Facelift Towbar S3?

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
Hi All

Just looking for some advice. Don't really want to get rid of my S3 Saloon but circumstances have changed slightly and now need a towing vehicle. The S3 is obviously more than adequate enough power wise but was just wondering if anyone has fitted one to theirs/had one fitted, and how the car performs, perhaps to tow your caravan or something?

Cheers

Can't comment on the towbar, but the biggest issue is what size caravan you'd be going for, as depending on size would depend on the match between the kerb weight of the S3 and the van, they recommend a 85% match between car to caravan weight. If that helps at all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Can't comment on the towbar, but the biggest issue is what size caravan you'd be going for, as depending on size would depend on the match between the kerb weight of the S3 and the van, they recommend a 85% match between car to caravan weight. If that helps at all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's just a small 4 berth, only 850kg.

Reactions: Adam14
Think the exhaust is in the way that’s why Audi don’t make a tow bar for the s3.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Ive been looking into this as i could do with a towbar for a bike carrier

Audi have not given the S3 a towing capacity so legally i don't think you can tow with it

Nowhere in the UK seems willing to fit a towbar to an S3, not sure if that's because of the exhaust routing or because it dosent having a towing capacity

Now here's the odd thing, there is a company in Australia who fit towbars to S3's so it can be done, even shows pics with one fitted to an S3

https://australiatowbars.com.au/aud...Of3Jj185EWaPKBFSPTxoCeR4QAvD_BwE#ig_lightbox2[gal]/1/

It can obviously be done and the way it fits I can't see why the exhaust should be in the way. But the 8V S3 is not type approved to tow and doing so would invalidate your insurance - but don't see why you can't fit a towbar to use for a bike rack.

Fitting a towbar is really easy to do yourself - provided you have the tools, are brave enough to remove the bumper, cut a hole in it then re-fit. You will probably have to drop the exhaust for access to bolt the bar to the chassis rails.
Personally, I'd sooner do this than fit roof rails.

Upload 2019 6 7 21 40 45

Upload 2019 6 7 21 50 30
Upload 2019 6 7 21 52 45

Upload 2019 6 7 21 51 53

Last edited:
It is illegal to tow more than the vehicle's rated towing capacity. For the S3, this is zero.

Mechanically, fitting a tow bar isn't too difficult, but the zero weight limit is fixed and cannot be altered.