Turbo swap.

Tomsy

KERNOW
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been trying to swap out my fubar turbo and have two issues I need help with, the fist one is the turbo manifold bolts... I have managed to round off one and can’t think of a way around it?
The next issue is the turbo support bracket bolt is seized and will not turn and I think the nut is now rounded off.
Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

I find the best method to remove the turbo bolts is to apply heat so generally use a 'blow torch' to warm them first and they then tend to be easier to crack off...

If you have rounded any then unfortunately the only real solution is to drill the head of the bolt off

Plenty of penetration fluid is a good idea prior to removing the bolts but if you have rounded off the support bracket bolt then its a bit of a ****** to get too...

These work well on bolts in general....
Amazon product

...but again heat and penetrating fluid is your friend....

You can remove the bracket from the block but you need to get the transfer box off first iirc..

<tuffty/>

I find the best method to remove the turbo bolts is to apply heat so generally use a 'blow torch' to warm them first and they then tend to be easier to crack off...

If you have rounded any then unfortunately the only real solution is to drill the head of the bolt off

Plenty of penetration fluid is a good idea prior to removing the bolts but if you have rounded off the support bracket bolt then its a bit of a ****** to get too...

These work well on bolts in general....
Amazon product

...but again heat and penetrating fluid is your friend....

You can remove the bracket from the block but you need to get the transfer box off first iirc..

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply,
Looks like I’ve got a great Sunday ahead of me!
Those bolts are hardened so lots of drill bits are going to die.
Thanks <tuffty/>

IIRC the turbo bolts are M10's so use something suitable to drill the head off and don't drill into the manifold if you can help it...

Not had to do it myself but it wouldn't be a bad idea to drill a pilot hole with smaller drill first and use some sort of lube as you drill to help lengthen the life of the bits...

GL dude

<tuffty/>

IIRC the turbo bolts are M10's so use something suitable to drill the head off and don't drill into the manifold if you can help it...

Not had to do it myself but it wouldn't be a bad idea to drill a pilot hole with smaller drill first and use some sort of lube as you drill to help lengthen the life of the bits...

GL dude

<tuffty/>
Thanks mate

A little update...

I drilled the turbo manifold nut but I killed lots of drill bits!
I n the end I used my dreamily and some milling type bits and ground down the top of the bolt head and eventually it was free.. great!
The next job was the turbo support but/bolt which again I used the dremil with an “ezi” on cutting wheel, I used the dremil extension and cut the end of the bolt off from the o/s wheel arch.
After that it was pretty much plain sailing after that, turbo swapped oil in tomorrow then crank it over with coils out.