Transmission/Colour Decision

Louay

Reaction score
Hello All!Option A. Manual and Racing Blue MicaOption B. S-Tronic and Panther Black Either option please only. Is s-tronic really that desirable? Car to be used for smooth light traffic commute with little, if any, start stop traffic. I'm thinking option (A) with any savings made being used for first year insurance and mods? Would like to hear what you the experts think. Always appreciated. L

I'm not sure what the S-tronic is like on the A3/S3, but when I had a TT courtesy car with it I wasn't very impressed. My two pennies.

Are you looking at an A3 or an S3?

S-Tronic is alot stronger gearbox. I'd stick with that if you want to start uprating power. stage 1 maps can destroy your clutch so the manual clutches are fairly useless other than standard.

Yes replace with a Sachs clutch, sit down when they bring out the bill. stage 2+ and s-Tronic boxes are still fine.

My s-Tronic was cheaper to insure than my manual and it was newer by 3 years.

so S-Tronic and black for me...

Hi MarkLooking at an S3, I have read previous threads on here and other forums and it seems to be split 50/50 but wanted people's thoughts on my options. So what option would you go for on an S3 sportback?

I guess everything you see on here will be down to individual preference. My best advice is take each of them for a test drive and see which one you prefer driving! And they're both really good colours!

I've had both boxes on the S3. it's no contest in my book. yes the manual is good. but it's expensive if you want to start the tuning route.

Don't intend to tune it pass stage 1 or 300bhp if that helps you and any further people posting?

S-tronic and racing mica! Lol.. Seriously though s-tronic FTW, so black it is?

Definitely option a, racing mica blue is the nicest colour!! and stronic is such a good transmission and you don't have to worry about clutches like you do with a manual that has been tunes

Chris

I think blue beats black more than S-Tronic beats manual (though I'd say manual wins too), so pretty easy one for me - get the Mica!

Similar choice when I went looking at S3's 2 fully loaded BE's one red and manual, one black with S-tronic....
tried the S-tronic first..didn't bother with the manual lol

Chris So you would go for option a. Blue and manual?Quattro81 panther and s-tronic? L

Similar choice when I went looking at S3's 2 fully loaded BE's one red and manual, one black with S-tronic....
tried the S-tronic first..didn't bother with the manual lol

I can picture it now, woah lads + ladettes look at this stunningly beautiful Mica blue S3. I've just had it mapped to stage 1 and I think the clutch is slipping.

With any stage 1 map on these cars. Always have 1k at least sat in a kitty to have it done. it will go, sooner rather than later.
So if you have some spare cash then go manual and mica. it will be lovely.

Yes i think i would go for option a because i love that colour so much and know how rare it is to see on an a3/s3, the s tronic is a good transmission but if you are only tuning to 300 hp i don't think your clutch will be struggling to cope, i love s tronic but do sometimes wish i had chosen manual!!

Chris

S-Tronic hands down.

If your planning on re-mapping at all then you dont need to budget for an uprated clutch (£1200) with the S-Tronic.

Also panther black is a stunning colour if well looked after.