USB cable issue

cam87

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I picked up my S3 a couple of weeks ago and pretty much since the beginning the AMI sometimes things the USB is not present and I have to pull the USB out and put it back in again and all is back to normal for about 5 days. I didn't haver any problems with the USB in my 8P and its only about 6 months old.
Has anyone else had this?

I have the same issue cam - not sure on a fix but I do remember it happening on my previous VW Golf R as well.

Have a feeling it may be the USB stick itself, and the connection, rather than the cable... My solution involves eventually moving to SD cards for media.

Had the same when I plugged a USB stick with music on into the cable supplied, sometimes it was as if the USB stick had locked up, as you say a simple pull out and plug back in works...but I couldn't be bothered messing around like that! So I bought an SD card and put all the music on that, it works a lot better and keeps the cable in the middle of the car spare for my phone to charge.

I got this one for just over £11...prices change daily! Amazon product TBH the 16GB one would be big enough, it was only because the 32GB version (at the time) was only £2 more, so I went for that one.

PS: Don't pay for 1st class delivery, it gets here just as quick using free super saver delivery! I ordered a 32GB micro sd card for my dashcam on easter Sunday for £9.99 it still gave the option in the basket for free delivery! On easter Monday I got an email to say that it had been dispatched, Tuesday morning another email to say it was out for delivery...Tuesday afternoon it was pushed through the door!

Last edited:
I have the same issue cam - not sure on a fix but I do remember it happening on my previous VW Golf R as well.

Have a feeling it may be the USB stick itself, and the connection, rather than the cable... My solution involves eventually moving to SD cards for media.

Yeah the SD card was my next step too, it worked perfectly fine in my RNS-E 8P but obviously the 8v doesn't like it much.

Thanks for the reply

Had the same when I plugged a USB stick with music on into the cable supplied, sometimes it was as if the USB stick had locked up, as you say a simple pull out and plug back in works...but I couldn't be bothered messing around like that! So I bought an SD card and put all the music on that, it works a lot better and keeps the cable in the middle of the car spare for my phone to charge.

I got this one for just over £11...prices change daily! Amazon product TBH the 16GB one would be big enough, it was only because the 32GB version (at the time) was only £2 more, so I went for that one.

PS: Don't pay for 1st class delivery, it gets here just as quick using free super saver delivery! I ordered a 32GB micro sd card for my dashcam on easter Sunday for £9.99 it still gave the option in the basket for free delivery! On easter Monday I got an email to say that it had been dispatched, Tuesday morning another email to say it was out for delivery...Tuesday afternoon it was pushed through the door!

Thanks for the advice mate it appreciated. I have bought 2 previous cards from amazon but its a worry if the cards are genuine as a lot aren't according to the reviews but with buying direct from amazon themselves it should be ok.

Thanks