as 2013 I used it to enable cruise control after I had retro-fitted it.
Having a newly-acquired 2006 8P A3 I really would like to add the alarm chirp when locking vehicle as I find it one of the most useful mods....
I've just now tried to connect to the car, and whilst it will connect to the engine controller without any problem it will not connect to any other controller?
Can anyone suggest why it won't work?
It worked fine on my A4, is the A3 different in any way?
Thanks!

The cars pretty 2003 were k-line based. After 2003 they switch to the CAN network. 3rd party interfaces don't work with VCDS-lite for the CAN network. So unfortunately you will need a ross-tech cable.

Another alternative is the Carista app. Have a look in the stickys on the b8 forum there is a guide on there for it.

I thought that somehow they might have different wiring systems as I had heard of canbus before etc....
Many thanks for the info, am going to read your links now...
Cheers.

Reactions: EXSpartan36
Well, as an update I've just bought the Carista dongle from Amazon and I'm going to give it a go.
Expensive it may be but I need to get the jobs done quickly and I really don't want to be buying a succession of cheapy ones off eBay only to find they don't work....
Once it arrives tomorrow think I'm going to have hours of fun....
Thanks again.

£31 IIRC.
Obviously add on the in-App supplement for full functionality but then I'll be able to fiddle with all the settings.
It's being delivered tomorrow, can hardly wait,lol.

Reactions: EXSpartan36