Valve cover Gasket/ cam chain tensioner Gasket leak

hharry100

Reaction score
Hi, just want to thank everyone on Audisport s3/8L for the years of help if received while owning my S3, Im finally being forced to change my Valve cover gasket and cam chain cover Gasket which have a very slow leak for years, The reason I am finally replacing them is last week I started getting a misfire on cylinder 1 and when I had a look at the spark plug all I could see is a pool of oil in the spark plug chamber. I've been to Audi and picked up the gaskets to do the job but I have only managed to pick up the silicone sealant which I will use to seal the sump when I do my oil pickup pipe at a later date, The Audi parts dept. recommend I also buy
D174003M2 which is what is listed as the correct silicone for the valve cover Gasket, which I believe I only need a few dab at 8 points of the gasket, this silicone is £43
do I really need to use this stuff or is the sump silicone D176404M2 good enough?

Hi, just want to thank everyone on Audisport s3/8L for the years of help if received while owning my S3, Im finally being forced to change my Valve cover gasket and cam chain cover Gasket which have a very slow leak for years, The reason I am finally replacing them is last week I started getting a misfire on cylinder 1 and when I had a look at the spark plug all I could see is a pool of oil in the spark plug chamber. I've been to Audi and picked up the gaskets to do the job but I have only managed to pick up the silicone sealant which I will use to seal the sump when I do my oil pickup pipe at a later date, The Audi parts dept. recommend I also buy
D174003M2 which is what is listed as the correct silicone for the valve cover Gasket, which I believe I only need a few dab at 8 points of the gasket, this silicone is £43
do I really need to use this stuff or is the sump silicone D176404M2 good enough?
I used elring dirko gasket sealant when I did mine been sweet since last summer £6.76 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264292307585 I have plenty of info on this one and had some invaluable help from @<tuffty/> & @danny_dj3 last year.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
cheers mate, I need it asap as the cars off the road, been looking at the loctite gasket sealant but it confusing as they have a lot of sealants available I believe It Loctite 5926, which is available via amazon prime. don't fancy having to spend £43 as you only need 8 pea sized dabs of it on the gasket corners.

Reactions: MPH
cheers mate, I need it asap as the cars off the road, been looking at the loctite gasket sealant but it confusing as they have a lot of sealants available I believe It Loctite 5926, which is available via amazon prime. don't fancy having to spend £43 as you only need 8 pea sized dabs of it on the gasket corners.
Just get the one I put in the link @hharry100 read the description etc works perfectly. https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/cam-tensioner-gasket-problem.418450/

Last edited:
Thanks MPH I managed to get some elring Dirko HT from GSF today and got back to removing the cam chain tensioner gasket, only to find a small mesh filter had been pulled out with the gasket, looks like I'm in the same situation as you....
is the only plan of action a complete replacement or is there a work around???
how much is a new tensioner?

Attachments

• 20220223_164256.jpg
    20220223_164256.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 75
Thanks MPH I managed to get some elring Dirko HT from GSF today and got back to removing the cam chain tensioner gasket, only to find a small mesh filter had been pulled out with the gasket, looks like I'm in the same situation as you....
is the only plan of action a complete replacement or is there a work around???
how much is a new tensioner?
Seems it's not just me then must be related to age pressure contaminants etc, I could not find any option to replace the screen apart from buying a cheap one and trying to remove the screen and replacing it in the existing one! I thought it may break on removal or be a poor fit so gave that a miss! The next options are new from GSF not particularly cheap or source a good second hand one for the screen or direct replacement keep me updated on the outcome all the best Mark.

Last edited:
I Certainly didn't plan on having to completely remove the cam chain tensioner, so if its possible to insert a new mesh filter without complete removal I may try that.
I am also considering leaving the tensioner as is and just replace the gaskets and half moon piece, not sure how long the filter has had a piece missing from the mesh and so far it hasn't been a issue so may just wait until I need to replace and do it then, I'm more worried about where the missing piece of mesh has ended up, did you locate the missing piece of mesh from your tensioner?

I Certainly didn't plan on having to completely remove the cam chain tensioner, so if its possible to insert a new mesh filter without complete removal I may try that.
I am also considering leaving the tensioner as is and just replace the gaskets and half moon piece, not sure how long the filter has had a piece missing from the mesh and so far it hasn't been a issue so may just wait until I need to replace and do it then, I'm more worried about where the missing piece of mesh has ended up, did you locate the missing piece of mesh from your tensioner?
I never did find the missing pieces even though the system has had an oil flush, and I have a magnetic goldplug sump drain looks like it had broken into small bits overtime again I had no issues but I am sure it's there for a reason that's why I ended up swapping it out with a second hand one courtesy of @danny_dj3 and no problems since.

The easiest option for me is to order a cheap/used unit and and remove the mesh and then try to insert it into my tensioner through the 15mm gap that I removed the cam chain tensioner gasket through...wish me luck

The easiest option for me is to order a cheap/used unit and and remove the mesh and then try to insert it into my tensioner through the 15mm gap that I removed the cam chain tensioner gasket through...wish me luck
Sounds like my original plan it's very fiddly work I ended up taking the cam out to replace it lol so good luck to you sir keep me updated with the outcome

Hi , just to update managed to fit the valve cover gasket without issue, i managed release the tension in the chain using the cam chain tensioner tool without too much bother but i did slightly over tighten it and saw cracks apear on the platic tool but it held out while I completed the job, also managed to source the small mesh filter and insert it under the cam tensioner even though it is fiddly and tight while it still had the chain around it, its all back together and no signs of leaks even managed to spray paint the valve cover while it was off.

Attachments

• 20220222_125728.jpg
    20220222_125728.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 20220222_200735.jpg
    20220222_200735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20220223_165952.jpg
    20220223_165952.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20220224_211953.jpg
    20220224_211953.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20220225_165630.jpg
    20220225_165630.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 20220225_165943.jpg
    20220225_165943.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 20220225_165939.jpg
    20220225_165939.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: MPH
Hi , just to update managed to fit the valve cover gasket without issue, i managed release the tension in the chain using the cam chain tensioner tool without too much bother but i did slightly over tighten it and saw cracks apear on the platic tool but it held out while I completed the job, also managed to source the small mesh filter and insert it under the cam tensioner even though it is fiddly and tight while it still had the chain around it, its all back together and no signs of leaks even managed to spray paint the valve cover while it was off.
@hharry100 excellent well done where did you manage to source the mesh filter as I have a spare tensioner without one thanks in advance Mark

I'm about to do this job myself, where does the sealant go? I used to have a good guide saved but I can't find it now.