Tuning box installed: spark knock under acceleration

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
I purchased a CRTD4 TWIN Channel Diesel Tuning Box Chip by TDI-Tuning.co.uk and installed it two days back. I can't comment on any power gain yet, but what I noticed instantly is that the engine does an annoying pre-ignition type spark knock under any, even slightest, acceleration. I would remember if I had it before.

Anyone with an engine re-map or a chip tuning box, did you experience the same?

Anyone?

Also, who knows where is a boost pressure sensor located on an 8P A3 1.6 TDI (engine code CAYC)?

Hmmm, I'd return for a refund then and get a proper remap done.
TDI Tuning took the box back for inspection. The inspection didn't show any fault. They said the 1.6 TDI engine is prone to diesel knock and some cars require a different map to avoid it. They adjusted the maps and sent the box back to me. It just arrived. I'm going to try it again in an hour. Hope the problem is solved.

That's good that they took it back and adjusted the map but wouldn't it have been nice had they known which 1.6 tdi engines are affected and sent you one with the correct map first time round. Diesel knock sounds painful to anyone with an ounce of mechanical sympathy.

I received the box back and tried with all seven maps. Nothing changed. Same knocks, ticks and growl. I went to a REVO dealer this morning. He said there's always problem with the 1.6 TDI engine, both with tuning boxes and remaps. I decided to return the box and I'm considering to get another car with more powerful engine.

Reactions: Gazwould
Was always a slight knock on start up on my 1.6 diesel Alfa with a tuning box but the box was on the car for 3 and a bit years and worked flawlessly with no issues during that time, so I don't think it's an issue. No knocking with the same box on my 3.0 biTDI but much noticeable gains :D

TDI Tuning asked me to disconnect the boost part of the harness and try the box with the fuel part only. I did and nothing changed. It worked without the boost part the same as with it connected. I guess something was wrong with the boost part of the box or harness. As they inspected the box and didn't find any issues, only the boost remains unchecked. But I didn't send them the harness for inspection with the box last time. I'm returning it all to them today.

Let us know what they find.
Actually, it was a return for a refund. I can ask them to let me know if they find anything that can explain the issue. I still hope that there was some wiring defect or something like this.