Tyre troubles

zooankski

Reaction score
I have had my A3 saloon for 11 months and since before Christmas have noticed some steering wheel vibration.
I have had the balance checked twice and yesterday decided to pop back to the powder coaters ( i did not like the diamond cut finish and curbed one a bit anyway! ) so they could take a look.
18" rims are fine, however both front Dunlop sportmaxx tyres are deformed and it was clearly visable as they were on the balance machine!! Has anyone else had this type of issue? Not sure if i have a case with Audi here or not. There is no reason for the deformation at all and a quick Google does bring up other people who have had Dunlop issues.

Can't comment on my A3, but had a similar thing with my wife's old 207CC when she changed the front tyres. All was good before but afterwards, there was a 'wobbling' effect from the stearing at certain speeds. Took it back to the garage and they claimed it was a buckled wheel. After explaining to the so-called-technician that you can clearly see the tyre had a deformity in it, they quickly back down and ordered a replacement. This was a Conti SC5.

Not sure you have a case with Audi, but would think you had one with Dunlop. I had a problem a few years back with the rear tyre on my motorcycle which I took up with the manufacturer, they deemed it a manufacturing fault and replaced the tyre.

So would suggest you contact Dunlop in first instance rather than Audi - although no harm in going both routes!