TURBO questions...

Adam.Z

Adam.Z S3/07
Reaction score
Sorry if this is dumb to ask ...

How can one tell if my S3's turbo is kaputt?? Reason why i ask is that the "shove in the back" when the turbo kicks in ... ain't so shovey anymore. Well that's how i feel ... or have i just got used to the turbo by now after 3 months? Also, some people on here talk about a slight whistle when turbo kicks in? I havent heard that at all i think. :think:

Also, out of interest what other cars did people compare before buying the S3? I test drove the new TT 3.2 DSG and was interested in the new BMW 3 series, but they just ignored me in the showroom. Besides I thought the plastic interior in the new 3 series was a tad bit "cheap" looking.

Well mate, got the new S3 as well not a "big shove in the back" with this turbo and not much lag so I guess you felt it more, probably bacause you came from slower or non turbo car and now you are just used to it....

My S3 doesn't excite me that much, now that I'm used to it... its fast sure!

Look at you speed dial and if yoo think that it is slow take it to the dealership, I'm sure they can check turbo boost pressure and diagnose a fault... my guess.... just got used to it mate...

Pedro

Adam.Z said:
Sorry if this is dumb to ask ...

How can one tell if my S3's turbo is kaputt?? Reason why i ask is that the "shove in the back" when the turbo kicks in ... ain't so shovey anymore. Well that's how i feel ... or have i just got used to the turbo by now after 3 months? Also, some people on here talk about a slight whistle when turbo kicks in? I havent heard that at all i think. :think:

Also, out of interest what other cars did people compare before buying the S3? I test drove the new TT 3.2 DSG and was interested in the new BMW 3 series, but they just ignored me in the showroom. Besides I thought the plastic interior in the new 3 series was a tad bit "cheap" looking.

get it remapped.

You have probs got slightly used to it, especially if you cane it everwhere.

I had this response to a similar question on here a while ago after someone who thrashed it everywhere was complaining it didn't feel fast anymore.

Iv'e had mine since Jan and I still feel the shove when driving it and the turbo noise is a very loud whistle when pressing on. Try putting your foot down (a far bit down on the accelerator) in 3rd or 4th gear you should hear a loud turbo whistle and then take your foot off the accelerator quickly and you should hear a another noise as the air is dumped.

I guess you guys are probably right saying I have got used to it by now....although i dont cane it everywhere...not in town anyway :eyebrows: I still get shocked looking at the speedo...not realising how quickly the speed has gone up. Out of the roundabout and on to the dual carriageway and before i know it is 90mph!

Yes i came from a slow slow car before hand .. a 14 year old Nissan Micra 1.0L ... so a BIT of a step up for me.

I will try the 3rd...4th gear thing. Is that when the turbo kicks in?? What about 2nd gear?

As for remap .... i guess i dont want to mess with it too much due to warranty reasons.

if your turbo is goosed then you'll know about it was it will be pouring black smoke out!

The turbo kicks in on every gear!

Just more chance to notice it in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th gears as they are longer, beofre you know it when you rev 1st and 2nd you have to change up!

LoL well that would be obvious to spot....which aint happening thankfully.

Just out of interest does anyone know how many S3s have been sold in Britain to date? It seems now about a third of regulars here own one now but yet I've only ever seen three on the roads here (granted I'm not in the country very much).

No idea... although the Bath Audi dealership said they only make 1500 S3's a year. The Bath Audi dealership catchment area was only allowed an allocation of 5 S3's for the year!